New sports radio station arriving to rival SEN

vaughany

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 23, 2002
AFL Club
Essendon
Big risk but apparently this is going ahead next month. Will be interesting to see how much AFL content they have and if the broadcast games.

Story:
MELBOURNE will get a new national sports radio station on the AM band next month.

The Sunday Herald Sun understands plans are being put in place to rebrand Talking Lifestyle to a sports-only station.
Talking Lifestyle runs on the 1278 AM frequency in Melbourne and was also broadcast in Sydney and Brisbane.

The new station would be a rival to SEN, which is in the process of being taken over by Craig Hutchison’s Crocmedia.

Macquarie Media, which owns radio powerhouse 3AW, also owns the Talking Lifestyle brand.

Macquarie Media executive chairman Russell Tate emailed all staff late last week to tell them about the change.

“This is to advise that the ‘Talking Lifestyle’ format … on our 1278 AM Melbourne … stations since late February 2017, will be broadcast for the last time on Friday March 30,” the email said.

“It will be replaced by a sports format, networked across the same three stations and featuring presenters drawn from Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane. The new format’s launch will coincide with the Commonwealth Games, which commence on the Gold Coast on April 4.”

Mr Tate thanked “all of the ‘Talking Lifestyle’ team, on-air and off-air” for their professionalism. But it was unclear whether there would be job cuts as part of the change.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Interesting. There are 2 paths to choose. Less hyperbole and straight reporting and analysis OR shrieking giggling buffoonery that attempts to 'break' stories before checking.

I prefer the 1st

Bet on the 2nd.

m_wizard

Draftee
Aug 20, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I think you will find that Croc Media / Hutchy is behind this sports station. 2ue has been taking croc media afl calls for a while & its been rumoured that they will take the croc media nrl calls.
I just hope that the sports stations can be picked up in canberra via radio / digital radio

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Marko and the OX to be the first announcement..

thatwasmymistake

Debutant
Sep 22, 2011
AFL Club
Melbourne
I think you will find that Croc Media / Hutchy is behind this sports station. 2ue has been taking croc media afl calls for a while & its been rumoured that they will take the croc media nrl calls.
I just hope that the sports stations can be picked up in canberra via radio / digital radio

Talking Lifestyle was devised to create zero competition for 2GB as they have the same owner, Fairfax under the Macquarie brand. Yrs they take AFL Nation, but that's dating back to the original contract with Fairfax 2UE. 2SM also take AFL Nation. This new venture will be a direct competitor for SEN, be interesting to see if 3AW shift their sporting content to 1278.

Apr 13, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
Talking Lifestyle was devised to create zero competition for 2GB as they have the same owner, Fairfax under the Macquarie brand. Yrs they take AFL Nation, but that's dating back to the original contract with Fairfax 2UE. 2SM also take AFL Nation. This new venture will be a direct competitor for SEN, be interesting to see if 3AW shift their sporting content to 1278.
As it is, Hutchy's company produces Gerard & Dwayne's show. The whole thing is bizarre. The 1278 signal is weak - it's why 3AW moved in the first place. Someone at Macquarie is clearly looking for a tax write off

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2005
Bentleigh, Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Yes, the recent history of 1278 is bizarre. The talk format has been a total ratings abomination. They struggled to rate over 0.5 in the 2nd half of last year.

Playing oldies as Magic 1278, they had a decent niche for ages, rating anywhere from 3 to 5 during the week a few years ago, and as much as 6 on weekends (even up to 7 for a few surveys). They sometimes beat FM stations on weekends.

For some unknown reason (was it because their over-60s don't spend enough?), a couple of years ago they changed from a pure oldies/easy listening music format to something more like Gold FM or 3MP, then changed again last to the all-talk format.

Last edited:

mr bagcroft

Norm Smith Medallist
May 19, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Hope its not Hutchy thing.
Maybe we could get some of the SEN guys back in a job.
SEN now is like a pooped balloon. Its soul less, gutted, boring.

brucetiki

Guest of Her Majesty
Nov 7, 2002
Wentworth Detention Ctr
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals

Would that mean that both SEN and this new 1278 Sports station take the same commentary feed of a particular match?

Back