News New Sydney logo leaked

Oct 27, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Packers, Raptors, Renegades
Eh it's interesting, will definitely have to get used to it.

Clearly trying to mimic the sort of 'Sydney Roosters logo' vibe so I understand what they were trying to do.

jle101

Club Legend
Sep 3, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Williamstown Seagulls
Yeah, a return to the red V wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. A return to the red sash would be even better.

I like it - but I loved the old logo - but to be honest it's a really tasteful refresh of their logo - more clubs could take note.

The real question is will it be in a white box or not on GF day?

I don’t mind it, but then I was in a minority who didn’t really love the old one.

Most interesting for me is it just says Sydney rather than Sydney Swans. From a branding POV, the club have historically always attached the Swans moniker to their name and not simply gone by Sydney to avoid conflicts with teams in other sports.
Probably part of the deal when South moved north too.

swan003.jpg

Some real crazy eyes there.

Put my finger over the googly eye thing and it looks so much better.
I don’t mind it, but then I was in a minority who didn’t really love the old one.
I'm with you, too. The incumbent is a fine logo, but doesn't really warrant the love it gets on here. It's always felt very corporate to me, the swan is too delicate for a sports logo. And on top of that, it was really unbalanced with the heavy V on top and the finicky swan on the bottom. This new one at least feels more like a sports logo.

Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Put my finger over the googly eye thing and it looks so much better.

It’s called a Basal Knob, otherwise known as the Lord Mayor of Perth. I agree that it’s a bit distracting. They should probably take the highlight off it.

I’m probably in the minority here but I actually think this is an improvement. The swan in the old logo was poorly drawn.

Edit: Sans shiny Knob.

A6608E29-437E-44D3-B140-2B835867BCF6.jpeg

Last edited:
It’s not an eye it’s a nose ball sack
It’s called a Basal Knob, otherwise known as the Lord Mayor of Perth. I agree that it’s a bit distracting. They should probably take the highlight off it.

I’m probably in the minority here but I actually think this is an improvement. The swan in the old logo was poorly drawn.

Edit: Sans shiny Knob.

View attachment 1004673
Yeah I get that, I just don't think it's a commonly identified feature of a swan. Especially not for a logo that's taking a fairly minimal take. If you asked someone to draw a swan, I would say that 90% of the time they wouldn't include it. The way that this logo makes it a prominent feature makes it confusing to look at.

Have I missed something?
I didn't know you could own or copyright silhouettes?

I get someone probably owns the Opera House (although I would have thought it was owned by the government) and own images of it ' but skylines would be public domain?

Back