Prediction New Senior Coach

Who should be appointed our new coach from 2020 onwards?

• Sam Mitchell

Votes: 42 14.1%
  • Paul Roos

Votes: 8 2.7%
  • Brett Ratten

Votes: 31 10.4%
  • Horse Longmire

Votes: 41 13.8%
  • Adam Kingsley

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • Other

Votes: 108 36.2%
  • Adam Simpson

Votes: 28 9.4%
  • Alistair Clarkson

Votes: 35 11.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do wonder though if Shaw will have the same amount of love and backing as next senior coach, if we lose our next 3 games, which is possible.

Depends how we play in the supposed loses.

All hard games. If we turn up, crack in and give a good account of ourselves - I think most supporters will be understanding of the tough games they are.

Be soft and capitulate with large loses, that’s a different story.

If Horse is seriously out of the race, this makes me a very happy man. The only experienced coach I want to see coach us is Clarkson or Simmo and there is no chance of that happening. Hence Shaw, Caracella, Newman or Burns, In no particular order.. whats the chances of appointing Shaw and snagging Caracella as an assistant as we would have an abundance of coins available in the soft cap?

Contracted for next year. If he gets a gig elsewhere, no need to pay him out.

If he doesn't we'll have to negotiate a settlement, which will have to be included in our Football Dept cap for next year.
That is the case for contracted players/coaches BUT Bard told us all for months earlier in the year that he ...'would do the right thing by the club'....ie if the club wanted a change he would accept a settlement and move on.

What part of ...doing the right thing by the club...are we missing here?

Not sure how to feel about this.

We miss out on a proven coach but we were never gonna inherit the benefits that Longmire had at Sydney if he did decide to come home.

If start losing a few games.....how would everyone then feel about Shaw as the next coach?

All this does is guarantee his kids will become precociously good juniour footballers who clearly require the mystical powers of the SYDNEY ACADEMY to provide them a pathway to footy, as a having a Coleman Medallist best and fairest winning premiership player premiership coach Dad who was kicking bags in the Ovens and Murray League at 16 is obviously a massive obstacle to getting ahead in the footy world.

I have no doubt we expected this.

Given we swiped the obvious successor to Horse, Sydney had no choice but to go the extra mile to keep him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That doesn't have to be a formal 'offer'. This is just semantics.

If your source's claim is true that we were very confident it would suggest that Longmire had agreed in principal or had given indication that he would give it strong consideration. If that was the case why did he sign so quick with Swans?

Horse was already in negotiations with the Swans when we enquired and with Pickers grubby hands all over it, we were leveraged. I dont think all the noise surrounding Longmire is a bad thing for us as it is a distraction for Archer's around Australia door knocking tour.

Keep your eyes on the road Rhonda as they say. :moustache:

That is the case for contracted players/coaches BUT Bard told us all for months earlier in the year that he ...'would do the right thing by the club'....ie if the club wanted a change he would accept a settlement and move on.

What part of ...doing the right thing by the club...are we missing here?

The right thing by the club would be agreeing to forgo his last year's payment if he finds another job. We contracted him until the end of 2020 so he is entitled to be paid that given he was clearly pushed.

Sydney coach John Longmire to reject lucrative North Melbourne offer and stick with Swans

He’s been the subject of a major push to return back to the club where he played in a premiership but John Longmire will stay at the Swans. He opens up on what brought him to the decision.
Jay Clark and Ben Horne, Herald Sun
Subscriber only
|
July 12, 2019 5:55pm

Sydney coach John Longmire has rejected a lucrative offer to take over North Melbourne.
The Swans will in the next 24 hours announce a new deal for Longmire. He is already contracted until the end of 2020 but his extension will ensure he stays with Sydney until the end of 2023.

North Melbourne’s ‘Godfather’ offer to their former favourite son whipped the media into a frenzy, but Longmire has indicated he never seriously considered jumping ship after the Swans made it profoundly clear that he was still their man for the future.

The road to Longmire announcing a three-year extension might have presented like a drawn out saga, but in reality, the 48-year-old’s manager met with Sydney chief Tom Harley for the first time last Friday and a deal was struck by early this week.
What did take time was Longmire going through what he describes as a “deep” personal process with those closest, to ensure he was being true to himself about still having the energy and drive to do justice to agreeing to remain at the helm of the Swans into a second decade.

