Discussion New theme song for 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

The clubs do have the option - Gil went at pains to say as much last night on AFL360, obviously having not expected the backlash since Friday...
There WILL be a backlash from Saints fans on Saturday if...

...they play the Lions theme song AFTER the game!

So odd bump but I'm noticing this now.

We're still using the new theme song at certain venues and the old theme song at other venues? The Gabba (final and games last year), Moorabbin (AFLW) plays the old song while Marvel and as of yesterday the Showgrounds play the new song?

Personally i don't like the new song and would prefer us using the old song at all grounds as I think we're one of the only clubs not using our original song?

Really disappointing that we remain the only Melbourne club who didn't do anything about this, and also the only club that never made a public acknowledgement of it, let alone a reason why it was changed. (Sydney and Geelong seem to have kept the new ones, although all clubs - including us - had the Gabba play the original versions last year).

I've contacted the club multiple times about this since 2018 with varying degrees of success and am hoping to hear back (again) soon. I was promised early last year that The Fable Singers version would be returned full-time, but was told it was when I followed up during COVID to contact grounds managements (when not our home game) to inform them to use the original version.

I genuinely haven't heard anyone say they prefer the new cover version, and given The Fable Singers versions are really an entrenched part of footy, the clubs, and game day I still find it strange the club has handled it this way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back