New VFL/ AFL competetion?

Remove this Banner Ad

catswhiskers2007

Senior List
Apr 17, 2009
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Liam Pickering said on AFL Teams that all AFL clubs will have a 'seconds' team next year and current non-AFL VFL clubs would be told to form their own VFL competition. Anyone else heard this from other sources?

Liam Pickering said on AFL Teams that all AFL clubs will have a 'seconds' team next year and current non-AFL VFL clubs would be told to form their own VFL competition. Anyone else heard this from other sources?

I hope this happens and to strengthen Vic Footy, merge the TAC Cup with the VFL.

VFL sides can comprise of 17s 19s ressies and seniors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catswhiskers2007

Wonder if this is along the lines of the rumour of an EAST COAST league or even a two Divisions under the AFL, ie:

AFL 18 teams.
AFL premier south 10 teams including SA VIC TAS
AFL premier north 10 teams including NSW QLD NT ACT

this would leave room for the AFL to enter 2 more teams in the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by catswhiskers2007

Wonder if this is along the lines of the rumour of an EAST COAST league or even a two Divisions under the AFL, ie:

AFL 18 teams.
AFL premier south 10 teams including SA VIC TAS
AFL premier north 10 teams including NSW QLD NT ACT

this would leave room for the AFL to enter 2 more teams in the future

WA must feel hard done by :)

What do you mean by only 10 teams?

There will be 14 reserve teams from VIC/SA/WA.

This is from the QLD thread and explains the northern zone sort of
Northern State Football League - Lions, GC, + 4 elite QAFL sides 2012

there is a new league coming that will include

Lions, GC, GWS and Swans reserves, NT Thunder, ACT, + 4 clubs from the present QAFL. no idea which ones, but i'd be suspecting Morningside and Southport would be on that list somewhere.

http://www.ntnews.com.au/article/201...1_ntsport.html

20 teams minimum it will be in 2 zones to cut down on travel and costs, they'll probably do a superbowl type thing.

There's something about this new competition in today's Herald Sun, I don't think it could happen because a lot of the Victorian teams couldn't afford to field their own feeder sides.

Wow that is well, interesting indeed.

Which teams (clubs) in AFL Sydney and AFL Queensland would be able to compete, money wise and player wise against the three AFL clubs and the AFL and AFL NT backed NT Thunder.

Also would they think about having aAFL Cairns Rep team??

I don't know too much about the AFLS teams, but i would say
Southport SHARKS
Redland BOMBERS
Aspley HORNETS
Western MAGPIES (sherwood)

would have enough money and good infrastructure.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...-football-league/story-e6frf9jf-1225859660071

Good result. Four solid second-tier leagues, with the WAFL and SANFL staying untouched, a possibility of more standalone VFL teams, and a combined northern states league giving the NSW and QLD teams a better reserves competition, and laying the groundwork for future expansion in Canberra and Darwin.

If this does happen some VFL clubs may die as they are not able to virtually stand alone aside from the likes of Port Melbourne, Frankston and North Ballarat who have a great facility at Eureka Stadium.

It's obvious that this is the case, but some people in football administration would rather see some proud VFL clubs die rather over seeing AFL clubs have greater control of players and the like.

The whole situation will put Footy in Victoria behind again.

Every othe state in Aus has a league, whether or not it is a good standard or not is another topic, but the VFL, VFA AFL Vic whatever it is called needs to be totally seperate from the AFL Ressies.
I wouldn't watch some mish mash team, i want to watch my own team with it's own identity not an identity crisis i get that from my wife, not my footy team as well.

Bendigo aren't exactly a proud old club, but I don't think Coburg playing in Craigieburn and Preston playing in Carlton are doing their heritage particularly proud as is. Of the rest, only Box Hill are aligned to a club that could afford to run a standalone reserves team.

I was speaking about traditional clubs like Sandringham, Williamstown, Werribee etc.

Coburg and Preston are traditional VFL clubs, just playing out of different venues.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You speak to alot of the old Willy supporters and its not the same for them anymore.

As i've said on here before a way to get more interest in the state wide league in victoria is to align the TAC Cup and VFL so say sides like Willy will follow similar models to the system in SA and WA.

rooboy_88
As i've said on here before a way to get more interest in the state wide league in victoria is to align the TAC Cup and VFL

This is a good idea since the TAC teams and VFL teams are aligned, sort of.
The problem at the moment (EXAMPLE) is who wants to watch Coburg with only half the team are Coburg players, and the rest are made up from Richmonds Crap draft picks. Too many clubs like this at the moment.
Is it the VFL, the AFL Victorian teams Reserves or VFL with some AFL players playing sometimes when they don't get picked for the AFL.

Get you own damn league AFL, o you have then get the hell out of the VFL.

Reminds me of the restructure that took place in the late 1990s. This is more for reference but hope you find it interesting.

The VFL and Under 18s were set to merge, so that the VFL teams would be named for regions rather than suburbs. Box Hill was to relocate to Oakleigh as a "South East" team.

