New stadium to be built in Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Would rely on melbournes Olympic bid

Stadium would be built to accommodate some team events (with rumours circling of t20 cricket being included)

The main thing is cost
If anyone has been to York park, that is the set up for a small stadium that we need
No fancy things behind the stand, old suburban tuck-shops etc
You're there for the sport, not the amenities

OK so I heard this a few months ago from my brother in law who works with builders, construction groups, etc. At the time he gave me 3 juicy pieces of gossip.
#1 Mick Malthouse had in principle agreement with Carlton that would be made official after the Blues season ended.
#2 Malthouse with this agreement has advised Travis Cloke & his management that he will be at Carlton and not to sign with Collingwood until he could make him an offer (a week later Collingwood broke off talks until the end of the season)
So far 1 out 2...but if Cloke goes to Carlton then I'm fairly confident on my mail here..
#3 The AFL will be building a new stadium in North Melbourne. BS? Have you noticed how close they are building those new apartments right on the concourse at Etihad. The land in question is owned already by a development company, but the AFL has approached them with an offer of the Dockland stadium land in return for their land. In order for the developers to start getting a return on their investment, the area around (and almost on top of) the stadium was given as a good will gesture. The AFL are fearful of future litigation due to the hardness of the ground which they concede was not laid correctly on top of a car park.

I guess we'll just wait and see if the pieces fall into place.
Nice one ..claim you heard rumors months ago ....toss in one that has occurred to try and give yourself some credence...then go with a huge BS rumour ....so far you are zero ..and not looking too flash.

OK so I heard this a few months ago from my brother in law who works with builders, construction groups, etc. At the time he gave me 3 juicy pieces of gossip.
#1 Mick Malthouse had in principle agreement with Carlton that would be made official after the Blues season ended.
#2 Malthouse with this agreement has advised Travis Cloke & his management that he will be at Carlton and not to sign with Collingwood until he could make him an offer (a week later Collingwood broke off talks until the end of the season)
So far 1 out 2...but if Cloke goes to Carlton then I'm fairly confident on my mail here..
#3 The AFL will be building a new stadium in North Melbourne. BS? Have you noticed how close they are building those new apartments right on the concourse at Etihad. The land in question is owned already by a development company, but the AFL has approached them with an offer of the Dockland stadium land in return for their land. In order for the developers to start getting a return on their investment, the area around (and almost on top of) the stadium was given as a good will gesture. The AFL are fearful of future litigation due to the hardness of the ground which they concede was not laid correctly on top of a car park.

the story about a 3rd stadium to be built at e gate has been around for ABOUT 5 YEARS nothing really new here

The AFL are not going to build a stadium a drop punt away from Etihad Stadium because clubs don't like playing at Etihad Stadium...
You make it sound like clubs dont want to play there because its a bad area.

Clubs dont like playing there because the surface is too hard and the bad deals that these clubs receive.

From what i've read, the AFL will do away with Etihad and sell the land when they take control. This will allow them to build a new stadium and have full control over it.
It also sounds like they might be scared of being liable for any injuries due to the hard surface of Etihad.
To me, it makes perfect sense.
They've learnt from Docklands mistakes

If they are scared of litgation because of the surface wouldn't it be cheaper to tear it up and relay it? Time would be an issue with cricket now a tennant but the cost would be far better I think

If they are scared of litgation because of the surface wouldn't it be cheaper to tear it up and relay it? Time would be an issue with cricket now a tennant but the cost would be far better I think

The heart of the issue is the concept and engineering of laying turf and soil over concrete carpark ceilings........ they could rip it all up and replace it (big $$$$ and time) but within a short time it would be compacted and hard to run on again, so a heap of money spent for nothing. I believe in the past experiments have been carried out where they have tried laying different composites of materials and soil in sections of the surface and no real improvement has been achieved.

re no. 3. Garbage. The buildings being built close to Etihad were always going to be built there. It's got nothing to do with the AFL, they never had control of that land.

The heart of the issue is the concept and engineering of laying turf and soil over concrete carpark ceilings........ they could rip it all up and replace it (big $$$$ and time) but within a short time it would be compacted and hard to run on again, so a heap of money spent for nothing. I believe in the past experiments have been carried out where they have tried laying different composites of materials and soil in sections of the surface and no real improvement has been achieved.
That makes sense, but if they were to build over the railyeards wouldn't the same issue arise?

That makes sense, but if they were to build over the railyeards wouldn't the same issue arise?
Yes I reckon you would be right. But if starting from scratch again I'm sure they would make major engineering changes, surely somewhere in the last few years, someone has managed to do something similar successfully.

Nice one ..claim you heard rumors months ago ....toss in one that has occurred to try and give yourself some credence...then go with a huge BS rumour ....so far you are zero ..and not looking too flash.

Blues_Man, when Cloke stands in front of the cameras holding an ol' dark navy Blue jumper - I'll be the first to give you a two finger salute....meaning 2 from 2 of course.

solar-powered-dragon-stadium-in-kaohsiung-taiwan-1.jpg

Could it turn into this by 2030?

But seriously this was probably most likely needed if we won the world cup bid and the AFL was not able to play matches 6 weeks in WC stadiums before the world cup. But besides that 3 major oval stadiums in Melbourne is not needed at all, we just got a summer tenant for the 2nd one, I cant see this being used over the summer, therefore no real need at all.

Would rely on melbournes Olympic bid

If Melbourne are to bid for the Olympics, say 2024/28/32. The smart idea for a bid proposal would be to build it up as the Olympics with almost no facilities needed to be built. Only a rowing centre and a white-water arena would need to be built

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Melbourne are to bid for the Olympics, say 2024/28/32. The smart idea for a bid proposal would be to build it up as the Olympics with almost no facilities needed to be built. Only a rowing centre and a white-water arena would need to be built

Olympics look like including cricket, so it is plausible to create a 35k seater

Olympics look like including cricket, so it is plausible to create a 35k seater
If they would have Cricket at the olympics then that would be awkward for a southern hemisphere city to have them, pitches are not at their best in the winter/spring when they olympics would be held. They would probably have it all around the country like soccer, in Australia anyway because of the vast amount of grounds, probably wouldn't work in other countries, could you play a whole cricket tournament at one stadium? Not sure, cricket has a lot to overcome to be included in the olympics

If they would have Cricket at the olympics then that would be awkward for a southern hemisphere city to have them, pitches are not at their best in the winter/spring when they olympics would be held. They would probably have it all around the country like soccer, in Australia anyway because of the vast amount of grounds, probably wouldn't work in other countries, could you play a whole cricket tournament at one stadium? Not sure, cricket has a lot to overcome to be included in the olympics

The Olympics would be most likely late October, this isn't soccer, it doesn't have to be held at the same time every yr

And, it would be most likely t20 cricket, where 3 games can be played in one day (as occurred in the first couple of seasons of English tournament)
Would also probably be a knockout tournament, as it was in the 1998 commonwealth games
You could have the tournament over in 8 days (even less)

The Olympics would be most likely late October, this isn't soccer, it doesn't have to be held at the same time every yr

And, it would be most likely t20 cricket, where 3 games can be played in one day (as occurred in the first couple of seasons of English tournament)
Would also probably be a knockout tournament, as it was in the 1998 commonwealth games
You could have the tournament over in 8 days (even less)
Actually there is a requirement that the Olympics must be held betwen certain dates. I believe that it is August or September, late October is definitely out.

Actually there is a requirement that the Olympics must be held betwen certain dates. I believe that it is August or September, late October is definitely out.
Yeah Doha had to put forward special request for their bid, they wanted an October olympics because of heat

Remove this Banner Ad

Back