News New Sydney logo leaked

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 27, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Packers, Raptors, Renegades
Interesting though it still isn’t on the swans website other than the article, AFL website, the socials profile pic, not even on IP Aus
I think they might be waiting until November 19th to do the official 'unveiling' so to speak. Because it got leaked they probably just rush that video out early.

Mar 21, 2017
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal, Scorchers, Scuderia Ferrari
The design elements are identical - a stylistic swans head inside a vee. Nobody was calling for the old logo to be changed, and it didn't look dated or tired, either.

I stand by my point that change for the sake of it is pointless unless it's a complete overhaul (Port Adelaide or Fremantle, for example)
It’s a completely new logo, the only element that has been retained is the red V.

Jul 17, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Melbourne Victory
Some concepts. That one with the Opera house on top is elite but couldn't be used for reasons we now know.

View attachment 1005434

Having watched the video, looking at the concepts, and knowing that the jumper isn't changing, I don't actually think the new logo was brought about due to the Opera House trust and their demands at all. It seems to me that the logo change was initiated before the new exorbitant fee was established. Concepts wouldn't feature the Opera House at all if that was the whole reason for changing in the first place. I think it could be possible that during the process they became aware of the new fees, and chose not to use an Opera House design as a result, but I don't think it was the reason for change.

The logo has grown on me a lot, though I do think some of those concepts would have been better. The knob doesn't work, needs to lose the highlight at worst, or be completely omitted at best. I don't have as much of an issue with the Sydney text as others, but I do have an issue with the 1874. It seems to just float in no mans land to me. Think it could have done without it.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
Having watched the video, looking at the concepts, and knowing that the jumper isn't changing, I don't actually think the new logo was brought about due to the Opera House trust and their demands at all. It seems to me that the logo change was initiated before the new exorbitant fee was established. Concepts wouldn't feature the Opera House at all if that was the whole reason for changing in the first place. I think it could be possible that during the process they became aware of the new fees, and chose not to use an Opera House design as a result, but I don't think it was the reason for change.

The logo has grown on me a lot, though I do think some of those concepts would have been better. The knob doesn't work, needs to lose the highlight at worst, or be completely omitted at best. I don't have as much of an issue with the Sydney text as others, but I do have an issue with the 1874. It seems to just float in no mans land to me. Think it could have done without it.
Think it’s in their respect to have the V always. Really not much you can design around it. 1874 and the V was the biggest reason why Sydney was able to have its foundation. Better merge then Brisbane Fitzroy.
Can’t imagine what other design possibilities Sydney could have without the V. A shield like PAFC and Fremantle would be interesting

I always thought the opera house on their guernsey was a double symbol; the opera house and swan feathers. Was disappointed when the creator said it was just the opera house.

I always thouggt it was a fluffy swans butt lol

Mar 30, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Dolphins, Seattle Kraken
Think it’s in their respect to have the V always. Really not much you can design around it. 1874 and the V was the biggest reason why Sydney was able to have its foundation. Better merge then Brisbane Fitzroy.
Can’t imagine what other design possibilities Sydney could have without the V. A shield like PAFC and Fremantle would be interesting
Worth noting that the Sydney move wasn't a merge at all but a relocation. Brisbane was essentially buying assets, sadly.

I thought this one looked incredible;

View attachment 1005846
I'm not the best at the pen tool but here's my attempt at remaking this. Used the old wordmark because there isn't a good enough version of the new one
1604881499262.png

Here's my shot at revising some issues I have with it (too short, weird eye, head looks empty). There's probably a few more things I'd tinker with but it's just a quick job of it.
1604881761166.png

Mar 30, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Dolphins, Seattle Kraken
I'm not the best at the pen tool but here's my attempt at remaking this. Used the old wordmark because there isn't a good enough version of the new one
View attachment 1006851
Here's my shot at revising some issues I have with it (too short, weird eye, head looks empty). There's probably a few more things I'd tinker with but it's just a quick job of it.
View attachment 1006853
I feel like they didn't know what to do with the bottom of it, that's probably why it didn't get over the line.
I actually really like elements of this one, noteably the bottom stripes
1604888031943.png

