News New Sponsor Position: Above Numbers

NotAMagpieBogan

Premiership Player
Mar 17, 2014
Vic
AFL Club
Collingwood
From a design standpoint, mega bummer, but you gotta do what you gotta do though at the moment, I guess.

Didn’t someone say on here that they had heard that this going to be happening recently?

In terms of helping the clubs raise some funds I think it's a good idea, hopefully the execution from a design standpoint is done well (but at this time funds are more important than looks)

I'm wondering whether teams will have enough time to both secure a sponsor for the top of their jumper, and also have new jumpers made up ready for the weekend of June 11-14. Remember for Round 5 2014 (name-on-back trial) had shrunken numbers and adjustments made to allow for acronyms, logos and dates above the numbers (such as Sydney's SMFC or Brisbane's BBFFC)

In terms of helping the clubs raise some funds I think it's a good idea, hopefully the execution from a design standpoint is done well (but at this time funds are more important than looks)

I'm wondering whether teams will have enough time to both secure a sponsor for the top of their jumper, and also have new jumpers made up ready for the weekend of June 11-14. Remember for Round 5 2014 (name-on-back trial) had shrunken numbers and adjustments made to allow for acronyms, logos and dates above the numbers (such as Sydney's SMFC or Brisbane's BBFFC)
Would say that it would just be a heat press over the top of whatever is below the collar currently (at least in the short term)

Not a fan of this personally, we've really only just opened up the option of having a sponsor where the manufacturer logo goes, now we are adding another sponsor to the jumper. Will be interesting to see if the richer clubs take up this opportunity, or if it is more for your North's, Bulldogs' and St Kilda's (despite the fact that they are struggling for sponsors to begin with).

Jun 24, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
ΠΓΣΣ LFC Sturt Steelers Nix
Would say that it would just be a heat press over the top of whatever is below the collar currently (at least in the short term)

Not a fan of this personally, we've really only just opened up the option of having a sponsor where the manufacturer logo goes, now we are adding another sponsor to the jumper. Will be interesting to see if the richer clubs take up this opportunity, or if it is more for your North's, Bulldogs' and St Kilda's (despite the fact that they are struggling for sponsors to begin with).
And whether it will just be for this year, or it just happens to be left there for the next season too... and the season after... and the one after that.

And whether it will just be for this year, or it just happens to be left there for the next season too... and the season after... and the one after that.
Yeah, once you allow it for this season, I would imagine it would be very hard for you to get clubs to give it up going forward. Kind of why I am hoping it is only a handful of clubs that need it.

Oct 27, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Packers, Raptors, Renegades
Just for this year? If it's just for the season then that's fine with me, if they're looking for any way they can make money I guess. I'm a sucker for the little monograms and club initials they put on the back of jumpers so if this means the end of that then very disappointing indeed.

Jul 4, 2012
County Grant
AFL Club
Geelong
If clubs do end up making new sets of jumpers we might end up seeing the little '1870' or 'SMFC' moved to be printed on the actual collar like what happens with Port Magpies.

1590573571440.png

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd

Sammoll

Club Legend
Apr 9, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Melbourne City FC, Southampton FC
Bummer. Clubs like the Swans (SMFC), Lions (BBFC) and Port (1870) will lose a place for them to pay tribute to their history. This will also mean no more 'Canberra' on the Giants.

It was only a matter of time I guess with many state league and local teams already having sponsors there. There is also some precedent for this at an AFL level in the China games.
1590575690089.png

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
Bummer. Clubs like the Swans (SMFC), Lions (BBFC) and Port (1870) will lose a place for them to pay tribute to their history. This will also mean no more 'Canberra' on the Giants.

It was only a matter of time I guess with many state league and local teams already having sponsors there. There is also some precedent for this at an AFL level in the China games.
View attachment 882392
and Port still kept their 1870

Attachments

• 1590576008763.png
    1590576008763.png
    960.9 KB · Views: 151

Rickee

All Australian
May 23, 2016
Horsham, Victoria
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Port Melbourne; Kalkee; Horsham Demons

The Saints are not struggling for sponsors, we signed Deliveroo just this year on a huge deal, and made a sizeable sponsorship related profit in 2019. We have all spots filled across AFL and AFLW.

Neverthless I expect us to sign or upgrade to a top back sponsor, because we can always use more money. But to say we are struggling sponsor wise is totally false.

It's an unfortunate inevitability.

Very little chance it would be "one season only" especially when a number of these clubs are going to have a long period of debt in their future - by the time the clubs have "recovered", more sponsors will be the new normal.

Jul 17, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Melbourne Victory
A sad day for jumper nerds. I said when the Dare logo appeared on the Saints collar that I feared it could end up the new norm. With this one being a totally new space opening up, I reckon it will definitely be here to stay.

I guess one positive is it probably kills off the idea of names on jumpers.

Back