New sports radio station arriving to rival SEN

Remove this Banner Ad

Survey One will be interesting, but also means nothing.

If SEN rates lower, the argument will be that full line-up was not in place until Jan 29, two weeks into the survey period.

If SEN rates higher, it could be the 'I'm trying it out' factor. People giving it a go.

Survey Three is the one to watch. It will be 1/3 of the way through footy season, shows will have been on air for around 3 months or so, and you can then start to see a trend.

Survey One will be interesting, but also means nothing.

If SEN rates lower, the argument will be that full line-up was not in place until Jan 29, two weeks into the survey period.

If SEN rates higher, it could be the 'I'm trying it out' factor. People giving it a go.

Survey Three is the one to watch. It will be 1/3 of the way through footy season, shows will have been on air for around 3 months or so, and you can then start to see a trend.

You make a good point, particularly when it comes to Whateley’s ratings for this survey. It seems Cornes has spent just as much time on air as Gerrard has, so it would be unfair to judge Gerrard on the first survey when he’s been sharing it with Cornes.

Im tipping survey will be down. No matter what SEN does its not going to increase its audience in any substantial way. It will always be a very niche station. BUT you can easily alienate a good part of your audience with the dullards they have swung into action and the fun and life they have sucked out of it. So in short, they are probably on a hiding to nothing.

There is no doubt it will be down, Crooked Hutchy would be glad to have ratings less than halved of their previous.

As for the excuses that it's just a teething period, try telling the advertisers that

I'll try to be as objective as I can here.

The way he burned the previous crew has left many disenchanted and they have already turned off, getting them back is going to be tough when its exclusively his mates that have been parachuted in, who range from terrible to merely OK. The worst crime of the new acolytes is that they're too vanilla.

KB and Turfy are not a drive time program, the formula is simple, I had the displeasure of accidentally tuning in the other day and it was clear to see. KB wanted to ban the bouncer in cricket, does he believe this? Probably not, he's just saying this drum up callers. The segment turned into people insulting KB about being senile and KB deliberately winding Turfy up, Turf got agitated, rinse and repeat. It was fine for 9-12 as a place filler but it cant be the tent pole of a station. KB also openly has no interest in any other sport besides football, and when it comes to that he again is simply "trolling". At least Marko and Ox pretended to care about the A League, NRL etc.

Finey had a core audience and his show had a point of difference, now its just the same overnights program that it was when he went on holiday.

Gerard is wasted in his slot but he cant go later as he has 360 which is obviously more important.

Dunno about breakfast, have never listened.

There will be a bump somewhat during football season but it'll only be about one per cent, not enough to justify the changes.

The word on the radio grapevine is a nationally syndicated sports station, 1278 Melbourne, 954 Sydney and 882 Brisbane.

Same content across all stations, but differing live sports content for each market. Hutchy controls the AM radio right for AFL, sub-licences some NRL rights from Macquarie Radio (who own the above mentioned stations), Hutchy has the A-League radio rights, and Macquarie Radio have some cricket radio rights.

The only issue is what happens in Melbourne. When Hutchy officially takes over Pacific Star Network, which owns SEN1116 and Classic Rock 1377, will he/Crocmedia still be able to supply AFL or NRL content to 1278 or 3AW in Melbourne.

Some old radio heads (on other forums) have flagged there might be issues around Media Control Laws. A company is only allowed to hold two AM/FM licences in a single metro market. By supplying programming to another station, it could be argued he has programming control on three (or more) stations, thus a potential breach. One of the legal eagles and those with a better understanding of corporate structure to look into.
Wait, does Hutchy own both the A and B radio broadcast rights in Melbourne?

When you make a long post that KB only knows about footy, which is so far off the mark, it's not funny - It's been discussed many times in this thread that the SEN announcers who have the best all-round sporting knowledge are KB and Fine.

When you make a long post that KB only knows about footy, which is so far off the mark, it's not funny - It's been discussed many times in this thread that the SEN announcers who have the best all-round sporting knowledge are KB and Fine.

Mate, get a serious grip on reality please

Wait, does Hutchy own both the A and B radio broadcast rights in Melbourne?

Yeah, things were a bit weird/different to the last radio rights.

The lot done 18 months ago had the usual standalone deal for the ABC.

For the commercial rights, Hutchy's Crocmedia wanted to buy the lot, produce every match and syndicate it to MMM, 3AW and SEN.

MMM's parent company SCA was having none of it, and in the end they got a separate FM commercial rights deal.

Hutchy owns the 'umbrella' commercial radio rights for the AM band. It (last year) was a weird mix of SEN doing one or two standalone games a week, 3AW doing most of their games as standalone productions, whilst some games that aired on SEN and 3AW were 'AFL Nation' a Crocmedia production.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will be interesting to see the ratings if it happens. The number of people who have quit the station just over the sacking of those two has really surprised me
Nobody listened before. That's why Hutchy's there in the first place. What makes people think they'll all of a sudden get big ratings, especially on a band that is virtually unlistenable in half of Melbourne?

Nobody listened before. That's why Hutchy's there in the first place. What makes people think they'll all of a sudden get big ratings, especially on a band that is virtually unlistenable in half of Melbourne?

Because the current SEN is one of the worst things in broadcasting history

Crooked Hutchy's only there to gut the joint and make as much quick money as he can.

Didn't say they would get big ratings, said it will be interesting to see what they are

Jon Anderson saying they are targeting Marko and Ox to go head to head against SEN on drive. They are also after Harf apparently
god i hope so.

would love to see them back on the arvo spot. would crush kb & the doc in ratings too

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I will listen to which ever radio station doesn't have mark fine.
He reminds me of why homer simpson got his job at the power plant. "He just turned up the day they opened the plant"
didn't need a nuclear physics degree. That's the only way guys like fine and shebeki would ever get a job because they know very little about sport and are more like a fan when broadcasting. As for schwarz who is suing hutchy so he has a bit of gambling money still coming in I don't want to listen to a sports show that talks about movies or finance or beer hour. I never got why they talked to nobodies about that stuff every day, I wanted to hear sport and in between the 15 minutes of ads every half hour I have to hear about finance from a guy that lost millions on the punt

You are wrong about Finey. He was a great addition to the station. He bridged the gap between the straight up sports broadcaster and the regular, anonymous people who listen to the station.

But anyway, that's not the reason why im posting. Just to say any sports station is a chance when Maher is on the rival station.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back