News New Western Bulldogs logo?

VJyls.jpg
I prefer this version of the Footscray Bulldogs.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
Adding the back legs would make it look far, far too crowded and messy. The Bulldog isn't perfect but the layout is fine.

I don't like the text being curved around the shield in some mockups here either, it looks better straight and bold.

La Vache

Premiership Player
Aug 4, 2005
Melb
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
flyers, suns
Adding the back legs would make it look far, far too crowded and messy. The Bulldog isn't perfect but the layout is fine.

I don't like the text being curved around the shield in some mockups here either, it looks better straight and bold.

Doesn't even need the back legs, just to look like it actually has a body.

LeeARM

Premiership Player
May 11, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
I don't think the dog necessarily needs back legs but it does need to stop floating above the shield if it does only have 2 legs. A problem which lmach fixed, along with a few others.
They could also just cut out the legs all together and just use the head which might look a bit more normal.
Hopefully they've made some improvements since it was released 2 years ago. It looks so disjointed and unfinished.

Lighthouse End

Barracouta For Life
Jul 29, 2014
Hallett Cove, SA physically. Queenscliff mentally.
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Queenscliff (ex player 77-84,94-97)
Like how they've integrated the new jumper design into the logo, but I'm really not sure about the actual bulldog they've used. Bout a 6 out of 10 from me.
I wonder if anyone else might have noted or commented on this - their 'new ' jumper design?? They nicked this design from Queenscliff. Except they made the collar and cuffs royal blue. ANd didn't they also wear this design in the 50s and 60s as well?

Apr 23, 2012
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Sydney Swans, St Kilda Saints
I wonder if anyone else might have noted or commented on this - their 'new ' jumper design?? They nicked this design from Queenscliff. Except they made the collar and cuffs royal blue. ANd didn't they also wear this design in the 50s and 60s as well?
It is an old design that they've brought back- hence their new (as in updated) design. Also, designs aren't stolen or copied as such, rather, they are re used. You could say Essendon and Richmond stole from the other, but we don't. There are huge amounts of clubs that have the same designs, but we don't say the junior club stole Essendons jumper. Plus, if the Bulldogs wore it in the 50s and 60s, then I'm pretty sure that Queenscliff stole (for lack of a better term) it from them, not the other way around.

TheHoneyBadger

"I lost my phone"
10k Posts Western Bulldogs - Cordy, Honeychurch, Prudden, Dale Player Sponsor 2015
Sep 17, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Nicked it from Queenscliff? :p

Wore it for over 70 years in the VFA/VFL, adopting it for the first time in 1901.

Lighthouse End

Barracouta For Life
Jul 29, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
It is an old design that they've brought back- hence their new (as in updated) design. Also, designs aren't stolen or copied as such, rather, they are re used. You could say Essendon and Richmond stole from the other, but we don't. There are huge amounts of clubs that have the same designs, but we don't say the junior club stole Essendons jumper. Plus, if the Bulldogs wore it in the 50s and 60s, then I'm pretty sure that Queenscliff stole (for lack of a better term) it from them, not the other way around.
Maybe it was Brendan McCartney's idea, as homage to the club and guernsey that gave him numerous headaches when he was coaching Ocean Grove? Have the Bulldogs changed their theme song to ' Sons Of The Sea ' as well?? :)

Plus, if the Bulldogs wore it in the 50s and 60s, then I'm pretty sure that Queenscliff stole (for lack of a better term) it from them, not the other way around.
Queenscliff have been around since 1884.

Gibbsy

Cakewalk
Oct 12, 2009
Geetroit
AFL Club
Collingwood
Haha Queenscliff haven't worn that jumper for longer than Footscray, not that I'm aware of. I'm pretty sure up until the end of 2007 the Coutas wore a vertically striped red white and blue jumper

Lighthouse End

Barracouta For Life
Jul 29, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Haha Queenscliff haven't worn that jumper for longer than Footscray, not that I'm aware of. I'm pretty sure up until the end of 2007 the Coutas wore a vertically striped red white and blue jumper
That was a clash Guernsey for matches against Portarlington , who wear Melbourne's traditional red and blue Guernsey. They also experimented for a time in the mid 80s with Footscray's vertical band design of that era and that is still the design on the club's merchandising Rugby tops except the blue is more of a navy than a royal.

Gibbsy

Cakewalk
Oct 12, 2009
Geetroit
AFL Club
Collingwood
That was a clash Guernsey for matches against Portarlington , who wear Melbourne's traditional red and blue Guernsey. They also experimented for a time in the mid 80s with Footscray's vertical band design of that era and that is still the design on the club's merchandising Rugby tops except the blue is more of a navy than a royal.

Interesting, I guess the clash guernsey hasn't been needed since Port reverted to the navy blue

Although the Queenscliff/Barwon Heads jumper clash isn't great

Lighthouse End

Barracouta For Life
Jul 29, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Interesting, I guess the clash guernsey hasn't been needed since Port reverted to the navy blue

Although the Queenscliff/Barwon Heads jumper clash isn't great
No, it is pretty hard on the eye..was one of the two games I made it back for this season and once the ball was at the Crows Nest end ( I was behind the goals at the Ocean View carpark or lighthouse end ) it was hard to distinguish between them. Actually the ' Macleans gelstripe ' guensey was quite a striking one, I would like to see them adopt it for more games. Similarly I would actually like to see them totally break with tradition and adopt Port Adelaide's colours of black white, silver and teal as these would be quite symbolic for Queenscliff, black and white for the lighthouses, and teal for the sea. And of course, a silver ' Barracouta ' on the front.
Also I correct my above post where I refer to ' vertical band ' , I was referring to Footscray's horizontal one red and two white bands across the centre.

Last edited:
No, it is pretty hard on the eye..was one of the two games I made it back for this season and once the ball was at the Crows Nest end ( I was behind the goals at the Ocean View carpark or lighthouse end ) it was hard to distinguish between them. Actually the ' Macleans gelstripe ' guensey was quite a striking one, I would like to see them adopt it for more games. Similarly I would actually like to see them totally break with tradition and adopt Port Adelaide's colours of black white, silver and teal as these would be quite symbolic for Queenscliff, black and white for the lighthouses, and teal for the sea. And of course, a silver ' Barracouta ' on the front.
Also I correct my above post where I refer to ' vertical band ' , I was referring to Footscray's horizontal one red and two white bands across the centre.
Are you the Queenscliff version of Roylion?

Last edited:
Back