Zer0

Team Captain
May 16, 2019
NSW/ACT
AFL Club
Melbourne
Worth noting that it looks like the briefing date was 16 July 2019. Goes to show how much of a lead time is required on a project like this

Used to be that when a team settled on a new logo, the AFL had the club commit to the design a full 12 months before being publicly announced

View attachment 1006851
View attachment 1006853

The South Melbourne V needs to stay untouched, tho stakes away from the heritage too much

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apple iCup

Imposter
Jun 12, 2013
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
View attachment 1006851
View attachment 1006853

Yes, yes. Double yes!

jle101

Club Legend
Sep 3, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Williamstown Seagulls
^ Only just now am I noticing just how similar it is to Hawthorn's current logo.

Jul 21, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers
I’m a brand designer and there’s at least 6 things wrong with this logo. Who the hell gets the gig to do some of these rebrands?
It’s not a Crows type disaster but there’s simple flaws that shouldn’t be there for a pro sports team
purely out of curiosity, can you name the issues?

Oct 27, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Packers, Raptors, Renegades
I’m a brand designer and there’s at least 6 things wrong with this logo. Who the hell gets the gig to do some of these rebrands?
It’s not a Crows type disaster but there’s simple flaws that shouldn’t be there for a pro sports team
It's one of the best rebrand logos in recent years, contemporary yet familiar to the old emblem.

Last edited:

joeyavalanche

Premiership Player
May 30, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
purely out of curiosity, can you name the issues?

• The bulb on the nose. Absolutely not required. Unless there is a tie to this specific swan breed, it doesn’t add anything nor define a swan and it adds unrequired confusion.

• glare on eyeball and bulb are same so the bulb can also look like the swan has crazy eyes.

• the Sydney font has no feeling of a sports club. needs to have some boldness

• there are small little indents in the D and E where I think the designer has tried to add some character which would have looked good if executed right but they are so small it’s not even visible.

• Good luck reading that 1874 when the logo is reduced to an avatar/icon size.

• personal opinion but the head/beak intersect point is very busy, i think if that section was more centered inside the red V rather than along the edge it would look cleaner

• the V does not need to be so tall. Logos these days need to be seen at mobile icon size, a more overall square shape would give same results but bolder especially when alongside all club logos. Minor but someone got paid a lot to get these details right.

in saying all this, the overall idea is simple and classic, it’s just some details in the execution which I think could be improved.

1604581660532.png

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
ΠΓΣΣ LFC Sturt Steelers Nix
• The bulb on the nose. Absolutely not required. Unless there is a tie to this specific swan breed, it doesn’t add anything nor define a swan and it adds unrequired confusion.

• glare on eyeball and bulb are same so the bulb can also look like the swan has crazy eyes.

• the Sydney font has no feeling of a sports club. Off the top of my head, something like the Eagles font which is still understated but has some boldness and movement to it would have worked well.

• there are small little indents in the D and E where I think the designer has tried to add some character which would have looked good if executed right but they are so small it’s not even visible.

• Good luck reading that 1874 when the logo is reduced to an avatar/icon size.

• personal opinion but the head/beak intersect point is very busy, i think if that section was more centered inside the red V rather than along the edge it would look cleaner

• the V does not need to be so tall. Logos these days need to be seen at mobile icon size, a more overall square shape would give same results but bolder especially when alongside all club logos. Minor but someone got paid a lot to get these details right.

in saying all this, the overall idea is simple and classic, it’s just some details in the execution which I think could be improved.

1604581660532.png
I don't disagree with any of this, especially the bulb/"swandrop" logic in the first dot point.

Just curious, what did you think of Sydney's previous font? It was definitely a unique one in the sporting world, but would you have classed that as a sports club font?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back