Prediction New Senior Coach

Who should be appointed our new coach from 2020 onwards?

• Sam Mitchell

Votes: 42 14.1%
  • Paul Roos

Votes: 8 2.7%
  • Brett Ratten

Votes: 31 10.4%
  • Horse Longmire

Votes: 41 13.8%
  • Adam Kingsley

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • Other

Votes: 108 36.2%
  • Adam Simpson

Votes: 28 9.4%
  • Alistair Clarkson

Votes: 35 11.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bugsy Malone

Cancelled
Jul 10, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Next two games will be important for Shaw's future coaching North. I really hope the boys can play the same brand of footy they have shown for the last three weeks. I am sick of the pies smashing us for the last few years, if Shaw can get this team playing footy with intensity on a weeky basis he will get the job.F*** the draft picks this year can still turn out to be a great ride.

marklovesbeer

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 8, 2010
South Adelaide
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
South Adelaide Panthers
Yeah near 100 points against Freo (a barely good team), beaten by Lions to home comprehensively (don't let margin fool you), a Good Friday performance we deserve to lose the slot as completely uncompetitive, then Swans despite a massive advantage.

Yes a trainwreck.

I feel the win against Adelaide (who aren’t horrible) was solid enough & from Rounds 6 through 10 (when the train driver was still on board) we played some decent footy at times.
Go back & look at the results. Our overall win/loss margin for those 5 games was +38 all up.
Sure, it could have been better, but I think you’re dismissing all the good footy that was played in patches there.

Rhyce hasn’t come in & singlehandedly turned the club upside down & made everything perfect mate.

Carlton, Gold Coast & St Kilda are train wrecks.

Yeah near 100 points against Freo (a barely good team), beaten by Lions to home comprehensively (don't let margin fool you), a Good Friday performance we deserve to lose the slot as completely uncompetitive, then Swans despite a massive advantage.

Yes a trainwreck.

Melodramatic nonsense.

I agree with you to an extent but the reality of things was not a train wreck in my opinion.

Happy for you to have yours but you shouldn’t believe that everyone shares your opinion

hilly

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 27, 2000
Frank Grey Smith Bar
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Triple M commentary team
Not sure of the relevance to Giants in this discussion. I want a coach who plays a positive brand of footy - Horse does not. He has a very good win loss ratio but one flag when he has had the cattle, COLA etc, including the best forward in the AFL, does not get me excited. He will most likely be our coach and must say if he can work to that win loss ratio with our team we would enjoy the ride. But his lack of flags says he isn't elite and to get him we would have to pay at elite level. Just my humble opinion.

Ran head first into a white-hot Hawthorn in 2014
Genuinely unlucky in 2016. Buddy on one leg after quarter-time, about 30 less free kicks and lost by a few kicks.

hilly

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 27, 2000
Frank Grey Smith Bar
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Triple M commentary team
I feel the win against Adelaide (who aren’t horrible) was solid enough & from Rounds 6 through 10 (when the train driver was still on board) we played some decent footy at times.
Go back & look at the results. Our overall win/loss margin for those 5 games was +38 all up.
Sure, it could have been better, but I think you’re dismissing all the good footy that was played in patches there.

Rhyce hasn’t come in & singlehandedly turned the club upside down & made everything perfect mate.

Carlton, Gold Coast & St Kilda are train wrecks.

We lost to a NEAFL side in Hobart as well.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
The Longmire speculation is starting to become ground hog day for North.

Well, it's actually ground hog day for the media mate.

We're just playing the role of Bill Murray.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Club just needs to hold its nerve on both media interaction and coach recruitment process.

No need to feed the speculation unless it serves our purposes. No need to panic into making a choice or begging someone against their will to move to us.

If Carlton were to suddenly appear to be throwing truckloads of money to convince Longmire to move, let them. If Clarkson (for instance) was somehow pulled into a long drawn out headhunting process a la Brian Cook where its obvious his heart wasn't in a move, leave it.

We lost to a NEAFL side in Hobart as well.
Despite Buckley saying that the Sydney game had no impact on the decision and timing of Scott's exit, I reckon it did in the timing of it. He may have got a few more weeks or coached the year out but that terrible loss stamped his papers IMO.

