Toast New sponsor for AFLW & AFL teams - UniSA

DD#23

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
That would be a complete suprise to most VC's and the Boards.
I realise all universities have fallen from grace in a big way, but the point remains that in my experience Uni SA was never called super TAFE for financial reasons...

FantasticShirt

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 6, 2010
Melbourne + Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Should public bodies really be sponsoring anyone?

UniSA is looking to gain as much exposure and money as possible from medical research - with a big emphasis on elite level sports. To do the research to make them truly big $$ they need access to sporting clubs. Sponsoring the biggest sporting club in the state is a pretty logical step if that’s what you want to pursue.

“We will be building on our already close links with the Adelaide Crows, which include a range of activities such as collaborations around leading edge research in sports science, elite performance measurement and training, athlete health and fitness and exercise science, as well as placement opportunities provided by the Crows for our students,” Professor Lloyd said.

“The new partnership, which supports both the men’s and women’s teams, lays the ground to expand and deepen our engagement with the Club by fostering player education and development, and bringing our expertise in management, marketing and big data to the business of sport.”

FantasticShirt

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 6, 2010
Melbourne + Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I realise all universities have fallen from grace in a big way, but the point remains that in my experience Uni SA was never called super TAFE for financial reasons...

Wasn’t it called Super TAFE because it was formed out of a merger of the institute of technology? Always seemed ridiculous to me because in SA it’s been a clear leader for years in fields that TAFE never had anything to do with - health being a key one. I had friends doing pharmacy, physio etc which was only ever offered at UNISA. Hardly “tafe” courses.

I’ve done study at UniSA. I also did my undergrad at uni of Melbourne. Both were great.

Anyway this is likely to turn in to some lame pissing contest about the prestige of SA based teritary institutions. Key thing here is that this is a huge SA instutionn which is pumping money in to the club in what's being seen by both parties as a win-win.

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
Wasn’t it called Super TAFE because it was formed out of a merger of the institute of technology? Always seemed ridiculous to me because in SA it’s been a clear leader for years in fields that TAFE never had anything to do with - health being a key one. I had friends doing pharmacy, physio etc which was only ever offered at UNISA. Hardly “tafe” courses.

I’ve done study at UniSA. I also did my undergrad at uni of Melbourne. Both were great.

Anyway this is likely to turn in to some lame pissing contest about the prestige of SA based teritary institutions. Key thing here is that this is a huge SA instutionn which is pumping money in to the club in what's being seen by both parties as a win-win.
I studied at UniSA in the late 90s/early 2000s. Back when the Mawson Lakes campus was called The Levels. IIRC it was somewhat a merger of TAFEs. But that was before I got there.

I am more than happy with the standard of Education I got there.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

mistylake

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Canadiens, Maroons.
UniSA is looking to gain as much exposure and money as possible from medical research - with a big emphasis on elite level sports. To do the research to make them truly big $$ they need access to sporting clubs. Sponsoring the biggest sporting club in the state is a pretty logical step if that’s what you want to pursue.

So a lot more to it than marketing. It looks like a good partnership from here.

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
So a lot more to it than marketing. It looks like a good partnership from here.
I personally think the non financial partnership is a bit of fluff to justify them giving us money for having their logo on our coaches polo shirts.

Port had a real sports science connection with Burgo being a PhD. But he is gone now.

DD#23

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide

its the nature of the courses there - they have a far more vocational slant than those offered at Adelaide Uni. Things like nursing, teaching, "IT", etc, never used to be university programs, they've been amalgamated. If you study at Oxford for example you don't spend a third of your time there on placement...

the traditional purpose of universities is to provide a thorough education, not to hand out qualifications.

when you hear about young people coming out of university and not knowing their arse from their elbow if its not related to their field of study, well... this is why. This applies to both UniSA and Adelaide Uni, but depending on what course you've completed you're probably not leaving with a "university education" - you're leaving with a glorified trade certificate.

mistylake

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Canadiens, Maroons.
I personally think the non financial partnership is a bit of fluff to justify them giving us money for having their logo on our coaches polo shirts.

Port had a real sports science connection with Burgo being a PhD. But he is gone now.

I’m sure the students will get much joy out of prodding and probing the players though.

BF847473-A9E3-4E9C-8686-CB7B1830D30D.jpeg

Feb 3, 2004
in a happy place
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
panthers, ukraine & broncos
its the nature of the courses there - they have a far more vocational slant than those offered at Adelaide Uni. Things like nursing, teaching, "IT", etc, never used to be university programs, they've been amalgamated. If you study at Oxford for example you don't spend a third of your time there on placement...

the traditional purpose of universities is to provide a thorough education, not to hand out qualifications.

when you hear about young people coming out of university and not knowing their arse from their elbow if its not related to their field of study, well... this is why. This applies to both UniSA and Adelaide Uni, but depending on what course you've completed you're probably not leaving with a "university education" - you're leaving with a glorified trade certificate.

Basically all Universities are about graduate employment for the future. They are there to hand out a glorified trade certificate. This has been ongoing for years. I've worked at Universities interstate, overseas and now back here in SA. Money has to come in from students who want a job at the end of their 'spending' and for research, the vast majority of funds now come from industry collaborations where the industry wants a specific result. There is very, very minute amounts of money available to fund research for the sake of research. The way of the world has changed.

Bay62

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Do you drive a Toyota?

If so, did you drive a less hard bargain in the car yard because of your football club?

I’m still on most

No but then I doubt that Toyota are looking for that marginal benefit per sale but rather volume

But I take your point

Bay62

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Basically all Universities are about graduate employment for the future. They are there to hand out a glorified trade certificate. This has been ongoing for years. I've worked at Universities interstate, overseas and now back here in SA. Money has to come in from students who want a job at the end of their 'spending' and for research, the vast majority of funds now come from industry collaborations where the industry wants a specific result. There is very, very minute amounts of money available to fund research for the sake of research. The way of the world has changed.

Agreed. I have no problem with people wanting a qualification that leads to work but the loss of pure research or even non-vocational areas of study is a great loss to society

DD#23

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
yeah I realise the realities of the situation, I'm just saying its a real shame IMO.

or to get back to why I brought it up in the first place - the fact UniSA is clearly further down that road than Adelaide Uni has a lot to do with why the SuperTAFE moniker is alive and well on campus.

Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide

No reason why they would need to pay for that access

They could probably charge the clubs for their research

Bay62

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
I studied at UniSA in the late 90s/early 2000s. Back when the Mawson Lakes campus was called The Levels. IIRC it was somewhat a merger of TAFEs. But that was before I got there.

I am more than happy with the standard of Education I got there.

UniSA started from the old Institute of Technology and Colleges of Advanced Education, not TAFEs

Under the Dawkins reforms, a two level system of higher ed (TAFE and Uni's) not the pre-existing three levels

NCHammertime

Team Captain
Jun 23, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Chancellor of UniSA was appointed to the board at the Crows early in 2017. Thinking this has something to do with it...

Sep 19, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Lakers, Chiefs
Marketing at Uni SA is very good, the director has sold 50,000 copies of his marketing book. The marketing institute at Uni SA do advise the uni on marketing, so they probably were involved in recommending this. Aiming for high reach = $, no one better than the biggest sports team in SA.

BrissyCrow

Premium Platinum
Mar 20, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg & Most Other Tiger Teams
Should public bodies really be sponsoring anyone?

I have often wondered about superannuation providers using funds that the public has trusted them with. Surely the providers should be pumping all the money that they make back into the investors and not into sponsorship.

Back