Prediction New Senior Coach

Who should be appointed our new coach from 2020 onwards?

• Sam Mitchell

Votes: 42 14.1%
  • Paul Roos

Votes: 8 2.7%
  • Brett Ratten

Votes: 31 10.4%
  • Horse Longmire

Votes: 41 13.8%
  • Adam Kingsley

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • Other

Votes: 108 36.2%
  • Adam Simpson

Votes: 28 9.4%
  • Alistair Clarkson

Votes: 35 11.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never liked him but something about Roos appeals more than Longmire.

Ah yeah totally.

Roos is bagged the hell out of (i actually like him, bit mercenary but if you're good?) but i think he'd be great mentor to Shaw. (I've given him the job)

Longmire a definite no to coach us.

Shaw coaches we don't lose to Sydney (worst live lose I've seen in years. Dominated outside mostly one quarter and cost us....way (way) too late to adjust).........and arguably Lions.

Scott had no composure - far from saying Shaw is a magician, he might fail in the end, but he seems far better on game day to hit start or hit stop.

Scott Hit Plan A on Wednesday and then we'll cross our fingers.

7.5 on ladder (should be) and we are right there so i for one am not throwing away the season yet. Cats looks great.....yet we could have beaten them too.

This game a great test for Shaw. I believe we will win.

So Joyce is going to interview a candidate for a job who might then tell Joyce that he wants his own footy manager?
What happens then?

This is completely off by the club. The review also seems flawed.
What are we wanting to achieve first?

So Joyce is going to interview a candidate for a job who might then tell Joyce that he wants his own footy manager?
What happens then?

This is completely off by the club. The review also seems flawed.
What are we wanting to achieve first?
Joyce needs to go now or should not be part of the process

Is a dead man walking and shouldn’t have a say

Don't be shocked if Roos is the "external consultant" to the panel to determine our next coach.

This is not a man that wants to commit to a football club long term, he has his uses elsewhere though.

Everyone on the Shaw wagon seriously need to understand that this game plan we are playing decent footy under is Scotts game plan! This is not Shaws footy! Shaw has come out and stated on multiple occasions he’s a really defensive coach! He is exactly what horse made him, UGLY BORING BAT **** FOOTY THAT DOESNT WIN FLAGS! Is he a good people manager? Yes, is he great defensively? Yes, will he formulate an attacking game where by we will win flags? Thats debatable! Shaw needs to have attacking coaches around him or the role needs to be given to one with shaw as the defensive coach! I dont want horse either however I can see a terrific coaching staff if we poached 2 assistants from WINNING clubs!

I totally get that.

That's why the players and coach constantly say things haven't changed much.

All he is doing is making Scott's plan work.

Its a bizarre situation really. We had to sack the coach and get someone who isn't sure what they are doing in order to make the sacked coaches game plan work.

Everyone on the Shaw wagon seriously need to understand that this game plan we are playing decent footy under is Scotts game plan! This is not Shaws footy! Shaw has come out and stated on multiple occasions he’s a really defensive coach! He is exactly what horse made him, UGLY BORING BAT **** FOOTY THAT DOESNT WIN FLAGS! Is he a good people manager? Yes, is he great defensively? Yes, will he formulate an attacking game where by we will win flags? Thats debatable! Shaw needs to have attacking coaches around him or the role needs to be given to one with shaw as the defensive coach! I dont want horse either however I can see a terrific coaching staff if we poached 2 assistants from WINNING clubs!

1560252590220.jpeg

1560252661102.jpeg

I'm not a stats person however some smarter peeps than me have posted stats about changes in key areas under The Shaw Thing as coach like kicks to handball ratios, other posters have commented on playing players in their natural positions and I believe we have had 3 of our biggest consecutive scores ( not to mention wins) for quite some time. Now I admit I may be completely clueless however if I was Sherlock Holmes and you were mr Watson I would be saying "it's elementary my dear Watson, north are no longer playing to Scott's plan".

Stern look

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only pro I can see in having Joyce on the Coach selection panel, is that he would probably be the best of those named to provide answers to any questions candidates may have regarding the actual playing list, as far as having any input on the selection process, a big No from me.

Negativity towards Horse here is laughable.

We've got more votes for Sam Mitchell, who's been an assistant for two years, than a premiership-winner who has the fourth best winning percentage of anyone who has coached more than 100 games in the history of the sport.

Glad you lot don't get a say on this decision. Mitchell could be the next Clarkson, but he's far more likely to be the next Neeld.

Joyce stays.

Joyce is very highly regarded internally and has done some good things in recent times

Interesting read in an article earlier that the structure had him equal with Scott and that caused them to have issues??? I’d be interested to know what that means?

I trust the review to sort this question out but I have no issue with him.

I don’t believe he is responsible for match day selections and player development or game day tactics.

He makes sure we operate well is my understanding and we go pretty well off the field.

Wheres the other 5 flags any other coach would have won with Cola allowances? Only 2? Even brad scott would have won flags at Sydney.. theyve had the best FWD in the game and havent won one with him! Under achievers, both of em!

Gold Coast and GWS have really needed to install some trophy cabinets after their 1st 8 years yeh?

So 3 of them extended Brads contract and now the same guys are going to recommend who is north’s coach? That’s pretty weak

I do wonder if his extension harks back to the club’s change in philosophy at board level when Boomer et al were pensioned off and Brad took the heat on his lonesome. A kind of “ok, well done, here’s your extension but do understand that we’ll be reviewing your tenure as time advances regardless.”

I do wonder if his extension harks back to the club’s change in philosophy at board level when Boomer et al were pensioned off and Brad took the heat on his lonesome. A kind of “ok, well done, here’s your extension but do understand that we’ll be reviewing your tenure as time advances regardless.”

Very observant TT.

It's also indicative of the non football element in board decision making, that it sought a political outcome for what was a football issue.

They still have time to save themselves, but only if AFL football becomes their 100% driving focus. They have found out the hard way this year that the shelf life of all the airy fairy bullshit that has latched on to the club is only stabilized by the AFL team on the ground. Everything else is a distant second. They need to get a minimum of a couple of strong NM football people on the board guiding the on field decision making.

If we stall at the gates again in 2020, then the board must be removed, and I don't give a flying **** how many community awards they pick up between now & then.

Last edited:
...........and let me state this while we are on the matter.

The attempt to separate the NMFC in to on-field and off-field categorisations is a total exercise in distraction.

The NMFC boards only purpose of existence is to facilitate the on field optimization & success of the NMFC AFL football team.

Everything else is a very distant second. Let's hear no more bull s**t about this.

This might sound a little harsh but when I look at the North hierarchy I dont see a lot of experience in list and player management and even less in how to select a senior coach considering most of them have only known the one coach. Bringing in a consultant therefore makes sense.

Whilst I like Shaw the honeymoon period will soon pass and we will then start setting expectations around list and player management that he may not have developed the skill sets for.........that probably goes for Joyce as well.........i can therefore see why someone like a Longmire or Roos appeals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back