Opinion Sponsorship Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

2 million over 5 years would be extremely disappointing.

I understand what G3TWOTYAD3S3RV is getting at, e.g. Crows/Toyota, Geelong/Ford, etc. Not the norm, but it would be nice.
It’s not my kind of sponsorship. A forever deal like the Crows have with the Toyota Dealerships makes them fat, lazy and unable to think outside the box because they simply don’t have to.
In Geelong’s case it’s a bit different. They are like us, a satellite community fighting for survival, with that survival for them historically linked to Ford. However, if something goes flat with Ford they will have to react in advance and have the smarts and set-up to reinvent quickly and properly. I think they will do so as they are well led and clad in worthy heritage. The Crows however will stand stock still in dumb shock, all in a row with legs apart unable to move because “Er, blokes, the national anthem is playing. We’re not allowed to move, are we? Ask Nige someone!”

This is why I believe we will come out on top, having fought our way back up the financial ladder from the bottom rung as at 2012, and having acquired unique essential marketing and survival skills along the way, as we’ve increased our market value, applying it seriously, and not settling in a rush for any cushy comfort offer from some brand that’s been boringly there since before the turn of the millennium.

It’s not my kind of sponsorship. A forever deal like the Crows have with the Toyota Dealerships makes them fat, lazy and unable to think outside the box because they simply don’t have to.
In Geelong’s case it’s a bit different. They are like us, a satellite community fighting for survival, with that survival for them historically linked to Ford. However, if something goes flat with Ford they will have to react in advance and have the smarts and set-up to reinvent quickly and properly. I think they will do so as they are well led and clad in worthy heritage. The Crows however will stand stock still in dumb shock, all in a row with legs apart unable to move because “Er, blokes, the national anthem is playing. We’re not allowed to move, are we? Ask Nige someone!”

This is why I believe we will come out on top, having fought our way back up the financial ladder from the bottom rung as at 2012, and having acquired unique essential marketing and survival skills along the way, as we’ve increased our market value, applying it seriously, and not settling in a rush for any cushy comfort offer from some brand that’s been boringly there since before the turn of the millennium.
I’d settle for a cushy comfort offer any day of the week. Tingles snagged the best sponsor in the league. What’s wrong with being fat & lazy in this case ? I bet if we had just landed Toyota you’d be stoked. Would have been nice to of had FIAT as opposed to Renault but GC jagged that one. I’ll settle fo Isuzu.

Can we drop the whole “Toyota sponsors Crows” myth.

Toyota sponsors the AFL.
The Toyota dealers group in SA, sponsors the Crows.

I’d settle for a cushy comfort offer any day of the week. Tingles snagged the best sponsor in the league. What’s wrong with being fat & lazy in this case ? I bet if we had just landed Toyota you’d be stoked. Would have been nice to of had FIAT as opposed to Renault but GC jagged that one. I’ll settle fo Isuzu.

1. It’s not Toyota, it’s Adelaide’s Toyota dealer network. All the franchises “chip in” to make it happen.

2. As far as major sponsors go it’s not very lucrative. I’m not sure what the current deal is but a few years ago it was only $1.4mil per season, at a time when Sydney were getting $1m from Volkswagen as a goddamn shorts sponsor.

So yeah, cushy is safe, but it also keeps you from doing better for yourself.

You are right. If we landed Toyota I would indeed be stoked ... provided they pay us minimum three times what their SA dealers pay the Crows. Make that four times, no five.
We think differently. In my opinion your grab-the-money-and-run attitude would have us back in 2012 lickety-split.

You are right. If we landed Toyota I would indeed be stoked ... provided they pay us minimum three times what they pay the Crows. Make that four times, no five.
We think differently. In my opinion your grab-the-money-and-run attitude would have us back in 2012 lickety-split.
Do you know what the actual deal is with Toyota ? I personally have no idea but if I was a betting man I’d say they be getting more than Renault gave us.

1. It’s not Toyota, it’s Adelaide’s Toyota dealer network. All the franchises “chip in” to make it happen.

2. As far as major sponsors go it’s not very lucrative. I’m not sure what the current deal is but a few years ago it was only $1.4mil per season, at a time when Sydney were getting $1m from Volkswagen as a goddamn shorts sponsor.

Ok I had no idea it was just a dealership. In this current climate they’d be happy with that until something better comes along is why my original said I’d like someone who’ll stick around for a while.

Do you know what the actual deal is with Toyota ? I personally have no idea but if I was a betting man I’d say they be getting more than Renault gave us.

I'd happily take that bet considering our club made literally twice as much money from sponsorship in 2015. I'd suggest things are/were still pretty similar.

You would win your bet. Renault started off paying us SFA because we needed them more than they needed us. As 2013 went into 2014 etc the value rose, bit by bit, and we also made more commission on car sales to Club members or buyers introduced by the Club.
Managing to keep Renault on our guernsey for five years was a terrific effort. During all that time Renault Australia was under increasing pressure from their head office in France to drop us and switch their investment to Formula 1, which ultimately happened.
What is taking place is progress. We should be getting a basic $1,000,000 minimum x 2 from our ‘joint major partners’. Once China partners start making their presence felt - which will happen sooner rather than later - our value as a marketing partner will take off.

