New Stadium required | Page 11 | BigFooty

New Stadium required

Discussion in 'AFL Stadiums' started by Air_Chester, Aug 17, 2011.

1. SaintsSeptember

SaintsSeptember Hall of Famer

St Kilda
    Other Teams:
    It made great sense for the big clubs to play at the big new venues.
    Carlton was one of them, so it made no sense for THEM to use Princes park.
    If North had owned it things might have been different.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. Rob

Rob Brownlow Medallist

Fremantle
    Other Teams:
    Peel Thunder
    I doubt it, because the smaller clubs never had the resources to be able to maintain their own ground. Never mind that they drew some horrendous crowds there as well. If they were playing out of a crappy ground (even if it was their own) crowds would have continued to decline as people's expectations rose.

That was why the Dogs moved from the Whitten Oval - they saw the writing on the wall. As much as people romanticise these old grounds, not many of them would be prepared to stand on the terraces every 2nd week in the cold, much less subject the rest of their family to it. If they get 20k to a game at Docklands, you can be pretty sure the same game would get 10k or less at a suburban ground.

rfctiger74 and Bomberboyokay like this.
  3. SaintsSeptember

SaintsSeptember Hall of Famer

St Kilda
    Other Teams:
    I cant argue with that, but i still think Princes park was a good size to be useful for some of the clubs. The thing is, Carlton wasn't one of them, and the government was never good at supporting the AFL with infrastructure. ( access /roads etc ) Shit they still close the citylink tunnel for maintenance when there are games on at Docklands.