Official Club Stuff New Strength Coach and Data Scientist - Mladen Jovanović heads high performance team

Remove this Banner Ad

Off the top of my head 10-12 would be within a 3 to 5 kg differential. We dont like putting weight on blokes and would rather prefer to have our of similar age and would have had a simar time to develop his core strength.
Fixed

The
Hombsch on Hawkins is a bad example imo as no club would have three defenders who wouldnt easily lose strength contests against Hawkins and our first two were out imo

The
Hombsch on Hawkins is a bad example imo as no club would have three defenders who wouldnt easily lose strength contests against Hawkins and our first two were out imo

Hombsch was a terrible mismatch but to his credit he was tenacious and Hawkins' 1 goal came from a freak mark near the boundary so it wasn't an easy kick on goal either. Its why I gave him 3 Toots votes.

So what has this dude brought to the club? More soccer fitness?

Do we look any bigger this year? No

Do we look any stronger this year? No

Are we getting beaten up at the stoppages and contested ball in general? Yes

Maybe we need less soccer and more combat style strength training personnel.

Agree absolutely. Im really surprised Ken hasn't been influenced by the Geelong approach. After being so lean for all these years - why not try a year where the players are on the bigger rather than smaller side and see where that gets us. Have a group of lean runners but field a team of KP and midfield beasts!

How many FBs can actually matchup weight for weight with Hawkins?

And Hombsch stength is his speed and athleticism rather than strength.

Ideally we'd be playing Carlile on Hawkins, but he's injured. Hombsch wasn't a great physical matchup. Our second or third strongest KPD not being as strong as arguably the strongest KPF in the competition is hardly 'sack the strength coach' time.

"Man fears the darkness, and so he scrapes away at the edges of it with fire."

In a similar vein, this board fears failure, and so we scrape away at the edges of it with scapegoats.

Man sees the same s**t happening year in year out and thinks of Bert Einstein - “The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results”.

You play Hombsch ie a full back on Hawkins ie a full forward and he gets rag dolled. Thats got nothing to do with mental capacity.
i think this is a poor example. Hombsch isn't and never will be a gorilla full back. It Bobby wasn't injured he would have played on Hawkins. Jacko would have been more suited to Hawkins IMO

i think this is a poor example. Hombsch isn't and never will be a gorilla full back. It Bobby wasn't injured he would have played on Hawkins. Jacko would have been more suited to Hawkins IMO
We have played 4 fullbacks on Hawkins over the 4 seasons Ken has been here and he has also sat in 4 drafts and associated meetings. We have played Jonas, Trengove, Carlile and Hombsch and apart from when Hawkins had a bad back and couldn't bend over he has rag dolled our defenders. So over 4 years we haven't fixed the problem. Same when we play Buddy we play blokes who give away 5-10 cms on him and 10-15kgs. Look at Sydney last year they played Buddy, Tippett, Goodes and Reid in their forwardline and we didnt have guys with the height and bulk to go with them. Same when we play Collingwood with Cloke and others.

If you want to win a flag then surely you go and fix the deficiencies that come up time and again.

I gave Hombsch as an example because we expect him to play week in week out of his weight division and its now the 4th season of this. The Giants got rid of him because they thought he was too small. Its not a criticism of Hombsch. its a criticism of our structures and then not getting guys out of their weight division, some assistance to overcome their physical deficiencies.

Look at the hawks they were short down back so they went and got their gorillas through the free agency system in Lake and Frawley to play on the gorillia forwards.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kelly Starrett is the bloke I would like to see involved at our club in some way.

Reading his book Supple Like A Leopard ATM and his thoughts on not just functional strength and movement but also mobility and injury prevention seem like just what we need ATM.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Jack Hombsch is a Harry Taylor type defender, ie the intercept mark, link man who can run off his man and set up play.
He is absolutely wasted on gorillas like Hawkins because he cannot perform his best role in those situations, and as REH has correctly pointed out, the lack of size in the Power's defence has been a glaring deficiency for years.

