NCAA New to College Football - Looking for a Team to Follow

Remove this Banner Ad

hey im a giants fan in the nfl but looking to follow a college team, im looking for a team with consistent passing focus throughout its recent history and for the forseeable future, preferrably a team that isnt a basket case and performs well regularly (but not too successful if there is such a thing)

(also a team from a uni in a big city would be nice) thanks

Someone is cranky today :rolleyes:

No Riggy is right.

Ohio State are a bunch of in-bred, cheating, lying, arse-crack licking hill-billies.

No exaggeration.

Therefore you should support the Wolverines. We are about to F..K s**t up again.

No Riggy is right.

Ohio State are a bunch of in-bred, cheating, lying, arse-crack licking hill-billies.

No exaggeration.

Therefore you should support the Wolverines. We are about to F..K s**t up again.

I like Ohio because I know someone that did a semester there. Pretty s**t reason so I'd be open to change. Riggy's first suggestion was a good one, but location and relation to my current teams isn't really important.

Loud fans/atmosphere, good tradition, reasonable success (say top 50) are my main criteria.

hey im a giants fan in the nfl but looking to follow a college team, im looking for a team with consistent passing focus throughout its recent history and for the forseeable future, preferrably a team that isnt a basket case and performs well regularly (but not too successful if there is such a thing)

(also a team from a uni in a big city would be nice) thanks
Problem is, the teams with the passing focus are mainly non-BCS schools, so generally average teams at best.

But there are 4 standout teams.

Hawai'i (Honolulu)
SMU (Dallas)
Houston (Houston)
Texas A&M (132Km NW of Houston, 247Km NE of San Antonio, 244Km S of Dallas)

Those first 3 cover all you want, but they're non-BCS schools, therefore, they need to go 13-0 to be a shot at a BCS Bowl game

Texas A&M arn't in a big city, but would be more successfull.
Also, give it a year or two and they'll be in the SEC, so could be even better in 2020 than now

Loud fans/atmosphere, good tradition, reasonable success (say top 50) are my main criteria.
If that's it
8 schools are coming to mind

LSU, Penn State and Michigan would be best
Texas A&M and Oregon would be pretty decent
Florida, Florida State and USC wouldn't be bad either

i changed my mind i just meant more of an exciting game style no matter the recruits that they have, and something that i know i will enjoy watching, i think i a bsc school or whatever would be enjoyable, you know a team that will generally be there more than others, also academically better would be too much to ask right?

i changed my mind i just meant more of an exciting game style no matter the recruits that they have, and something that i know i will enjoy watching, i think i a bsc school or whatever would be enjoyable, you know a team that will generally be there more than others, also academically better would be too much to ask right?
That opens it up way too much

Maybe I'll cut the massive list that would come by what their chances for the title would be

SEC is more of a defensive league, so I wouldn't watch it for the offencive entertainment.
ACC is rarely on TV, same with the Big East

Big 12 (-2) - Texas might be on a bit this year (LongHorn Network part of ESPN family of networks), and with it, Texas A&M? Oklahoma? Oklahoma State?

Big 10 (+2) - Own network, barely on TV

Pac-12 - Oregon would be great, maybe USC

non-BCS

Most will never be on BUT
TCU - Defensive team, waste of time if you want exciting offence
Boise State - You'd love them, very exciting offence, PLUS, we play cupcakes so that offensive entertainment will flourish :p

It comes down to the big city thing you mentioned - Go USC (LA), and maybe consider Texas (Austin, Texas)

But Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas A&M, Oregon and Boise State would be good chances.

One shows CBS stuff (SEC :rolleyes:) so only go with a SEC team if you only have free-to-air and you really really need to watch your team.

If you have foxtel, of those 7 teams, the amount of games you would expect to see on TV if ESPN/ESPN2 show all games from the US ESPN chain of networks

USC - 7/1*
Texas - 6/6*
Oklahoma - 2/7*
Oklahoma State - 3/8*
Texas A&M - 1/9*
Oregon - 4/7*
Boise State - 3/0

*Could still be scheduled onto ESPN/ESPN2/ABC/LongHorn Network but unlikely

So yeah, USC and Texas would be good choices for you.
Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas A&M, Oregon and Boise State would be good to consider as well.

If that's it
8 schools are coming to mind

LSU, Penn State and Michigan would be best
Texas A&M and Oregon would be pretty decent
Florida, Florida State and USC wouldn't be bad either

Location is also of some importance. I don't like Texas and Cali (liked the Dodgers before I started not liking cali). Also don't really like Florida, would like to go there just don't like the state for some reason.

That leaves: LSU, Penn State, Michigan, Oregon

Ruled out LSU because they have Vikings colours and I hate the Vikings.
The watched some Penn State vids and I love them... the White House games are sick.... so I've chosen them.

You said performs well regularly
They've only won 5 conference championships since WW2 (5 in 66 years or 1 every 13 years - Though, it is time, this is the 13th season since your last conference title)

Just because 2011 was their best season since 1940, doesn't mean you should jump on board them. Especially when you're looking for success.

What do you think of Stanford? whats wrong with following them? thinking of them just quietly (thanks for before though)

Stanford are a young football program in terms of good recruiting, before Jim Harbaugh we were a 1-11 team. and next year with Andrew Luck graduating after this season i dont expect much more than a .500 team. but we have some good young prospects committing for next year, and what i saw of Nunes last year and in the Spring game this year, its a big step back from Luck, so i would think about a .500 team.

but if you are going to accept a year or more of recovering from the Loss of Andrew Luck it will be easy to get all Stanford games next year with the Pac12 Network launching in the US next season so id will be easy to find them on the internet with more exposure nationally.

but this year should be a good year if we can recover from loosing our O-line and Owen Marecic who last year scored 2 TDs in 12 sec and 2 plays one as a FB and one as a LB first player in decades to do that. we will also Miss Fua on our D line.

