Strategy New year, new or shared role..

Feb 13, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Happy New year to you all!
I have been thinking about the continued evolution of the team and how rather than individual players, I was thinking about positional rotation.
My first wonder/thought is De Goo and the Bear swapping during the course of a game. If the Bear could go forward, he matches the Goo in height/weight and pace, so if he could watch some highlights we could have 2 for the price!
I reckon Sidebum and WHE could easily swap from wing to half forward. Keep the opposition guessing and wear them out!
Lastly I reckon the Son of the Torpedo will be a revelation this year. The blades of grass at Victory Park have foretold a duel Renaissance of Daicos...

Pragmatic Shill

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 2, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Maynard has been mooted for midfield stint for the past couple of years now, however injuries always get in the way of this occurring.

We saw during the semi how effectively he locked down Toby Greene. I think it's time to give Maynard some midfield minutes, and now that Greenwood is entering the twilight of his career, I think Maynard should be developed as our next tagger.

Ultimately this would allow Quaynor or Appleby to develop into the small lockdown defender role Maynard currently occupies.

Last edited:
Sier is a developing kid. Expecting him to produce anything like De Goey does up forward is unrealistic.
If we can get Elliott on the park it will allow DeGoey some midfield time. Beams will go forward at times as well.
Sier is a mid & we need to allow him to settle into that role.

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
I wouldn't mess with the defence. They need to be settled and combine. The forward and midfield rotations could be awesome. De Goey and Beams. Sidebottom and WHE. Treloar and Elliott. Grundy and Cox (that ruck rule should gift us some goals I hope this year). Plenty of positional flexibility through midfield and forward to take advantage of mismatches that happen.

Pragmatic Shill

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 2, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
I wouldn't mess with the defence. They need to be settled and combine. The forward and midfield rotations could be awesome. De Goey and Beams. Sidebottom and WHE. Treloar and Elliott. Grundy and Cox (that ruck rule should gift us some goals I hope this year). Plenty of positional flexibility through midfield and forward to take advantage of mismatches that happen.
If a long-term plan is to have Maynard be a midfielder, or at least be capable of rotating to the midfield, then he will need to get those minutes at some point. Adding in a tagging capability makes sense in the face of Greenwood's retirement/delisting within the next couple of years.

Also, everyone is on board with Moore becoming CHB, but he's hardly had the opportunity to "settle" there.

The modern game is all about having players add strings to their bow.

Pragmatic Shill

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 2, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Sier is a developing kid. Expecting him to produce anything like De Goey does up forward is unrealistic.
If we can get Elliott on the park it will allow DeGoey some midfield time. Beams will go forward at times as well.
Sier is a mid & we need to allow him to settle into that role.
Agreed. Any potential development beyond being a pure midfielder will come down the track, he's only played 12 senior games.

He's already said in the focus piece AFL.com.au wrote about him that his aim for 2019 is to build his tank more so than anything else.

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
If a long-term plan is to have Maynard be a midfielder, or at least be capable of rotating to the midfield, then he will need to get those minutes at some point. Adding in a tagging capability makes sense in the face of Greenwood's retirement/delisting within the next couple of years.

Also, everyone is on board with Moore becoming CHB, but he's hardly had the opportunity to "settle" there.

The modern game is all about having players add strings to their bow.

I don't mind the idea of using Maynard as a tagger. I just reckon if you go there you need to commit to it. Full time gig or nothing. I don't like messing with defensive cohesion.

Club Legend
Apr 17, 2006
Collingwood
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
The Mighty Mongooses
I don't mind the idea of using Maynard as a tagger. I just reckon if you go there you need to commit to it. Full time gig or nothing. I don't like messing with defensive cohesion.

For me ... only rotating taggers should be Levi, Aish and Mayne.

Jelly Bean

Premiership Player
Dec 12, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
I've been thinking about a new use for Jeremy Howe. Don't get me wrong, I know he is possibly the best defender in our team, and unlucky not to be AA on a back flank the last two years, but I don't like him at CHB (nullifies his marking advantage), and think we have some other options that can cover the flanks (Langdon, Shaz, Maynard, Quaynor, Crisp, etc), especially with Moore and Dunn holding the key positions.

Imagine Howe at CHF as a super mobile leading target who can take the odd pack mark (by sitting on top of it). Also a very good kick for goal and to a lead. With a super midfield you can put more strength forward. Imagine the mobility, skill, and marking power of a forward line that is:
HF: Hoskin Elliott, Howe, Stephenson
F: Elliott, Cox, De Goey

The backline without him can be:
B: Langdon, Dunn, Maynard (or Quaynor)
HB: Scharenberg, Moore, Crisp

I know this will never happen...

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
We’ve got a good thing going in JDG forward and given his finals series I’ll back him in to kick 60 this year if he plays 22+ games!

The four I’d look at throwing around are Stephenson, Murphy, Daicos and Brown. The first two both bring skill sets that could add something different at the other end of the ground, but I don’t think we’ll see them shift.

The latter two need to find a niche because both are a fair way off best 22 mids and don’t have the tricks to be best 22 forwards v WHE, Elliott, JT, JDG and Stephenson so they’re relying on injuries ATM. Both had a few cracks at it in 2018 and will receive more in 2019 given our injury profile, but despite some glimpses neither has had what I’d consider a standout game for guys of their age and experience.

For instance both Sier and Stephenson did just that in 2018 and have swept by them. If IQ or Murphy do that in 2019 it’s a great sign for the club, but an issue for Daicos and Brown.