That didn't happen and instead we got the reverse, Under 18s teams naming themselves after suburbs:
Central -> Prahran -> Sandringham
Northern -> Preston
Southern -> Dandenong

South East ended up becoming Oakleigh... the Chargers name was taken from Box Hill's Mustang (white horse). Then when the alignments occurred... the white horses aligned with Port Melbourne, while Box Hill aligned with the Eastern Rangers. :confused:

Then we came to 2000 where the VSFL (i.e. old Reserves) got absorbed by the VFL and for a season we had a 19-team competition. What bugged me was that it wasn't enough for AFL teams to align, they went and CHANGED THE FREAKING CLUB TO SUIT THEIR OWN NEEDS. Here are the worst ones:

Essendon took over Bendigo, changing them from the Diggers to Bombers, changing the strip from blue/gold to black/red, changing the song, everything.

Richmond forced Coburg to change from Lions to Tigers. Official word from Richmond when I asked them why? "If we aren't called the Tigers, then Richmond fans won't come watch us." Bulldust! And now we've got the situation where we've had two Tigers teams in the league for a decade. Only concession ended up being Coburg's blue/red jumper coming back.

Hawthorn forced Box Hill to become the Hawks. The white Mustang stays on the jumper.

Natural alignments were forgotten:
Collingwood-Preston nixed by Carlton's alignment
Footscray-Williamstown nixed by Collingwood, but now back in force
Coburg-Fitzroy name lost when Richmond moved in

Imagine if every AFL club forced their identity on the VFL aligned clubs... over the years we'd have had:

Northern Blues
Sandringham Demons
Sandringham Saints
Springvale Saints
Casey Saints
Casey Demons
Williamstown Magpies
Williamstown Bulldogs
Werribee Bulldogs
Werribee Kangaroos
North Ballarat Kangaroos
Tasmania Kangaroos
Port Melbourne Swans
Port Melbourne Kangaroos

Might be something for the photoshop jumper thread...

What a mess! Second tier footy in Victoria is a joke.
Surely the Victorian AFL teams could run their own reserves and be done with it. (10 teams).

Let the QLD/NSW/ACT/NT comp develop.

The old VFA sides would have to pick up the pieces after the withdrawl of these sides, but I am sure things would eventually improve.

That's all they need to do iwantanotherflag, just have 2 seperate comps again, the AFL and the AFL clubs want the VFL to sell more merchandise and entice them to the AFL games.

Seriously in a word NO.
Yes i understand some clubs need it and some Alignments (takeovers) have worked, but where is the Heart of the league who is really following it. And i mean follow every game, not just a couple a year.

Yes it is ironic that i barrack for Coburg Tigers,i would barack for Turkmenistan if they were apart of the Tigers.

In my opinion they need to bring back the AFL Reserves Comp.

If they did, you could create a superleague with all other clubs involving all metro local clubs. Could also include some country clubs.
Run it pretty much the way soccer runs there divisions.

Have a Premier Division (Start of with the VFL Clubs plus a couple of others)
Div 1
Div 2
then below that have divisions in regions (for example)
Div 1 East, Div 1 West
Div 2 East, Div 2 West
Div 3 East, Div 3 West
Div 4 East, Div 4 West
Etc...

& have promotion/relegation.

Would probably be hard to get off the ground, but would certainly create some interest if started.
Won't happen but thought i'd throw it out there.

Hey museli it doesn't matter if i don't like it, it doesn't matter if it never comes about, at least you have an idea about it, thats why they have forums for people like us to have an opinion.

And any way i like your idea, needs work but it's very interesting.
The only thing hard about getting that off the ground is that there is
22 Divisions and 7 leagues too deal with, not counting the VFL or the TAC Cup with all those big heads to deal with some one is going to a have a decent migrane.

Hey museli it doesn't matter if i don't like it, it doesn't matter if it never comes about, at least you have an idea about it, thats why they have forums for people like us to have an opinion.

And any way i like your idea, needs work but it's very interesting.
The only thing hard about getting that off the ground is that there is
22 Divisions and 7 leagues too deal with, not counting the VFL or the TAC Cup with all those big heads to deal with some one is going to a have a decent migrane.
True, would be hard dealing with 7 different leagues. Also have the hassle of grading clubs, which i'm sure would be fun....

Tha main thing they need to do is they need to get the AFL Reserves there own competiton again.

Even if they combined some of the better divisions, ie All metropolitan Div1's that would be 6 Divisions, plus the VFL state league would make it 7.

The VFL ... stuffing up Victorian footy since 1995!

How dare AFL Victoria and their predecessors claim that the VFL (Reserves football) is an equivalent of the VFA.

Something has to be done to stop those who forced the VFA to fold to say they are continuing on the VFA name!

The VFL as it is now started play in 1996 not 1877 - Prahran, Geelong West, Caulfield, etc. never played in the VFL but I have seen documentation and yearbooks from the VFL saying they did?!?!?

... an insult to our Sunday tradition of old!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back