Tom Jonas got the job done once on a much bigger player when he was able to regularly run Tex Walker under the ball against the tingles way back in 2013, but expecting someone like him to give away 6 plus centimetres and at least 10 kg every 2nd week is fraught with danger.

Logan Austin has shown enough to suggest he could eventually fill part of the void, but for the team to progress next year much will obviously depend on the use of Trengove, and/or the availability of Carlile.

Has it been confirmed that Jovanovic is no longer at the club?
If he isn't, you would have to wonder why not, and after all the earlier fanfare re his appointment, what t f happened. o_O

So I've heard from a reliable source this is how it went down.

Boak: "Oh, Mladen!"
Mladen: "Boaky you look terrible."
Boak: "I need the keys to the weights room, I've gotta put on some muscle."
Mladen: "Whats wrong with anytime fitness?"
Boak: "THERE'S NO LYING HAMSTRING MACHINE!"
Mladen: "Why don't you just do glute hamstring raises?"
Boak: "They don't hit me like lying hamstrings, come on you're the only one with the key to the Alberton gym, that weights room is the only place that's got the good stuff, and I need it bad baby because I feel like a skinny marathon runner. You gotta help me out."
Burgess: "NOT ON MY WATCH! I will not have you turning my cardio room into a den of strength and conditioning!"
Boaky: "What's wrong with you?"
Burgess: "GET YOUR FIX SOMEWHERE ELSE! Go on, beat it!"
Mladen: "Mr. Burgess, what are you doing!?"
Burgess: "Mladen, you're out of control. You need help. I know what you're going through. I too once fell under the spell of muscle gains. It was 2011, I was travelling England in search of a competitive advantage for Liverpool's fitness program."
Mladen: "Oh for god's sake..."
Burgess: "I had got to the gym after sundown, all of the players had gone. But a different sort of player still lurked. "Just a few reps" he said. That was all it took."
Mladen: Mr. Burgess, I don't know what's going on here. I am not addicted to anything."
Burgess: "Oh Mladen. The toll road of denial is a long and dangerous one. The price? Your soul. Oh and by the way, you have until 5 o'clock to clear out your desk. You're fired."

So I've heard from a reliable source this is how it went down.

Boak: "Oh, Mladen!"
Mladen: "Boaky you look terrible."
Boak: "I need the keys to the weights room, I've gotta put on some muscle."
Mladen: "Whats wrong with anytime fitness?"
Boak: "THERE'S NO LYING HAMSTRING MACHINE!"
Mladen: "Why don't you just do glute hamstring raises?"
Boak: "They don't hit me like lying hamstrings, come on you're the only one with the key to the Alberton gym, that weights room is the only place that's got the good stuff, and I need it bad baby because I feel like a skinny marathon runner. You gotta help me out."
Burgess: "NOT ON MY WATCH! I will not have you turning my cardio room into a den of strength and conditioning!"
Boaky: "What's wrong with you?"
Burgess: "GET YOUR FIX SOMEWHERE ELSE! Go on, beat it!"
Mladen: "Mr. Burgess, what are you doing!?"
Burgess: "Mladen, you're out of control. You need help. I know what you're going through. I too once fell under the spell of muscle gains. It was 2011, I was travelling England in search of a competitive advantage for Liverpool's fitness program."
Mladen: "Oh for god's sake..."
Burgess: "I had got to the gym after sundown, all of the players had gone. But a different sort of player still lurked. "Just a few reps" he said. That was all it took."
Mladen: Mr. Burgess, I don't know what's going on here. I am not addicted to anything."
Burgess: "Oh Mladen. The toll road of denial is a long and dangerous one. The price? Your soul. Oh and by the way, you have until 5 o'clock to clear out your desk. You're fired."

Probably not far off the truth

Remove this Banner Ad

Back