Streaming New Star Trek series announced; Patrick Stewart to reprise his role as Jean-Luc Picard

Streaming Television

Remove this Banner Ad

As far as the story goes, it was nothing new and The Orville did something similar last year, although this ended differently. I have enjoyed seeing members of the old TNG crew, and the tears were flowing when JL died, but I thought they'd use that Gollum to bring him back. I guess he has something in common with Spock now, both have come back from the dead, albeit in different ways. Nothing like recycling story ideas. 7of9 is into women now apparently, good for her. That scene with Data was awesome, I really enjoyed that. We might have to find some time to binge-watch all the eps again in the future. Better than that travesty of a series Star Trek Discovery by a long way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was a good first season, loved the climax and the weighty scenes at the end; pure Trek. Not 100 percent happy with the ‘twist’, which I saw coming a mile off, but didn’t take away from the whole.

Quite like the crew they have built, though surely Jurati has to pay for her crimes. And I am not keen on a 7 of 9 spinoff, move forward.

Last edited:
A little different but good. I could do without the swearing on a Star Trek show though, just because they can do it doesn't mean they should.

FINALE SPOILERS

Picard talking down Soji as the finale felt like a bit of a let down but on the other hand it is classic star trek. I suppose we should just be happy that no one used logic to trap the AIs into some sort of feedback loop.

Riker flying in with the cavalry was ridiculously predictable after the earlier episode and it's been done before, maybe it would have played better if there had been even a few scenes in the background of Riker fighting to get the fleet together and on the way.

I enjoyed the series though and a lot of the characters, new and old, worked fine. Geordie La Forge should have got his guest appearance to say goodbye, he was really Data's most important friendship (for both of them) for much of the next generation.

I thought the actor who played Elnor did well with the role but the character could just as easily have been Icheb and considering all that he went through Icheb's death was wasted in the episode reintroducing seven of nine.

Got to the end of the season. Quite like the array of new generation of characters. Felt like there was more in last two episodes but they trying to wrap it up in 10 episodes I guess. will tune in again when they make more.

The Trek fan boy in me really enjoyed it but because I am that Trek fan boy I saw all the flaws and found it hard to not ask a lot of questions about what the writers had done to the universe.

Not as bad as the Abrams Trek movies but still.

Biggest sins

1. Dark Federation
2. Icheb
3. Mindmelding Androids
4. Super space tentacles
5. Borg Sikarian gateways
6. Son of Soong

There are more minor sins. That is just that stuff that triggered me or made me cringe hard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's three generations of Soongs that Brent Spiner has played now, all looking exactly the same, I understand it's a way to keep Spiner involved in Star Trek but I'd honestly prefer to see other actors in the roles.

Did they miss a good opportunity to bring Data back or is it better this way?

With the storyline they developed they could have gone a step further and brought Data back to life and with all the advancements in how androids look they could have also justified him looking different by Data wanting to look older, the same as all his TNG friends and colleagues.

It might have been interesting to see Data join Picard's crew for season two and getting to know his daughter.

Did they miss a good opportunity to bring Data back or is it better this way?

It might have been interesting to see Data join Picard's crew for season two and getting to know his daughter.
Nah, Data belongs in the 1990's of Next Generation. Nothing more to be added about him.
I think it is right to focus on new characters.

I am up to episode 2. My thoughts so far:

Writing is a little bit crappy. Characters do something before some awkward dialogue where another character tells me exactly what just happened in case I didn't notice it happening in front of me. This is annoying and hopefully once the story kicks off properly there is less of this.

Every scene where they have discussed the super-secretive never-to-be-talked-about totally underground anti-robot Romulan assassin squad has been a bit cringe-worthy.

Alison Pell is welcome to sit on my face anytime she wants. Yummo.

80 already, never would’ve thought that. Even though he’s had such a long and distinguished career, he just seems perennially 60 something. Keen for the next instalment, and interesting that the story will extend to at least a third season.

So we're two eps into season two, and I have to say it's been excellent so far. Not the slow start season one had, right into the action.

I was expecting this to be on Paramount+ here in Australia, but it's not, it's on Prime.

Third eps out now too! Quite enjoying it.

80 already, never would’ve thought that. Even though he’s had such a long and distinguished career, he just seems perennially 60 something. Keen for the next instalment, and interesting that the story will extend to at least a third season.

Even in his 20's he looked and sounded exactly the same. This is his TV debut, from Coronation Street. In 1967.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back