Streaming New Star Trek series announced; Patrick Stewart to reprise his role as Jean-Luc Picard

Streaming Television

Remove this Banner Ad

Donners

Cancelled
Ex-Moderator
Sep 1, 2002
AFL Club
Sydney
https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/star-trek-patrick-stewart-picard-cbs-all-access-1202895410/

Huzzah!

The exact plot details are being kept mostly under wraps, though the series is said to tell the story of the next chapter of Picard’s life. That indicates that it will take place after the events of “Star Trek: The Next Generation” rather than being a prequel or reboot.

The untitled series hails from Alex Kurtzman, James Duff, Akiva Goldsman, Michael Chabon, and Kirsten Beyer. Kurtzman, Duff, Goldsman, and Chabon will also serve as executive producers on the series along with Stewart, Trevor Roth, Heather Kadin, and Rod Roddenberry. CBS Television Studios will produce. The new series does not currently have a premiere date.

Unfortunately it will probably be on CBS All Access here rather than Netflix, but it's worth it for another Trek series.

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, New York Yankees
This really is fantastic, completely unexpected but fantastic. A truly great actor he is.

Looking forward to seeing this concept evolve.

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2005
Bentleigh, Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Farkin awesome

VCwCypd.jpg

Feb 11, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I wonder if 'boring' science fiction can still be done successfully with modern audiences.

And when I say 'boring' I mean plots that don't always rely on action scenes to resolve a conflict/work as a conclusion.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
I really don't understand the point of this; the Next Gen story has been told and had a satisfying conclusion, Discovery has shown you can make new shows in the universe again, going back seems odd. And is this a one and done thing or an ongoing series, will it be many of the same characters or completely new? It seems to be pressing the nostalgia button when a news series would have been just as good.

I wonder if 'boring' science fiction can still be done successfully with modern audiences.

And when I say 'boring' I mean plots that don't always rely on action scenes to resolve a conflict/work as a conclusion.

Doctor Who manages it ok in some instances.

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Doctor Who is a big pile of s**t.

TV CGI is much cheaper and better now than 1987-1994 so this will have a lot more of it than The Next Generation did. Among other things this means more action.

Not bad ideas.

Sad when studios and writers seem to come up with poorer concepts.

I think ST needs to take note that The Orville was a better ST continuation than Discovery was, because people actually still have a desire for those sorts of quirky adventures rather than an onerous season long arc that seemed to go in loops and muddles.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
The Orville was a love letter to Star Trek, awkwardly mashed with Family Guy humour, that was less than its parts. I watched the first five or six episodes and just couldn't be bothered following through. Discovery, on the other hand, was a quality show with interesting ideas, albeit still with a few flaws to work out.

The Orville was a love letter to Star Trek, awkwardly mashed with Family Guy humour, that was less than its parts. I watched the first five or six episodes and just couldn't be bothered following through. Discovery, on the other hand, was a quality show with interesting ideas, albeit still with a few flaws to work out.

Hm, I'm only about 5 episodes into The Orville and I love it, purely because of it harking back to what I think of as quintessentially Sci-Fi TV. Maybe I'm just a short attention span kind of guy that shows like Altered Carbon and The Expanse - and indeed Discovery - are a struggle to get into because they're so dense and dour.

It seems in 2018, for a show, particularly Sci-Fi, to be made it has to be shiny, flashy and NEW, but also dark (kind of counter-intuitive with shiny.. tone vs look though), intense, and humourless (for the most part).

The Orville is such a break away from that and a callback that it's actually weirdly refreshing.

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
The space future not being perfect is a huge part of what drives the story and character actions in The Expanse and Altered Carbon. These two shows simply wouldn't work if everybody was smiling at the end of each episode.

The space future not being perfect is a huge part of what drives the story and character actions in The Expanse and Altered Carbon. These two shows simply wouldn't work if everybody was smiling at the end of each episode.

