News New Sydney logo leaked

Remove this Banner Ad

acm21

Club Legend
May 7, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Have I missed something?
I didn't know you could own or copyright silhouettes?

I get someone probably owns the Opera House (although I would have thought it was owned by the government) and own images of it ' but skylines would be public domain?
It is owned by the government, in form of the opera house trust. There has been an arrangement by all teams using the logo with the trust, of varying values. The Kings were paying a small fee but when that deal was up the trust decided, as is there right, to make the fee more commercially sound; which led to the kings dropping the house. There was suggestions it would affect the other Sydney teams. Whether this is a direct result of this is still up in the air.

tjpeg_44

Senior List
Aug 18, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
MVC, WHU, SEA, REB
Could the red knob thing on the bill also be a reference to the bloods, kinda looks like a blood droplet, or is that reaching?

Smooth Criminal

Club Legend
Sep 18, 2016
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide

"A club spokesperson confirmed its authenticity and that the Swans had been planning to launch a fresh visual identity for some time - but said it has not been triggered by any increased financial demands by the Sydney Opera House Trust."

"The club spokesperson also said there will be no change to the Swans' guernsey, which has had the 'feathers' design at its heart since 1987."

Announcement coming today too according to article.

Smooth Criminal

Club Legend
Sep 18, 2016
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide

"A club spokesperson confirmed its authenticity and that the Swans had been planning to launch a fresh visual identity for some time - but said it has not been triggered by any increased financial demands by the Sydney Opera House Trust."

"The club spokesperson also said there will be no change to the Swans' guernsey, which has had the 'feathers' design at its heart since 1987."

Gibbsy

Oct 12, 2009
Geelong
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Manchester City, Victory, Cavs
I think it's interesting that the club is going with a bold new "SYDNEY" wordmark, omitting any reference to the Swans nickname in the logo. I wonder if this may mean a change to the way the club is referred to on AFL fixtures, etc? I wouldn't bet on it, but it's a point of discussion all the same.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TheLoungeLizard

The world's most handsome man
Oct 21, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Newcastle United, New York Yankees
I think it's interesting that the club is going with a bold new "SYDNEY" wordmark, omitting any reference to the Swans nickname in the logo. I wonder if this may mean a change to the way the club is referred to on AFL fixtures, etc? I wouldn't bet on it, but it's a point of discussion all the same.
I personally think the Swans have been in Sydney long enough they should be able to stand on their two feet and just be Sydney now.
If they haven't spent the last (nearly what, 40 years?) Building their brand to this point what in the hell have they been doing? Thats 2-3 generations.

And yeah, I know - Sydneysiders don't really care but I travel to Sydney a bit for work and it's not as forgotten about as some say

The Victorian

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
Same reason why Melbourne changed their logo to say MELBOURNE

The Victorian

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd

Nice.. see they like to call the jumper feathers on over the SOH

Remove this Banner Ad