FWIW I’m most concerned for Brown because he lacks size, isn’t quick, doesn’t have a huge tank, his ball use is average and isn’t overly competitive. There’s a role for guys with athletic profiles like that if they find the ball ala Mitchell, Neale or Murphy, but Brown is a long way from getting the midfield minutes he needs to do that. A shift down back like Sinner could allow him to find his way, IMO.

Last edited:

Pragmatic Shill

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 2, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
We’ve got a good thing going in JDG forward and given his finals series I’ll back him in to kick 60 this year if he plays 22+ games!

The four I’d look at throwing around are Stephenson, Murphy, Daicos and Brown. The first two both bring skill sets that could add something different at the other end of the ground, but I don’t think we’ll see them shift.

The latter two need to find a niche because both are a fair way off best 22 mids and don’t have the tricks to be best 22 forwards v WHE, Elliott, JT, JDG and Stephenson so they’re relying on injuries ATM. Both had a few cracks at it in 2018 and will receive more in 2019 given our injury profile, but despite some glimpses neither has had what I’d consider a standout game for guys of their age and experience.

For instance both Sier and Stephenson did just that in 2018 and have swept by them. If IQ or Murphy do that in 2019 it’s a great sign for the club, but an issue for Daicos and Brown.

FWIW I’m most concerned for Brown because he lacks size, isn’t quick, doesn’t have a huge tank, his ball use is average and isn’t overly competitive. There’s a role for guys with athletic profiles like that if they find the ball ala Mitchell, Neale or Murphy, but Brown is a long way from getting the midfield minutes he needs to do that. A shift down back like Sinner could allow him to find his way, IMO.
Daicos won me over during the North game in 2018. Played decently well but more a character thing I'm referring to.

Had the flu, yet was the holdover emergency for some reason. Moore is a late out with 15 minutes before the start of the game, Daicos has to run out. As I said, played okay. Bucks says in the post-match that even though he only had 15 minutes notice, and had the flu, he corrected everything about his game that was given as a reason by the Match Committee for being dropped.

You can't teach that kind of character. Might not ever make it as best 22 but would be madness to ever get rid of someone like that from the list.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Happy New year to you all!
I have been thinking about the continued evolution of the team and how rather than individual players, I was thinking about positional rotation.
My first wonder/thought is De Goo and the Bear swapping during the course of a game. If the Bear could go forward, he matches the Goo in height/weight and pace, so if he could watch some highlights we could have 2 for the price!
I reckon Sidebum and WHE could easily swap from wing to half forward. Keep the opposition guessing and wear them out!
Lastly I reckon the Son of the Torpedo will be a revelation this year. The blades of grass at Victory Park have foretold a duel Renaissance of Daicos...

De Goey spent time as a Medium forward as a junior, he's always been a natural forward who spent time in the midfield, plus he is a brilliant mark. There's nothing to suggest Sier could be a successful forward. Sidebottom and WHE already swap between wing and half forward?

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
Daicos won me over during the North game in 2018. Played decently well but more a character thing I'm referring to.

Had the flu, yet was the holdover emergency for some reason. Moore is a late out with 15 minutes before the start of the game, Daicos has to run out. As I said, played okay. Bucks says in the post-match that even though he only had 15 minutes notice, and had the flu, he corrected everything about his game that was given as a reason by the Match Committee for being dropped.

You can't teach that kind of character. Might not ever make it as best 22 but would be madness to ever get rid of someone like that from the list.

You mean like Tony Armstrong who once played 8 quarters in a day? Or does your mandate only apply to sons of guns?..

swoop42

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2014
The 18
AFL Club
Collingwood
With the emergence of Sier and recruitment of Beams I imagine we will back ourselves to win the midfield battle and our use of a defensive tagger in 2019 will be very limited if indeed needed at all.

Someone has to make way for Beams, the possible return to fitness of an A grade talent like Elliott and emergence of another youngster or two in 2019 so the role of a defensive midfielder seems the most logical area an omission will come from.

Feb 13, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Improvement from the list. We saw that this year, but there is still more to come.
The Bear is pretty much a rookie. His scope for Improvement is huge. I have no evidence that he can/could play forward, it is just a juicy scenario it it could work!
Stephenson was incredible in his 1st year, but again he will improve!
WHE seemed to be playing injured in the last 3rd of the year (I think he had a few mates doing the same). A fully fit WHE will improve the team.
Billy E ... fingers crossed for his hamstrings as we all know what he can bring.
Daicos, Brown, Mihoceck, Cox and I even reckon Grundy can improve...
The unknown at Alf level qualities of Quaynor, Atu, Kelly and the Irish boys... they will keep our VFL side humming and hopefully keep pressure on the senior team for spots...
JLT now please!!!

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
The mandate does not only apply to sons of guns, and I'm not really sure what I said to make you assume that.

Cheers. I thought I made that clear, apologies.

Armstrong went over and beyond Daicos’ Herculean effort by playing 8 quarters in a day. A little over 12 months later he was delisted and based on your comment that should never have happened.

I have to assume you were up in arms when he was cut? Otherwise where’s the consistency.

Pragmatic Shill

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 2, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Cheers. I thought I made that clear, apologies.

Armstrong went over and beyond Daicos’ Herculean effort by playing 8 quarters in a day. A little over 12 months later he was delisted and based on your comment that should never have happened.

I have to assume you were up in arms when he was cut? Otherwise where’s the consistency.
He (along with Moore (inj) and C Brown (omitted) was an out in Round 21 for De Goey, Oxley and Aish. Moore was the only forced out and De Goey the only one that really needed to come in.

So yes, a little disappointed.

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
He (along with Moore (inj) and C Brown (omitted) was an out in Round 21 for De Goey, Oxley and Aish. Moore was the only forced out and De Goey the only one that really needed to come in.

So yes, a little disappointed.

This is gold cheers!

Back