Streaming New Star Trek series announced; Patrick Stewart to reprise his role as Jean-Luc Picard

Streaming Television

Remove this Banner Ad

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, New York Yankees
Literally no one else enjoys them. And if people do they know where to find them.

Can genuinely say I’ve never actually watched one of those random GG or Red Letter Media videos. Zero interest, I just scroll past them.

STFU Donnie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 31, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Everton, Chiefs Kingdom
Literally no one else enjoys them. And if people do they know where to find them.

You should look up the meaning of the word literally. It literally does not mean what you think it means. How do I know this? Because I enjoy the RLM re:views. Much better than the show itself.

STFU Donnie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 31, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Everton, Chiefs Kingdom
A team of engineers was sighted recently at Gene Roddenberry's grave. Apparently his spinning has become a harvestable source of energy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Lol

Think it’s a great show and carry’s on the characters and plots from past shows.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Both Discovery and Picard have moved away from Roddenberry's view of an idyllic future for mankind, but seriously, there was not much further they could take that idea, conflict from within is as, if not more, interesting than conflict from without.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Both Discovery and Picard have moved away from Roddenberry's view of an idyllic future for mankind, but seriously, there was not much further they could take that idea, conflict from within is as, if not more, interesting than conflict from without.

There was plenty of conflict in the OS, Next Gen and all the movies.

The ideals are still there.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
There was plenty of conflict in the OS, Next Gen and all the movies.

The ideals are still there.

Yes, but the conflict was from without. Roddenberry had a mandate that the shows had to demonstrate an idyllic view of mankind and the conflict could not actually be between the main characters. In Picard, in particular, Starfleet is being shown as fractured as our current society by abandoning the Romulans out of fear. Picard is at odds with the Federation and Starfleet. The idea that humankind had overcome its fears and pettiness has been dropped.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Yes, but the conflict was from without. Roddenberry had a mandate that the shows had to demonstrate an idyllic view of mankind and the conflict could not actually be between the main characters. In Picard, in particular, Starfleet is being shown as fractured as our current society by abandoning the Romulans out of fear. Picard is at odds with the Federation and Starfleet. The idea that humankind had overcome its fears and pettiness has been dropped.

It isn’t over yet. Whose to say we can’t overcome?

And it wasn’t always external, Undiscovered Country? Many Next Gen episodes with internal conflict.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
I'm enjoying the series but I do find it so slow, and there's only one episode left for this season so we're not going to learn much more about Soji I suspect.
It’s 10 episodes?

It isn’t over yet. Whose to say we can’t overcome?

And it wasn’t always external, Undiscovered Country? Many Next Gen episodes with internal conflict.

Roddenberry hated the Undiscovered Country. And he was booted off TNG pretty early in the piece. That said, TNG was still largely his vision. DS9 definitely wasn’t.

His idea was that humans had overcome their base instincts. Reckon he’d be appalled by the idea that Starfleet abandoned a whole race to die. Not that I care, just why some Star Trek purists might be upset.

Mar 7, 2009
On the Buses
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars
It’s 10 episodes?
You're right, still, it's very slow-paced ATM

Caught up now, I really liked the reunion episode, but it was still a filler episode to the main story. Loved the chemistry between Frakes, Sirtis, & Stewart, I bet they enjoyed filming that.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
AFC Wimbledon
*Episode 7 spoilers*

Enjoyed episode 7, the show seems to be finding its feet and moving along. I liked Elnor choosing to remain behind and hopefully teaming him and Seven on the cube can make an interesting side plot.

I wouldn't have minded if Riker had suited up and joined the crew although I fully expect his 'very good reason' will lead him to flying in to save the day at some point.

It was a real shame that the original actor (Brian Brophy) wasn't brought back to be Maddox (ditto Icheb), having the original actor reprise the role of Hugh showed how good that consistency can be especially considering how much of the series is being carried by nostalgia and fan service.

As has been mentioned before the biggest problem with the show is Picard's annominity (and the Federation sidelining him) considering how many millions of lives he must have saved over the years. Just one of those suspension of disbelief things and at least there was some acknowledgement of his reputation in the last episode.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
My only issue with the show is that Picard has objectively been a bit of an a-hole to both Raffi and Elnor, something that is out of character and never been fully explained away. Otherwise looking forward to seeing where it goes and have actually enjoyed the week to week ride rather than binge watching.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back