thegoldenbear

Team Captain
Feb 8, 2001
In the cyber woods
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
OK so I heard this a few months ago from my brother in law who works with builders, construction groups, etc. At the time he gave me 3 juicy pieces of gossip.
#1 Mick Malthouse had in principle agreement with Carlton that would be made official after the Blues season ended.
#2 Malthouse with this agreement has advised Travis Cloke & his management that he will be at Carlton and not to sign with Collingwood until he could make him an offer (a week later Collingwood broke off talks until the end of the season)
So far 1 out 2...but if Cloke goes to Carlton then I'm fairly confident on my mail here..
#3 The AFL will be building a new stadium in North Melbourne. BS? Have you noticed how close they are building those new apartments right on the concourse at Etihad. The land in question is owned already by a development company, but the AFL has approached them with an offer of the Dockland stadium land in return for their land. In order for the developers to start getting a return on their investment, the area around (and almost on top of) the stadium was given as a good will gesture. The AFL are fearful of future litigation due to the hardness of the ground which they concede was not laid correctly on top of a car park.

I guess we'll just wait and see if the pieces fall into place.

Makes sense. Could be right...still doubtful. Why would they do aother crap deal to screw clubs when docklands is so close to takeover.

Bit of bs as you so put it.

they should have a stadium that only fills 50k, that way you can put the smaller clubs in that stadium and it make's the crowds look bigger

they should have a stadium that only fills 50k, that way you can put the smaller clubs in that stadium and it make's the crowds look bigger
Etihad only fits 50k as it is.

They need a smalelr stadium that holds about 30,000. Similar to what Princess Park or Moorabin held. Princess Park is no longer a viable option due to the redevelopment. You either refurbish Moorabin or Junction Oval or you have a look at some of the VFA grounds but the only real one that has any potential is Casey.

Also would lvoe to know where the land is in North Melbourne that would allow you to build a ground of that size. The only place big enough is the industrial site opposite Arden Street and i can't see a developer selling up that land to get hold of Docklands.

Malthouse to Carlton is a go, rumours are that Cloke has resigned with the Pies and Jackovich is going to the Blues with Mick. As far as the new stadium in Melbourne goes, I think it's a little unnecessary at the moment, bit of a waste of money. Wait for the competition to further expand (maybe a Hobart team or something)

No chance a new stadium being built. Needs to be funded, and banks are tightening up loans to developers - and the rousing success Etihad has been will hardly be encouraging to them.

As for Govt, if they are going tight arse on teachers and sacking 10k+ public servants, no chance of a new stadium being built

Doesnt make sense to me, the AFL will own ALL rights to Etihad in 10 years or so yeah? maybe 15 then it will make them more money than they know what to do with......Giving clubs better deals but playing 2 games aweek there packing out 30-40K attendances is big bucks, plus food ect, concerts.. Etihad is shite atm but has the potential to drive the AFL alon gway

(Log in to remove this ad.)

another option is to actually build it over the train lines around north melbourne in the same way fed square was built over the lines. i got inside vic urban a little bit for uni and one thing they really want to do is build over the lines to actually connect docklands to the city properly. if the gov it really intent on doing that they might pitch in with the hope it would encourage more similar developments. though i doubt the current gov would be brave/smart enough to do something line that so we would be waiting a while for that one.

Love the proposed design of that stadium. Seems to have a bit of character about it. Would be perfect for the smaller clubs. Could be something like:

MCG:
Richmond
Collingwood
Hawthorn

Etihad:
St Kilda
Essendon
Carlton

E-Gate:
Western Bulldogs
North Melbourne

So this third stadium would be in tandem with Etihad? Surely it'd be under complete AFL control, but isn't that pointless? By the time this thing is signed, built, and ready for footy, it'll be 2017 or so. Why not wait less than a decade and get full control of Etihad? And why build a 'boutique' stadium when footy is expanding, not contracting?

Love the proposed design of that stadium. Seems to have a bit of character about it. Would be perfect for the smaller clubs. Could be something like:

MCG:
Richmond
Collingwood
Hawthorn

Etihad:
St Kilda
Essendon
Carlton

E-Gate:
Western Bulldogs
North Melbourne

? Melbourne
? Geelong - Simmons Stadium

MCG:
Richmond
Collingwood
Hawthorn

Etihad:
St Kilda
Essendon
Carlton

E-Gate:
Western Bulldogs
North Melbourne

This is not viable because you already have Carlton wanting to move to the G, and Essendon/Saints/Dogs/Kangas/Cats all wanting more games at the G. Add this with the Dees/Tigers annually fighting to have no home games at Etihad, and Hawks having a deal with the AFL that 100% of their melbourne home games are at the G.

Why is this relevant? Because it means Etihad will struggle to have enough games to be viable if these concessions are granted, but it will be a disaster if even more games were to leave.

We have Etihad, and just have to learn to live with the crappy deals until the AFL take control.

Is this
No chance a new stadium being built. Needs to be funded, and banks are tightening up loans to developers - and the rousing success Etihad has been will hardly be encouraging to them.

As for Govt, if they are going tight arse on teachers and sacking 10k+ public servants, no chance of a new stadium being built
Is this the same govt that was responsible for Desal Plant, MYKI, Smart Meters and Carbon Tax? Your reasoning is based on sound logic, unfortunately politics doesnt necessarily work that way.

Is this
Is this the same govt that was responsible for Desal Plant, MYKI, Smart Meters and Carbon Tax? Your reasoning is based on sound logic, unfortunately politics doesnt necessarily work that way.

Desal - built to avoid water restrictions during a drought
Myki - overpriced, but needed
smart meters - will make money, esp in summer
carbon tax - again, will make money

e-gate - will cost half a billion, and is spitting distance from a pre-existing stadium

what need or benefit (even if just perceived) is being served?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back