We're going long down the boundary more instead of short passes or fart arsing around with handballs by the D50 trying to break their zone. Several players are also noticeably more proactive (LDU + Polec) due to a change in messaging. Higgins is an interesting one, and honestly what I was seeing the last couple of weeks was him NOT pausing for a half second with the ball in hand looking for a lateral option, which seems to have resulted in more fast first choice options being executed (Still hacking it from the middle a bit too much though!). Add in a 'hunt and hurt' focus and we're getting great results, albeit against some poor opponents.

This is something that really stands out to me.

I think Scott's was too risk averse and didn't like telling his players to back their teammates in at a contest. That's why we'd go laterally so often. (Also why players kick to poor options cos often a contest is a better option than a player who seems on their own. Its easy to close down a lone player if you are within 20 metres of them. You can cover that 20m in 2 - 2.5 sec if you are already on the move and often the ball takes that long to get there.)

If you are allowed/prepared to back your teammates in one on one you are more likely to go long and quickly in their direction.

Our lateral movement worked well when particular players were involved - Hall, Ats and Polec specifically, Pittard contributed well and LDU, Bailey Scott and TT also got involved when it worked. But it was so often the first option the players chose instead of a response to not having a good pathway long down the line. We we went lateral then ducked back thru the corridor it looked really good. I hope we still use that lateral movement cos the best teams do both well. But it was so frequent and often at the cost of quick forward movement that was risky but had plenty of potential upside.

Good sides are much better at cashing in on poor movement forward to contests than the Dogs, Suns or even Tigers without their best backs tho, so i guess we'll see how this plays out over the next 2 games.

Our long kicks from a kick out were good too. Down the middle more and we seemed to do better from them but I guess I'd need to see stats to be sure of that. For years we have all complained about how poor we are from kick outs.

I think perhaps the instructions to play laterally were part of our preperation to get that style of play right. Obviously this should have been sorted in the preseason and as many of you have mentioned our unreadiness was terrible this year and really cost us. Maybe they were playing a whole new game style cos Maj was unavailable. I dunno but its still not good enough.

I like it when we spread the ball quickly sideways then forward from the HBF. It worked well with the new players at times and opened up heaps of space for leading forwards but should probably be a fall back option or second choice rather than a go to plan with this side. Especially if we sort out better forward structure (which seems to be happening). You don't need to rely on switching to give you key forward space all the time if you have several good forwards working well together.

Not a great coach despite his W/L record (which is like saying Cameron is a great coach.....when you take a Ferrari it's very highly likely your driving ability won't determine if you still beat a Corolla to the line)

Its harder to drive those high end sports cars than normal cars. If you dunno what you are doing the Corolla will win every time and you'll be grinding gears and looking silly.

Despite Buckley saying that the Sydney game had no impact on the decision and timing of Scott's exit, I reckon it did in the timing of it. He may have got a few more weeks or coached the year out but that terrible loss stamped his papers IMO.

Watch the footage of Buckley and that guy from the boat line that sponsors our Hobart games. Buckley's body language says "this campaigner is dead".

Exactly. Built an elite backline almost entirely out of rookie listed players. If that doesn't prove the ability to develop and strategise, nothing does.

Is that Horse or their club/footy department tho? Not saying you don't have a point either, its a good point but how much of it is down to Longmire and how much is down to the system he is part of?

Is that Horse or their club/footy department tho? Not saying you don't have a point either, its a good point but how much of it is down to Longmire and how much is down to the system he is part of?
Well, Shaw was their defensive coach up until this season ;)

Bit extreme.

This season was a train wreck. It should have been Brad's year. He should have finally made the top four with the list he has, but he ****ed it up totally.

Its on par with Battle of Karánsebes in terms of * ups.

Well, Shaw was their defensive coach up until this season ;)

I know. We may have the guy responsible for their backline anyway. (He was certainly responsible for some aspects of it tho recruitment ... i have no idea.) Tho he was playing not coaching this time 4 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back