Official Club Stuff New Western Bulldogs Chief Executive Officer - David Stevenson

Remove this Banner Ad

Just came to say bloody good appointment! You guys have really turned it around with this appointment and what you've done in the last 6 months.
Reminds me a bit of what the Cats were going through and then did in the 2000's good luck guys! :thumbsu:

Well, everyone gets promoted to their level of incompetence. Let's hope dogs CEO doesn't turn out to be Stevo's level of incompetence. By God he's got a job on his hands...

Maybe in your world, but that's not my experience. The Peter Principle is not an immutable rule.

Last edited:

Just because you mentioned it, I'm a corporate lawyer and insolvency is one of my major practices, so I deal with liquidations and corporate governance every day.

I accept your point that selling games interstate isn't in (Victorian) fans' best interests and I hope that we can avoid that. I do take a lot of comfort from the fact he doesn't come from a non-sporting background - Nike is arguably the biggest "sporting" corporation in the world.
Good to know. The general consensus seems to be that this is a great appointment so I hope all the positivity is on the money.
I'm probably letting my personal opinions and preconceptions skew my judgement on the matter a little.

If David can achieve the things that he has set out for himself I will be overjoyed with the appointment.

Very humble fella you are.
Sorry, can't tell if this is sarcastic or not, but I am neither being humble or facetious - I legitimately don't know a thing about corporate governance.

I'm one of the first to acknowledge that I like most BF posters I am opperating on zero genuine information when it comes to matters surrounding our football club, but it shouldn't stop us sharing our thoughts. There would be no Big Footy otherwise.

For what it's worth, David Stevenson is just about the most impressive, genuine person I have ever met. And if he's a 'non-football person', I'd say that makes someone like Gillon McLachlan, or pretty much anyone that posts on Big Footy a 'non-football person'.

Ballsy appointment. A CEO is not a football appointment, though it is good he does have a feel for the games as the football business is a different sector of the economy unique to southern Australia
NSW is in southern Australia (being further south than South Australia). Do you include NRL administration in this?

I'm pretty happy with what he looks like he will bring to the table in terms of sales and marketing experience - an area which I think we could use some revamping. Not sure he has much experience in and around sporting clubs.
Bloke has won two best and fairests for his local footy club.
It's not like he knows nothing about how footy is run.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Notice you had a cameo role in the new CEO's introductory video. Could he be reaching out to the BF community through its most recognisable face....
if i helped out, Prudden would play every fay with a ten year contract haha

I like this appointment. I'm happy to say straight away that I am quite optimistic when it comes to changes at the club however it looks like Dave has set the bar high in terms of where he wants the club to go and what he wants to achieve here. If he can achieve what he's setting out to do then this football club will be somewhere it hasn't been before. If not, it's same same and we try again. It's good to see the club reach a point where it has been decided in this day and age we can really try and stand up to these bigger clubs and this appointment to me suggests the time is now. We're giving it a red hot crack. Not accepting mediocrity. That's all I can really take out of this at the moment and it's what us as a supporter group expect.

I am quite interested in seeing what is implemented by David, coming from the marketing department at such a major organisation. He'd know a thing or two about promoting or image so it'll be good to see the new ways of doing this. Which untried methods will he explore to increase our fan base? How are we going to break the barrier from being a small club to one that is helping the small clubs out? Where will he find this money? All things I'm interested in seeing under David Stevenson. Hopefully he can power us in to that to 8 bracket as far as membership and revenue goes.

Thanks for insight, what impresses you most about him?

If that's directed at me, I know/knew him pretty well personally and I'd like to think he's a friend. But he's the sort of person who, despite obviously having a lot on his plate career-wise from a relatively young age, has always made time for people and he has a way of making you feel like you're his best friend, even if you've just bumped into him for the first time in a few years. He's the guy that makes sure the new players on the track are made to feel welcome and the guy who remembers everyone's name on the track, even if it's a bloke who turned up for two sessions in November and wasn't heard from again for twelve months.

I've seen more than enough examples of him going well above and beyond to do others a good turn to know that's just the sort of person he is. Plus, he is tough as nails on the sporting field and an extremely competitive person in general. He quite clearly is no stranger to the game of football and it just staggers me that some people seem to think that it's more important to have a couple of years on an AFL list next to your name, instead of spending those same years as an executive at the biggest sporting brand in the world. Is Brian Cook an outstanding CEO because of his time playing in the VFA/VFL/WAFL or because of his academic and professional qualifications? I'd suggest it's the latter.

If that's directed at me, I know/knew him pretty well personally and I'd like to think he's a friend. But he's the sort of person who, despite obviously having a lot on his plate career-wise from a relatively young age, has always made time for people and he has a way of making you feel like you're his best friend, even if you've just bumped into him for the first time in a few years. He's the guy that makes sure the new players on the track are made to feel welcome and the guy who remembers everyone's name on the track, even if it's a bloke who turned up for two sessions in November and wasn't heard from again for twelve months.

I've seen more than enough examples of him going well above and beyond to do others a good turn to know that's just the sort of person he is. Plus, he is tough as nails on the sporting field and an extremely competitive person in general. He quite clearly is no stranger to the game of football and it just staggers me that some people seem to think that it's more important to have a couple of years on an AFL list next to your name, instead of spending those same years as an executive at the biggest sporting brand in the world. Is Brian Cook an outstanding CEO because of his time playing in the VFA/VFL/WAFL or because of his academic and professional qualifications? I'd suggest it's the latter.

Mate lovely feedback and I'm happy with appointment. But to be fair he has little or no background in sports administration, let alone AFL. So its not about being an AFL player as such for me more about managing sporting clubs. So in this sense he is a cleanskin and a risk.

Yep he will have worked with sporting clubs in his Nike role, but life's easier when sporting clubs are trying to get money out of you.

Mate lovely feedback and I'm happy with appointment. But to be fair he has little or no background in sports administration, let alone AFL. So its not about being an AFL player as such for me more about managing sporting clubs. So in this sense he is a cleanskin and a risk.

Yep he will have worked with sporting clubs in his Nike role, but life's easier when sporting clubs are trying to get money out of you.

Sure. And that explains Peter Gordon's comments about it being a more risky appointment than perhaps some of the other candidates were. He'll be on a steep learning curve, but I think when it comes right down to it, the principles are quite similar to what he's been doing previously. As long as he has good footy people heading up the relevant departments, he'll be fine to oversee the operations of the club.

Sure. And that explains Peter Gordon's comments about it being a more risky appointment than perhaps some of the other candidates were. He'll be on a steep learning curve, but I think when it comes right down to it, I think the principles are quite similar to what he's been doing previously. As long as he has good footy people heading up the relevant departments, he'll be fine to oversee the operations of the club.

I agree to a degree, but that's a problem for us. Our Football Manager is no Neil Balme.

I agree to a degree, but that's a problem for us. Our Football Manager is no Neil Balme.

It's probably something to look at in the next offseason. I reckon October-February is largely the period where the foundations are set, from an administration perspective, for the upcoming season. So, he'll get a good lead-in before having to make too many big decisions, particularly if the Dogs continue to play reasonably good footy over the next 4-5 months.

Them killer eyes though.
Ya know the second I saw that/this picture
DavidStevensonPortrait_320px.jpg

I thought of this picture and those hypnotic Atherstone ads

gdIxu.png

But back to
DavidStevensonPortrait_320px.jpg

I swear someone looking just like him knocked on my door the other. Was carrying a book of some sort and seemed keen to chat....

What does the ceo do exactly? How did garlick get scolded for our offseason if he was in charge of profits? Genuine question.

Ultimately responsible for managing staff, how did that go??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back