2nds New VFL recruits

Remove this Banner Ad

Cats strengthen VFL side.
Geelong's VFL unit has acquired former Sydney Swans first round draft pick Dan O’Keefe and ex-Cat rookie Bryn Weadon for the 2010 season.
Good move by the club, given we were looking at putting both on the rookie list. They'll remain within the system and will be able to demonstrate to the coaches week in, week out what they're capable of; it's extremely unlikely they'd have played seniors anyway, so we haven't lost much by not actually rookieing them.

Re: New VFL recruits.

Agreed jester, and it also gives good depth to the VFL side which helps us have a better chance of winning games and making finals (even if we have injuries) which I think can only be good for the AFL side if the VFL side is also still going come September time.

given that we've pulled Egan, Mumford, Davenport and now Podsiadly and Johnson out of the VFL, I think it stands to reason that Geelong's VFL list is now seen as another legitimate avenue to getting another shot at AFL. If you're good enough, we'll rookie/promote you. So for O'Keefe and Weadon there's always a chance. I would expect, in the next couple of seasons, a major influx of players trying to get into the VFL team who might be borderline AFL ability. Whether we look at them or not, either way the VFL team will benefit.

Looking forward to seeing how Dan O'Keefe fares at VFL level. Wouldn't have been unhappy had he been drafted or rookie listed so being part of our VFL team is the next best thing. With a couple of thin drafts ahead it's guys like him that will be looked at closely if they can have an impact in the next 12 months.

With you all the way on Dan O'Keefe. He was my selection for being picked in the latest draft, so I feel a little vindicated by this latest news. If this guy can get it together, we will see more of him in the future. He can play....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back