New Stargate series on the way?

Remove this Banner Ad

MGM have in the last few days registered new Stargate based trademarks. "Stargate Command" on 10 July and "Stargate Origins" on 17 July. The Origins trademark is listed as "Entertainment services in the nature of a television series and web series featuring science fiction, suspense and drama".

On 20 July at SDCC there is going to be a Stargate related announcement. http://stargate.mgm.com/

10:30am Friday (Adelaide time) is the announcement. Best case scenario would be a new series.

"Stargate Origins" would be a good name for a series revolving around the Ancients developing the gates. "Stargate Command" was going to be essentially a name change for SG-1 after season 8, the show was to continue, likely still with the Ori storyline, but with SG-1 no longer being the central cast.

Still annoyed Universe got canned, thought that had really started to go some interesting ways.
It is continuing in comic form (as did SGA). Not quite the same but maybe some (non-canon) closure.

That said, if Origins is an Ancient-based prequel we might get some more info on the message in the CMB from Universe.

I hope its not 'Command' - no need to go back to SG-1 type show.

Now -

"Origins' - well that would be interesting and a much better idea.
Yeah, Origins would have been good if it had gone ahead when originally planned. If it was treated as a fresh show and give at least 5 seasons to work on the Ori storyline instead of flicking them off in just 2 and a movie that would have been good.

Now though, with Earth as an unopposed galactic superpower, it gets harder to keep adding in new stronger baddies. That said, there are a few stories still to tell, they may be good TV movies though:
- Who the * are the Furlings?
- Full public disclosure of the Stargate program.
- Another meeting with the Aschen, expect they'd be pissed we directed them to a black hole.
- Speaking of that black hole, perhaps go rescue those guys that are slowly getting sucked into it now we have ships. Only moments will have passed for them.
- In fact a lot of stories can be revisited with the development of interstellar ships.
- Living Asgard in Pegasus + Asgard core = work out bringing them all back.
- The giant crystal skull aliens?
- Reetu?
- Mystery ship from Grace?

Absolutely loved Stargate growing up and rewatched it all a few years back.

I hope so! I loved SG1 and Atlantis. Universe was a bit too short for me to really get into though

Wasn't by choice!!

Loved the goa'uld storyline and the replicators until they got weird. Couldn't get into the Ori , never got into the Wraith in Atlantis either, never gave Universe a go.

Universe was comfortably the best of the three series and the only one I've watched all of. SG-1 and Atlantis loved their pissy humour.

6 years is a long time in brand and franchise obsessed Hollywood so a new series sounds likely. Will it be 20+ episodes per season or shift to the short format all the cable/streaming networks seem to do now?

A Stargate Command may work if the first episode reveals that the program was finally shut down years ago and most of the data/tech decommissioned, destroyed or lost for whatever reason. Not sure how a new series would go where teleportation etc still existed as an easy escape plot point.

Anyway will be interesting to hear what's going on. :)

Loved the goa'uld storyline and the replicators until they got weird. Couldn't get into the Ori , never got into the Wraith in Atlantis either, never gave Universe a go.

You'll be pleasantly surprised if you do, it actually holds up better now as I think it was a bit ahead of its time in terms of story structure and style.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SG-1 my equal favourite TV series. They better not reboot it.

I wonder if the writers of the TV are involved, or even Emmerich/Devlin from the movie, last I checked they had canned their plans to reboot the franchise with three new movies.

Sorry shouldn't have said fake, just old movie footage.

I can't wait for this, massive SG1 fan and I hope the new series follows the original formula, Stargate universe was an abomination and should never be spoken of again.
Universe started slowly, but to be fair the first season of SG-1 was pretty average compared to a few years later. Universe had got really good when it was cancelled.

I loved SG1, I loved Atlantis because the lore of the universe was already established so they could just port it to a new galaxy and a naturally forming enemy would present itself - none of this inconvenient bad guys that are way more powerful showing up right after you took out the last one thing. I know they needed a story to continue but seriously, every time a new bad guy popped up I got the feeling that they would have taken out the previous bad guy first and all the previous efforts are ultimately redundant.

Universe I couldn't get into as much, it felt like it was trying to be battlestar gallactica with too much cast. Yes, big ship so they need lots of people but too many stories at once jumbled in my head for very little resolution.

If Rodney McKay was on that ship literally fixing it I would enjoy it more.

I am very excited about TV at the end of the year. New star trek, new star gate, new fake star trek.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back