New sports radio station arriving to rival SEN

Remove this Banner Ad

It's been great during midweek games. You watch the first half on tv. But then get to listen to the radio commentary on the way to work.

i seomtimes even had the ipad on the passengers seat streaming optus too

I think this state is far too heavily weighted, on the other sports stations, in the direction of the Crows.

Nine’s newly acquired radio assets will no longer fall under the Macquarie Media banner, with the media business announcing the stations will operate under their own call signs (3AW, 2GB, 4BC and 6PR) and news bulletins will be branded as 9News.

The wider radio division will be referred to as Nine Radio.

That would be the last thing I'd be branding them as - either the callsigns OR as Nine. To me, they mean one thing - crap.

I guess Macquarie Sports Radio is going to either be called Wide World of Sports Radio or get closed down as they've ditched most of the live talkback. They're better off selling off the stations - Croc could buy the Brisbane and Sydney stations, they've have to find someone else to buy Melbourne.

That would be the last thing I'd be branding them as - either the callsigns OR as Nine. To me, they mean one thing - crap.

I guess Macquarie Sports Radio is going to either be called Wide World of Sports Radio or get closed down as they've ditched most of the live talkback. They're better off selling off the stations - Croc could buy the Brisbane and Sydney stations, they've have to find someone else to buy Melbourne.

You over rate Croc - its work in progress as it is, the radio side of the business has done nothing since Pacific Star bought SEN 1116. See:

You over rate Croc - its work in progress as it is, the radio side of the business has done nothing since Pacific Star bought SEN 1116.

I wasn't over rating Croc, I only mentioned them because they're the only ones likely to be interested in the Mac Sports stations. Personally, I'd like to see someone new take over Pacific Star, Crocmedia and Macquarie Sports in one fowl swoop that had more brains than Hutchy has hairs on his head.

I don't rate any of the Australian media companies at all to be honest. I'd like to see them all shut down. Waste of spectrum that could be used leased out to telcos for faster internet and the money used for public education and hospitals, but a ) it won't happen and b ) this isn't the thread for such a discussion.

I wasn't over rating Croc, I only mentioned them because they're the only ones likely to be interested in the Mac Sports stations. Personally, I'd like to see someone new take over Pacific Star, Crocmedia and Macquarie Sports in one fowl swoop that had more brains than Hutchy has hairs on his head.

I don't rate any of the Australian media companies at all to be honest. I'd like to see them all shut down. Waste of spectrum that could be used leased out to telcos for faster internet and the money used for public education and hospitals, but a ) it won't happen and b ) this isn't the thread for such a discussion.

Which stations that were Macquarie Sports have any real value/relevant ratings:
  • SYDNEY 954AM
  • MELBOURNE 1278AM
  • BRISBANE 882AM
  • PERTH DAB+
None imho. You'd only buy them to make a buck & that puts sports radio out of the question (sadly).

note: Pacific Star own SEN & Crocmedia is another wholly owned division.

R.I.P Macquarie Sports Radio!

They're bringing back the old callsigns as the brands, using classic hits but will honour existing sports contracts.

Soooooo.....they'll sound like a regional station with music and sport, but no talkback.

They're bringing back the old callsigns as the brands, using classic hits but will honour existing sports contracts.

Soooooo.....they'll sound like a regional station with music and sport, but no talkback.

The article states it's bad news for Cruise1323 in Adelaide, which I don't get as the station won't be available in Adelaide.

So hopefully Sydney and Brisbane will still get 3aw's footy coverage on the weekend

So hopefully Sydney and Brisbane will still get 3aw's footy coverage on the weekend

I doubt it. Unless it's a Swans or GWS match, they'll stick with music.

Otherwise they can just stick it on NTS, their digital station, but I can't see it happening. It's probably cheaper to keep playing highlights off a computer 24/7.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am pissed off.

And **** that site Media Spy. I'd read that forum to get more gossip on what to expect that you don't from elsewhere. The campaigners on there are happy the station's gone and shat on it at every opportunity to do so. **** 'em and their ******* old music they anticipate enjoying.

I'll miss the EPL coverage, and also UK Talk Sport rather than the soulless SEN Overnight Show. (I'm hoping I can just stream both directly from now on via TuneIn.)

Get a VPN and set it to the UK if it's still blocking you. I've done it before and it does work with TuneIn on my phone. ;)

Another farewell show for Oz & Marco?

I'll miss the EPL coverage, and also UK Talk Sport rather than the soulless SEN Overnight Show. (I'm hoping I can just stream both directly from now on via TuneIn.)
I don't listen to SEN anymore these days but the overnight program used to be great with guests and just general talking sport. At least for the first 2 to 3 hours things may have gotten a little quiet afterwards.
Why is it soulless these days?

Sent from my MI PAD 4 using Tapatalk

Why is it soulless these days?

Just like much of the rest of SEN, it has become a bit bland and lacking personality. Seems to have a constant rotation of hosts too.

I'm comparing it, maybe unfairly, with the period when Darren Parkin, Teo and others were hosting it. I refer to this as the "Pancake Parlour Period".

Just like much of the rest of SEN, it has become a bit bland and lacking personality. Seems to have a constant rotation of hosts too.

I'm comparing it, maybe unfairly, with the period when Darren Parkin, Teo and others were hosting it. I refer to this as the "Pancake Parlour Period".
Yeah i remember those days. I also enjoyed the days of Schbecki although there were a few that did not like him he did bring in good guests and segments.

Sent from my MI PAD 4 using Tapatalk

A shame to see it go, apparently at least to begin with there won't be any on air hosts. Basically someone's Spotify playlist.

A shame to see it go, apparently at least to begin with there won't be any on air hosts. Basically someone's Spotify playlist.
Remember....this is Nine. There's money to be made and they won't make it with having people behind a mike with few people listening.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back