But some players are expected big things like Chris Owusu after a down year playing hurt will be our #1 WR,Coby Fleener is a good blocking and catching TE, Shane Skov is said to be ready to have a breakthrough year at LB. and i think we will stick to last years system with using 3-4 RB per game and giving them even carries. but Anthony Wilkerson is likely to be used more than the others.

This year will likely be between Stanford and Oregon in the Pac12 North [unless somthing bad comes to Oregon from the NCAA investigation]. but watch a few games and highlight shows before picking a team, and dont gat attached to older players. it still hurts to think of Toby Gerihart as a Viking :(

Stanford are a young football program in terms of good recruiting, before Jim Harbaugh we were a 1-11 team. and next year with Andrew Luck graduating after this season i dont expect much more than a .500 team. but we have some good young prospects committing for next year, and what i saw of Nunes last year and in the Spring game this year, its a big step back from Luck, so i would think about a .500 team.

but if you are going to accept a year or more of recovering from the Loss of Andrew Luck it will be easy to get all Stanford games next year with the Pac12 Network launching in the US next season so id will be easy to find them on the internet with more exposure nationally.

but this year should be a good year if we can recover from loosing our O-line and Owen Marecic who last year scored 2 TDs in 12 sec and 2 plays one as a FB and one as a LB first player in decades to do that. we will also Miss Fua on our D line.

But some players are expected big things like Chris Owusu after a down year playing hurt will be our #1 WR,Coby Fleener is a good blocking and catching TE, Shane Skov is said to be ready to have a breakthrough year at LB. and i think we will stick to last years system with using 3-4 RB per game and giving them even carries. but Anthony Wilkerson is likely to be used more than the others.

This year will likely be between Stanford and Oregon in the Pac12 North [unless somthing bad comes to Oregon from the NCAA investigation]. but watch a few games and highlight shows before picking a team, and dont gat attached to older players. it still hurts to think of Toby Gerihart as a Viking :(

defs sold on this, after luck leaves i can handle the pain, but just quietly how many college players play both sides of the ball?

not many play both sides of the ball, because at times they hyped Marecic up for playing both sides and playing hard hitting spots as a full back and Linebacker. and Andrew Luck is mentoring the 49ers rookie QB which i find kinda funny.

if you do choose Stanford i look forward to talking about the games and stuff this season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

my mate and i both love NFL and we wanted to start following College but didnt know what team to support, what we did the other day was put the Top 35 teams in a hat a picked one out. whatever team we picked was the team we would follow. he got
Texas Longhorns and i got TCU horned frogs. we both Happy with our new teams

my mate and i both love NFL and we wanted to start following College but didnt know what team to support, what we did the other day was put the Top 35 teams in a hat a picked one out. whatever team we picked was the team we would follow. he got

thats a poor way of picking teams, you should watch some games because you might hate the way teams play, and find one that you love there game plan.

thats a poor way of picking teams, you should watch some games because you might hate the way teams play, and find one that you love there game plan.

yeah that's a fair point, the hard thing is we don't have foxtel so don't get to see much college football on TV. its was a bit of fun to see who we would get. i have since watched videos on youtube of TCU, what i have seen they look exciting to watch.
Being number 1 in defense and number 4 in offence seems to me like a good team to follow.

it may not be the best way to start following a team but i don't see anything wrong with it either.
each to there own.

Troll response: You're an Eagle fan and going for someone from the Dallas-Fort Worth area? :rolleyes:

Serious response: If you love the Eagles for game style, I'd avoid the Horned Frogs, they're polar opposites. It's Steeler and Raven fans who love hard strong defence who should go for TCU. Ditch the idea you've gone with, just support Oregon Ducks, if you're an Eagle fan due to their excitement, just go with the Ducks, outside of C-USA schools who RUTS vs s**t teams, the Ducks would be the most exciting team in college football.

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll admit I'm not an expert on Amercian football yet but slowly learning more and more. I'll look into the ducks. Have you got any advise on a team for my mate who is Axis_miles who is on Bigfooty aswell, he is a 49ers fan?

DB/aussiedude, I'd be interested in who you guys would recommend to me. I'd be looking for a team that is good defensively, had NFL calibre talent (i.e. has players drafted regularly) and has a relatively frequent chance at a bowl game.

I've got a couple of teams in mind but i'd be interested to see if either fit who you'd recommend

DB/aussiedude, I'd be interested in who you guys would recommend to me. I'd be looking for a team that is good defensively, had NFL calibre talent (i.e. has players drafted regularly) and has a relatively frequent chance at a bowl game.

I've got a couple of teams in mind but i'd be interested to see if either fit who you'd recommend
Boise State - #2 Defence last year
been to bowl games for 9 straight years (and 11 of the last 12)
Has talent drafted. Gerald Alexander, Ryan Clady, Daryn Colledge, Korey Hall, Legedu Naanee, Orlando Scandrick, Austin Pettis, Titus Young, Brandyn Thompson, Derek Schouman, Kyle Wilson

note - Other schools which would be good. [insert 10 of 12 SEC teams - ignore Vanderbilt and Kentucky], TCU, USC

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll admit I'm not an expert on Amercian football yet but slowly learning more and more. I'll look into the ducks. Have you got any advise on a team for my mate who is Axis_miles who is on Bigfooty aswell, he is a 49ers fan?
Stanford - Similar gameplan (well, when they had Gerhart), same city
Nevada - Colin Kaepernick

But it's stupid picking on geographic area, I just bring it up when information is short.

If you're looking for teams that are all about offence, then I suggest sticking with Oregon (who I go for) or Oklahoma State. The Ducks would be on TV more than the Cowboys though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back