New sports radio station arriving to rival SEN

Remove this Banner Ad

Excellent! Seems like the huge amount of listener feedback and calls after they announced the show was ending has given them a 2nd chance.

They felt bad because he has cancer, not that I blame them. If there was a huge amount of support for the show it wouldn't have had such bad ratings in the first place.

As I have mentioned before we don't know what limitations Nine have on the three old Macquarie stations.

If it is true that they have a no compete clause in Sydney with 2CH then that rules out switching to Music only. The one thing they also won't want is to take any listeners away from their main stations like 3AW, 2GB and 4BC which are very successful.

I think they might end up with a mixture of sport, lifestyle and a big crossover with Channel 9 shows. They could still have a sports drive show and talk sport overnight. Perhaps a Nine news hour like Fivaa does in Adelaide

Either way I hope they don't switch to music. It's cheap for the owners but doesn't really employ people in the industry

New chief for 9s radio assets, currently 9s Chief of Sport, Tom Malone.

Hutchy said on his podcast with Barrett yesterday that the reports of the station's demise were mostly bullshit, put out by the opponents of Macquarie and Ch 9. He reckons the station was never gunna be canned.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I tried this station a few times. Not enough to give a measured opinion, but what I heard was really uninteresting IMO.

SEN has gone down hill rapidly, and whilst I still have hope it can/will return or evolve into a decent sports station, I'm not holding my breath. Adding to the issue is that one of it's rivals has failed, it's not as healthy for competion sadly.

Corrrect, unfortunately we have this quirk in Australia’s two biggest cities sporting wise and that’s why such a station can’t work and clearly hasn’t. Would be best to just concentrate on there own sporting stations locally.

Yep most so called sports fans have a very narrow focus & wear it as a badge of honour.

I'm still hearing Macquarie sports radio here in Queensland. Was listening to Ox in the car yesterday. I thought it was supposed to be ending.
What's going on?

....the ‘evolution’ of the sound of 3AW and 1278.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back