Strategy New year, new or shared role..

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah serious! We’ve taken two completely different paths and I genuinely can’t figure out how you lost your way, but it’s pretty entertaining. Either way I’m out :thumbsu:
Oh, I get you now, I misread your original comment or was not paying close attention to it.

Regarding Armstrong, yeah I think it's a little stiff for him to have been delisted - when he was delisted completely he was on the rookie list and I'm not really sure why he couldn't have gotten an extension over another rookie we picked up in Tim Golds.

There will always be plenty of surprises, and you need to change and improve.

I like Maynard and Crisp as our running HB options, for mine have a bit of H.Shaw & Benny Johnson about them.

I hope the surprise is we get 20 games from Moore, Elliott and Beams.

Greenwood and Mayne are both nearing the end of their careers and I don't know what about Aish screams tagger to you.

Not sure what Greenwood and Mayne near the end of their careers has got to do with the price of fish? Both are listed. Greeny has tagged before and he'll do it again when required. Mayne has proved being on the wing his engine is good and he can tackle .... his ability to find short kick options has been his biggest asset so with Beamsy back, Sidey might get more wing time ala Mayne could tag if required. Just my thoughts. I believe Mayne was in trials for quick kick out too with the new rule coming in.

re: Aish. well he has to do something extra and arguably given given his original draft number pick he probably should have more of an impact. I'm actually a fan so it's not a dis. In the end of year highlights reel there was more than enough very strong attacks by Aish which just made me think he could serve another role if need be.

I wouldn't mess with the defence. They need to be settled and combine. The forward and midfield rotations could be awesome. De Goey and Beams. Sidebottom and WHE. Treloar and Elliott. Grundy and Cox (that ruck rule should gift us some goals I hope this year). Plenty of positional flexibility through midfield and forward to take advantage of mismatches that happen.

and not get Injuries

Aish for me has a fear of failure. He plays too safe trying to do everything right. Needs to find that instinct that he had in his junior days and take those calculated risks.

Aish for me has a fear of failure. He plays too safe trying to do everything right. Needs to find that instinct that he had in his junior days and take those calculated risks.
It’s ironic because he has ****ed us over too often by trying to play safe.

I wouldn’t mind seeing Stevo on the wing, played a great game against Brisbane whilst in that position.
With his tank and speed it could be another good spot for him.

I wouldn’t mind seeing Stevo on the wing, played a great game against Brisbane whilst in that position.
With his tank and speed it could be another good spot for him.

You'd imagine WHE is the 1st cab off that rank if anyone is moving upfield. He had a fantastic year playing a lot more wing in 2017.

Maynard has been mooted for midfield stint for the past couple of years now, however injuries always get in the way of this occurring.

We saw during the semi how effectively he locked down Toby Greene. I think it's time to give Maynard some midfield minutes, and now that Greenwood is entering the twilight of his career, I think Maynard should be developed as our next tagger.

Ultimately this would allow Quaynor or Appleby to develop into the small lockdown defender role Maynard currently occupies.

It's been brought up a lot over the years, but I really don't like the idea of Maynard as a midfielder. He works great coming out of HB, or when he's an overlapping player getting a free run up the middle/wing when we're rebounding, but I think he would be exposed if made to consistently do this in a tight midfield contest. (The exact same thing that happened with Lumumba when he was moved up the wing).

Also, with so much midfield talent, we shouldn't really need a tagger in 2019. If any other midfield beats us, then it is either due to a big discrepancy at the ends of the field, or it comes down to pure 4Q effort. If we need shut down another mid, then we have enough versatility of options that any of those guys, with the right level of effort, should be able to play a disciplined "run-with" role, without needed a designated tagger.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back