Test Rugby New Wallabies Coach - Joe Schmidt

Remove this Banner Ad

joey_jo_jo

All Australian
Jun 25, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon
Wallabies finally have a new coach in Joe Schmidt after the annus horribilis that was 2023.
He was in my top 3 candidates along with Ronan O'gara and Jake White but looks like he was the only one of those three who actually applied.
Im very happy we avoided the temptation to go with an unproven (at international level) aus coach in Larkham or McKellar.

I know a new coach wont solve all of Aus rugby's issues but this appointment along with the addition of Horne as Director of Performance and getting Nucifora back in as a consultant hint at a more methodological and holistic approach rather than the top down/haphazard approach that occurred under Mclennan.
Nucifora and Schmidt were the two of the key men in getting Ireland to where they are now and Horne has been heavily involved in World Rugby over the last few years so hopefully they can have similar success in Aus.
My only worry is that it will be slow process to get the wallabies back to a competetive level and it wont be long till the North Shore types, News Corp journos and ex Wallabies in the media start carping about getting an Aussie coach in to play the "Australian Way". That dickhead Greg Martin is already whingeing about picking an NZ'er over "world cup winner" Steve Larkham :rolleyes:

Anyway heres some good articles on what to expect from the Wallabies under Schmidt.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back