NFL New to NFL - Please Explain

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Explain NFL comp ?

The league is split up into two conferences of 16 teams. The AFC (American Football Conference) and the NFC (National Football Conference). This was brought about because of the merger of two seperate leagues.

Each conference has four divsions or four teams; North, South, East and West

Each conference has it's own playoffs with the winner of each conference playing off in the Superbowl.

The playoff teams in each conference are decided by the four division winners, and two wildcard teams which are the two teams with the best winning record not to have won a division.

The reason that the NFL is so popular and exciting at time is because of how many playoffs are played. A fair part of the season is just playoff after playoff

chemical said:
The reason that the NFL is so popular and exciting at time is because of how many playoffs are played. A fair part of the season is just playoff after playoff

Not really.
There is 4 months of regular season, 1 month of playoffs.
The maximum amount of playoff games a team can have is 4, just like the AFL.

You are thinking of hockey, basketball and baseball, which all have "best of" playoff series, which do take longer to complete.

The playoffs only go for three weeks and then the superbowl.

Considering there are 32 teams and only 12 qualify for the playoffs, I reckon it's actually pretty condensed.

First weekend : Widcard Weekend : 4 games (2 AFC, 2 NFC)

Second Weekend : Divisional Round : 4 games (2 AFC, 2 NFC)

Third Weekend : Championship games : 2 games (1 AFC, 1 NFC)

Then the superbowl.

2002-2009 schedule rotation

Under the new scheduling formula, every team within a division will play 16 games as follows:

Home and away against its three division opponents (6 games).

The four teams from another division within its conference on a rotating three-year cycle (4 games).

The four teams from a division in the other conference on a rotating four-year cycle (4 games).

Two intraconference games based on the previous year's standings (2 games). These games will match a first-place team against the first-place teams in the two same-conference divisions the team is not scheduled to play that season. The second-place, third-place, and fourth-place teams in a conference will be matched in the same way each year

Re: NFL Rocks !!

I really think the rotation works well. The divisions have drawbacks as playing in a weak divisions making it easier to qualify for the play-offs but not every divisional match up is a foregone conclusion as New England found out last week vs Miami. :D

Having a 16 game schedule makes many games a cut throat situation from the get go especially when tie breakers for the play-offs are determined. Chemical may have a point about many games having play-off ramifications. And then there's OT.

i have to disagree woodson (re your point on weak divisions). I believe that the conference/division set-up is the most fair & equitable method of conducting the season when a competition cannot ensure all teams meet once or even twice (take note AFL). The fact that 14 of a teams 16 matches are common to the other 3 teams in its division, and teams within a division are compared to each other for play-off qualification (before the wild-card scenario comes into play), it ensures each team that gains a play-off berth earns it by performing the best against its division's direct opponents (opponents unique to each division).

One aspect I would amend though is the home & away scheduling for teams within a division against the four teams from a division within a conference and the four teams from a division in the other conference. I would have a division play ALL its matches against the teams in another division within its conference at home (or away on the next 4-yr rotation) and play ALL its matches against the teams in a division from the other conference away (or home on the next 4-yr rotation). This would ensure that team's from a division not only have common opponents (as is current practice) but, all team's within a division play these common opponents under the same home or away conditions.

One thing I do have a beef with regarding the re-alignment is the the maintenance of particular team's in a division which they really do not belong taking into account a team's location e.g. Dallas in the NFC East, St Louis (formerly LA)in the NFC West and Indianapolis (formerly Baltimore) in the AFC South. I realise that the first two were kept amongst their old rivals but, they're a fair way from home.

This is my little re-alignment and admittingly, I have disregarded all past rivalries and based it purely on a franchise's location.

AFC East NFC East
Baltimore New York Giants
Buffalo Philadelphia
New England St Louis
New York Jets Washington

AFC North NFC North
Cincinnati Chicago
Cleveland Detroit
Indianapolis Green Bay
Pittsburgh Minnesota

AFC South NFC South
Houston Atlanta
Jacksonville Carolina
Miami New Orleans
Tennessee Tampa Bay

AFC West NFC West
Denver Arizona
Kansas City Dallas
Oakland San Francisco
San Diego Seattle

Miami moved from AFC East to South, Baltimore from AFC North to East, and Indianapolis from AFC South to North. Dallas moved from NFC East to West, and St Louis from NFC West to East.

All that said, I reckon the system in practice in the NFL at the moment works a treat.

St Louis really isn't much further east than Dallas.

Detroit or Carolina in the NFC East would make more sense. Geographically anyway.

Re: NFL Schedule.... Deja Vu

mcgarnacle said:
One aspect I would amend though is the home & away scheduling for teams within a division against the four teams from a division within a conference and the four teams from a division in the other conference. I would have a division play ALL its matches against the teams in another division within its conference at home (or away on the next 4-yr rotation) and play ALL its matches against the teams in a division from the other conference away (or home on the next 4-yr rotation). This would ensure that team's from a division not only have common opponents (as is current practice) but, all team's within a division play these common opponents under the same home or away conditions.

Yup, gotta agree. We can't have those cosy DOME teams playing in ideal conditions more times than other teams. ps: Deja Vu for the Colts ..a visit to Gillette Stadium in a coupla weeks beckons.

Advertisements on Uniforms?

Hi everyone,

A general question was asked today at our work, and that was why there are no advertisements on the uniforms in the NFL?