More than 10 years at one club is rare, and Longmire also wanted assurances from the Swans that they had no appetite for a new voice before deciding it was the right thing.

Longmire’s romantic link to the Kangaroos might have been a focus for others, but for the man himself, it never came into his thinking.

“I’m not going to comment on other clubs. The reality is that if the Swans thought it was a relevant time for me (and) for them to look for someone else to take on the new guard of players coming through, that would have been the only situation in which I wouldn’t have been here next year,” Longmire told News Corp.

3f1b5159dd0008ed26d82babe23bbeae

“And we needed to sit down and work through what that looked like. The club and I were really open with that and they were very keen for me to not only keep going next year but keep going beyond that and take this new group forward. I was thrilled and I am really excited by that.

“They made it clear right from the start that they were keen for me to keep coaching, but we had to work through that and what does it really look like? It’s not just a matter of a tick of the box and everyone moves on.”

Longmire has three high school aged children who were all born and have lived their entire lives in Sydney, and are now part of the club’s thriving academy.

The Swans will have a women’s team from 2021, and Longmire’s daughter has opportunity in front of her just like his two sons.

John Longmire is committed to Sydney. Picture: Getty Images
John Longmire is committed to Sydney. Picture: Getty Images

A couple of months ago the Swans opened a new training facility and by the end of next year the centre of excellence that Longmire has poured his energy into will be opened.

To turn his back on all those opportunities, not to mention the success he hopes awaits his talented young group of players would have been a monumental call.

Coaching is a life decision, but Longmire has decided once again, that Sydney is his life.

“(The self-reflection) is a process I’ve been through before but it was probably on a bit of a deeper level this time,” he said.

“It’d be irresponsible of me not to do that and it would be the wrong thing to do by the club, the wrong thing to do by my family, the wrong thing to do by the players. It was a responsibility and a process I had to have and had to go through to make sure it was right.

“We needed to make sure it was the right thing to do for the next stage of our life and it certainly is.”

John Longmire is set to extend his stay at the Swans. Pic: Getty Images
John Longmire is set to extend his stay at the Swans. Pic: Getty Images
North Melbourne interim coach Rhyce Shaw is in the box seat. Pic: David Caird
North Melbourne interim coach Rhyce Shaw is in the box seat. Pic: David Caird

Longmire’s decision means North Melbourne interim coach Rhyce Shaw is in the box seat to keep the gig after an excellent start to his senior coaching tenure.

The Roos have won four of their past five games under Shaw to rejuvenate their finals hopes.

The Roos’ players have voiced their strong support for Shaw remaining in the job permanently.

After a slow start, North is only one win outside the eight.

The Roos take on Essendon on Saturday.

If your source's claim is true that we were very confident it would suggest that Longmire had agreed in principal or had given indication that he would give it strong consideration. If that was the case why did he sign so quick with Swans?

Horse was already in negotiations with the Swans when we enquired and with Pickers grubby hands all over it, we were leveraged. I dont think all the noise surrounding Longmire is a bad thing for us as it is a distraction for Archer's around Australia door knocking tour.

Keep your eyes on the road Rhonda as they say. :moustache:
No doubt we were leveraged like I said. Pickers loves negotiation by media. Discussions have been going on for at least a month so hardly a snap decision by Longmire. Interesting that the media were suggesting Longmire was staying at Sydney for at least a week now. Agree re Archers trek around Australia although I know bugger all about what he is looking for.

The right thing by the club would be agreeing to forgo his last year's payment if he finds another job. We contracted him until the end of 2020 so he is entitled to be paid that given he was clearly pushed.
No - if he finds another job then he doesn't get paid 'twice' - that's the arrangement in AFL contracts.

Doing 'the right thing by the club' would be agreeing to forego the final year of his contract full stop irrespective of whether he finds alternative employment in the AFL.

If he seeks payment in full for 2020 because he can't find another gig then he hasn't done anything 'right be the club'.

Depends how we play in the supposed loses.

All hard games. If we turn up, crack in and give a good account of ourselves - I think most supporters will be understanding of the tough games they are.

Be soft and capitulate with large loses, that’s a different story.

This is bang on! I feel a strange pang of relief with the horse re-signing, but there is still a lot of footy to be played. Find myself really hoping Shaw gets it. Yes yes, early days but hard not to be taken with how he presents himself and speaks of the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back