They don't have to be smiling at the end of the episode, and that's not the issue I have with those shows at all. It's that they paint such a bleak, glum picture of the future without enough of a compelling storyline for me (personally) to push through. Maybe I just need to try again, I dunno, but even from a tone point of view, Destiny, Altered Carbon, and The Expanse all seem incredibly dark. Shows seem to be set almost exclusively at night or in dark places.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Hm, I'm only about 5 episodes into The Orville and I love it, purely because of it harking back to what I think of as quintessentially Sci-Fi TV. Maybe I'm just a short attention span kind of guy that shows like Altered Carbon and The Expanse - and indeed Discovery - are a struggle to get into because they're so dense and dour.

It seems in 2018, for a show, particularly Sci-Fi, to be made it has to be shiny, flashy and NEW, but also dark (kind of counter-intuitive with shiny.. tone vs look though), intense, and humourless (for the most part).

The Orville is such a break away from that and a callback that it's actually weirdly refreshing.
Fair enough. I liked TNG but always preferred long-form storytelling in Babylon 5 and DS9, and that's extended into shows like BSG, Altered Carbon, Man in the High Castle, Discovery (man, it's a good time to be a sci-fi fan). I think it was more of the tone of Orville that failed to resonate; at times it captured TNG style perfectly, but then it would cram in some silly humour that just didn't work for me. I think I would have preferred it to choose a tone and go more Family Guy humour, just push those boundaries.

Fair enough. I liked TNG but always preferred long-form storytelling in Babylon 5 and DS9, and that's extended into shows like BSG, Altered Carbon, Man in the High Castle, Discovery (man, it's a good time to be a sci-fi fan). I think it was more of the tone of Orville that failed to resonate; at times it captured TNG style perfectly, but then it would cram in some silly humour that just didn't work for me. I think I would have preferred it to choose a tone and go more Family Guy humour, just push those boundaries.

Oh no doubt, you can absolutely do long form storytelling though and have enjoyable stories set within that over-arching plot. The two are by no means mutually exclusive.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Did not know this. Will look forward to seeing this.
Enjoyed it in 1990s. Was a time when tv series did not have developing plots so will be very different but very interesting to see. Hopefully Q is in it. But like watching Fire Walk With Me in early 90's to continue the story over two decades later means some of actors will no longer be with us. I never knew what was coming with that but was extraordinary to see. Bring it on.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Oh no doubt, you can absolutely do long form storytelling though and have enjoyable stories set within that over-arching plot. The two are by no means mutually exclusive.
That would sum up DS9 until the back half of season 7; probably about a third of the episodes each season were overarching stories, with the rest standalone eps. TNG would have a couple of two-parters each season with the rest standalone. But it's kind of hard to be telling important stories and just stop for an episode or two to go on an adventure, particularly now that a lot of shows are limiting themselves to 10 episodes. I think you have to do one or the other.

That would sum up DS9 until the back half of season 7; probably about a third of the episodes each season were overarching stories, with the rest standalone eps. TNG would have a couple of two-parters each season with the rest standalone. But it's kind of hard to be telling important stories and just stop for an episode or two to go on an adventure, particularly now that a lot of shows are limiting themselves to 10 episodes. I think you have to do one or the other.
Disagree. Shows like Doctor Who show you can have continuity and over arching plot threads and still do standalone adventures. The adventures can lend themselves to the plot thread. In fact, that Star Trek: Galaxy video posted is describing a show that does exactly that.

Hell, Voyager was basically exactly that.

Voyager was fine, the biggest thing it did in the negative was make the borg a lot less powerful.

My own idea for the borg would be to have them adapt as infiltrators that aren't detectable aside from a few nanites in the brain controlling the person, and in a medical world with immune system enhancement based off nanotechnology it would slip through scanning.

..until its too late and the conspiracy unwraps itself with big invasions - so more Deep Space Nine and their changeling issues.

The federation has proven to be a massive threat, so they resolve to wipe it out at all costs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back