And most 24172800_2036983369685283_5561805029119192816_o.jpg of the China Southern deal is obviously free cakes for fatty crouch.

What is Port Adelaide's most astetically pleasing sponsor of all time?

1990 Standard Chartered or 2017 Renault on back with panel, oak front?
Gotta be this bad boy
468913-679015-pa-players-7590371-jpg.jpg

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What is Port Adelaide's most astetically pleasing sponsor of all time?

1990 Standard Chartered or 2017 Renault on back with panel, oak front?

The chevrons are a bit awkward because they run through the sponsor logo real estate, so there’s always a clash of colours and shapes.

Conversely the horizontal “wharf” is perfectly positioned, so I’d give it to the 1990 guernsey based on this and the monochrome presentation of the SC logo and text.

What’s with such blurry fotos lately?
Enhance 224, 176
*click*click*click*click*click*
Enhance
*click*click*click*
Stop
Move in
*click*click*click*click*
Stop
Pull out, track right
*click*click*click*
Stop
Centre in, pull back
Stop
Track 45 right
*click*click*click*
Stop
Centre and stop

smithson head.jpg

I posted up this link on EPL clubs and private owners on the Footy Industry board thread. This has all the basic info on the 2015-16 results for all the EPL clubs that season. This note about the state of affairs at Man Utd re their sponsorship deals is interesting. It indeed is in another league.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jun/01/premier-league-finances-club-by-club
Manchester United - Accounts for the year to June 30 2016
Turnover £515m (1st, the highest in the league)
Wages £232m (Highest in the league, 45% of turnover)
Profit before tax £49m (follows £4m loss in 2015)
Commercial, merchandising and sponsorship £268m
State they’re in Quite staggering figures. United’s owners, the Glazer family, infamously loaded the £525m debt of their 2005 takeover on to the club itself to repay, which has cost United more than £700m since. Yet the massive reach and exploitation of the United name in booming sponsorships mean the club’s income, £515m, is fully £123m higher than the next highest-earning club, neighbours City. Commercial income alone was £90m more than City’s; unusually, the filings of United plc (registered in the Cayman Islands) cite the amounts of individual sponsorships: £72.7m from Adidas in the year; £59m from shirt sponsor General Motors. The payment of dividends began in this year, worth £15m to the six Glazer siblings.
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jun/01/premier-league-finances-club-by-club

Last edited:
You would win your bet. Renault started off paying us SFA because we needed them more than they needed us. As 2013 went into 2014 etc the value rose, bit by bit, and we also made more commission on car sales to Club members or buyers introduced by the Club.
Managing to keep Renault on our guernsey for five years was a terrific effort. During all that time Renault Australia was under increasing pressure from their head office in France to drop us and switch their investment to Formula 1, which ultimately happened.
What is taking place is progress. We should be getting a basic $1,000,000 minimum x 2 from our ‘joint major partners’. Once China partners start making their presence felt - which will happen sooner rather than later - our value as a marketing partner will take off.
I don’t think Renault joining f1 had anything to do with them dropping us. It just ran its coarse was all. Car sales didn’t help either. To run a F1 team costs minimum of 100-150 million euros. Not sure sponsoring us would of made a dent.

I don’t think Renault joining f1 had anything to do with them dropping us. It just ran its coarse was all. Car sales didn’t help either. To run a F1 team costs minimum of 100-150 million euros. Not sure sponsoring us would of made a dent.
Okay mate. You’re the one who knows, obviously. I shall withdraw. Bloody stirrer.

Last edited:
Yes it did. Renault consolidated their advertising and marketing budget in the sports market world wide just like Vodafone did almost a decade ago getting out of non motor racing sports when existing contracts fell due. They started with getting out of cricket sponsorship in England in 2008, Port in 2009 and oz cricket in 2012 as contracts came to an end.

Once China partners start making their presence felt - which will happen sooner rather than later - our value as a marketing partner will take off.

Until this happens though I'm concerned about counting on it. Not saying it wont, but don't really know timeframes on when the benefits financially back at Alberton will be tangible.

Last edited:
Until this happens though I'm concerned about counting on it. Not saying it wont, but don't really know timeframes on when the benefits financially back at Alberton will be tangible.
Impossible to respond to a post like this ... so I won’t try.

Yes it did. Renault consolidated their advertising and marketing budget in the sports market world wide just like Vodafone did almost a decade ago getting out of non motor racing sports when existing contracts fell due. They started with getting out of cricket sponsorship in England in 2008, Port in 2009 and oz cricket in 2012 as contracts came to an end.
Putting it that way makes more sense. Quite stupid in my opinion as F1 followers are in decline & now free to air coverage is limited. Renault itself isn’t doing too well either. They were better off sponsoring Port ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back