Same goes with NBA, and MLB as far as I recall... yet compare this to the NBL here in Australia, or even the AFL and NRL - all of which feature numerous advertisements on playing uniforms.

I answered that the respective league's simply mustn't allow advertisements on uniforms (despite the huge marketing possibilities)..

Can anyone provide any further information?

Re: Advertisements on uniforms?

I am sure if you did a search on google or something, they would give you the exact answer.

Actually, I like the way they do limit the logos in all thier sports.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are some rules governing it. The same goes for all the team merchandise- if you look at what the coaches and staff were wearing, it was only the name of the team, the SuperBowl Logo and the clothing manufacturer's logo. The same goes for the field- where we have been reduced to putting logos on the playing surface, they keep it to those 3 logos- the NFL, Superbowl and the teams at either end.

The teams don't seem to need them, and the sponsors (like the ones around the ground get exposure thanks to the huge TV contract).

Then again, they don't need major sponsors, given the private ownership.

It goes for all thier sports- NBA, NFL, Baseball..........it seems that it strengthens the value of sponsors if the exposure is limited.

NFL and baseball are the toughest- they want the uniforms pretty precise...in the NFL, you have to have shirts tucked in, socks pulled up...no variation permitted. Baseball somewhat the same...although the style of socks tends to vary. No ads permitted on the unis at all...don't know on that...I like the bit of sponsorship....

Baseball had a big flap this past year about selling ads on the field- Spoder Man 2 (movie) was going to be all over the place, but they cut it out....around the stadium ios a different story....ads all over the place.

I would think they also avoid clashes that way. If a team is sponsored by X-Box but the league has a deal with Playstation you could foresee some legal problems.

luke2177 said:
Hi everyone,

A general question was asked today at our work, and that was why there are no advertisements on the uniforms in the NFL?

Same goes with NBA, and MLB as far as I recall... yet compare this to the NBL here in Australia, or even the AFL and NRL - all of which feature numerous advertisements on playing uniforms.

I answered that the respective league's simply mustn't allow advertisements on uniforms (despite the huge marketing possibilities)..

Can anyone provide any further information?
You forgot the NHL.

The actually stadiums are also quite clean from advertisment.

Appleyard said:
I would think they also avoid clashes that way. If a team is sponsored by X-Box but the league has a deal with Playstation you could foresee some legal problems.

There really isn't that much of a problem- the sponsors for the leaguye are the companies buying ads for national telecasts....when FOX shows a baseball game, for example, there will be sponsors for the telecast- Miller beer, GM cars etc... But is they are in St.Louis, for example, you are going to have ads for Budweiser (not Miller beer). The way FOX gets their ads now is by virtual ads on the wall behind home plate...they can fit ads for specific cities they telecast too as well.

Team sponsors will always be taken care of- and when you listen to the telecasts on local broadcasts, expect to hear the folks shilling as much as ol' Rex does on 3AW for fish and chips....

I think they have done a good job on separating these things, and revenue on a national basis is actually shared by clubs....though local rights go to the club alone, opf course. The New York Yankees, for instance, have a local radio/TV deal that brings them 100 million, while the Montreal Expos couldn't even sell English broadcast rights. Therein is a major problem for baseball- witness who the Yanks go and sign each year...would be like Collingwood getting a special Friday night deal and earning extra bucks while St Kilda gets nothing....

Lethal said:
The stadiums in the NHL have on ice advertising and around the boards.

Funniest one years ago was the Toronto Maple Leafs- had a goon on their team named Dave "Tiger" Williams." Their owner (Harold Ballard) made John Elliott look like an enlightened reformer....he also owned the Hamilton Tiger Cats of the Canadian Football League...he wanted to put two tigers on the boards (I think) at Maple Leaf gardens. As I recall, the league turned him down because they saw it as promoting Williams, whereas Ballard claimed they were for his football team. Ballard also lost a lot of money bewcause he refused to allow games with the Russian teams in MLG in the 70s...very anti-communist...but those games were hugely popular in canada....

Lethal said:
The stadiums in the NHL have on ice advertising and around the boards.
They are arena's not stadiums ;)

They are still quite clean from advertisement. IMO they have less adv. boards then stadiums/ovals/etc in this country.

feher said:
They are arena's not stadiums ;)

They are still quite clean from advertisement. IMO they have less adv. boards then stadiums/ovals/etc in this country.

You can have advertising anywhere in the stadiums, on the sideboards surounding the fields etc. That is controlled by the stadiums themselves. Some don't allow advertisements directly on the field itself, but will allow digital advertisements that appear on the TV as if they were on the field

The reason you don't see ads on jersey's is because its simply a class thing. They want to keep the game in that respect pure and traditional, I really appreciate that about my sports teams back home, over here watching sports I feel like I'm looking at a billboard sometimes watching the players.

Re: How does the NFL draft work?

IN what way, do you mean?

They have 7 rounds of 32 picks, and teams are allocated compensatory picks at the ends of rounds 3-7, depending on the free agents they lost the previous year (or something to that effect).

It is run over two days, Rounds 1-3 the first day, and rounds 4-7 the second. Teams have 15 minutes to pick in the first round, 10 in the second and 5 in rounds 3-7 (again, or something to that effect, I'm about 85% sure).

Draft day trades are allowed, as is trading picks for picks.

Does that cover your question?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back