Teams New York Giants - The G-Men

Remove this Banner Ad

Certainly wasn't the perfect start to the year - but I'm happy to hold judgement (no pun indented) for a little longer. A lot of those weapons that they bought it for Jones didn't have a smooth training camp/pre season, so might take a little bit for them to find their feet. I don't think the D will play any worse and will keep us in games.

In saying that, I don't think Jones is ever going to be 'the guy'. Best case he's a mid tier QB who is reliant on those around him being good. I don't think he'll ever be a top 10 QB in the league.

Kadarius Toney appears to vent frustration with Giants role

Posted by Josh Alper on September 17, 2021, 8:58 AM EDT

It looks like Kenny Golladay isn’t the only Giants wide receiver feeling frustrated about the way the season has started.

First-round pick Kadarius Toney played 19 snaps and never touched the ball in Thursday night’s 30-29 loss to the Washington Football Team.

Zach Rosenblatt of NJ.com noted that Toney had a conversation with head coach Joe Judge on the sideline in the third quarter and then “stormed off, visibly upset.” Toney would not return to the game and Rosenblatt quoted a source familiar with Toney’s thinking saying that there’s “no use in having a sports car and not driving it.”

Rosenblatt and other reporters also took note of a since-deleted post to his Instagram account after the game. It read “I don’t be mad, s–t just be lame to me.”

Toney missed time in the offseason with foot issues, tested positive for COVID before camp, and then dealt with a hamstring injury once camp opened, so he hasn’t logged a lot of time in the offense since being drafted at the end of April. That tempered most expectations for what he’d be able to do right out of the game, but it doesn’t appear to have done the same for Toney’s own view of his role.

Between Golladay’s venting on the sideline Thursday night and Toney’s apparent dissatisfaction, there will be plenty for the Giants to discuss heading into Week Three.

Daniel Jones: Kenny Golladay was frustrated with situation, not me in particular

Posted by Josh Alper on September 17, 2021, 6:27 AM EDT

After the Giants settled for Graham Gano‘s fifth field goal of the night in the fourth quarter of Thursday night’s loss to Washington, it looked like wide receiver Kenny Golladay was shouting at quarterback Daniel Jones on the sideline.

The Gano field goal came after a James Bradberry interception in Washington territory, but the Giants took a conservative offensive approach with two runs and a short incompletion to set up the kick. That made the score 29-27 and kept the door open for a game-winning field goal rather than forcing Washington to score a touchdown.

Golladay, who had three catches for 38 yards in the game, could be seen shouting at Jones, but the quarterback downplayed the personal nature of the situation after the game.
“I think he was frustrated with the situation. I don’t really think it was to me or anyone in particular,” Jones said, via Petter Botte of the New York Post. “So I think we’re all good. I love Kenny. I thought he played hard and we did a lot of good things out there. I’ve got to do a better job of finding him in some places. He was just frustrated, frustrated with the situation and we’ll be better from it. He plays hard and wants to win and wants to do the best for the team.”

Jones said he thinks Golladay’s desire for more passes thrown his way after a quiet start to his Giants tenure was “part of it.” Golladay’s fellow wideout Sterling Shepard said things were heated given the nature of the game and that players “say what you got to say and you move on” with love for your teammates.

It appears that’s what happened on Thursday night, but too many more outings like the first two for the Giants will make it unlikely to be the last time emotions boil over in a game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Daniel Jones named PFF's Offensive Player of the Week

Despite the last-second loss against Washington on Thursday, Daniel Jones put together one of the strongest overall performances of his young NFL career.

Jones completed 22 of 32 passes (68.8 percent) for 249 yards and a touchdown, finishing with a passer rating of 102.2. Jones also made a significant impact on the ground, rushing for a game-high 95 yards on nine carries, good for an average of 10.6 yards per carry, and an additional touchdown. The 95 rushing yards set a new career-high for Jones.

Following the full slate of games this weekend, Pro Football Focus released its Week 2 Team of the Week & Awards and named Jones the Offensive Player of the Week.

The 24-year-old led all quarterbacks in Week 2 in total completions on passes thrown 10+ yards downfield with 11. As PFF notes, Jones "also led the position in positively graded throws and recorded the week's lowest negatively graded throw rate."

The analytics site did not track the third-year quarterback for a single turnover-worthy play all game.

Jones earned an overall grade of 91.3, the highest grade of his career, which was aided by an elite 90.7 passing grade.

"Jones didn't let pressure disrupt the timing of the offense, standing tall in the pocket and delivering accurate throws," PFF's Anthony Treash writes.

"He also showed off the impact he can make in the running game with three runs of 10-plus yards, tying Lamar Jackson and Jalen Hurts for the most of the week."

Through the first two games of the season, Jones ranks sixth among all quarterbacks with an 83.8 overall grade. Even more impressive is his 85.4 passing grade, which ranks second in the NFL behind only Tom Brady (91.8). Jones is responsible for four touchdowns so far this season (two passing, two rushing) while registering just one turnover. He has 516 passing yards on a 63.8 completion percentage and is averaging 7.5 yards per attempt.

Jones has also registered 122 rushing yards on 15 carries (8.1 yards per attempt).

Nick Gates still in hospital, Joe Judge says leg injury could be career-ending

Posted by Josh Alper on September 23, 2021, 12:51 PM EDT

Giants offensive lineman Nick Gates went to a hospital near the Washington Football Team’s stadium after fracturing his leg in last Thursday’s game and he has set to return to New Jersey.

Head coach Joe Judge said that Gates remains in the hospital after having surgery last Friday and needs to have another procedure to address the injury. Judge said he’d “be lying if I said no” when asked if Gates’ career may be over as a result of the injury.

“We’re confident he’ll be able to come back, but yes, it could be career-ending,” Judge said, via Ralph Vacchiano of SNY.

Gates started at center in Week One and left guard in Week Two, so the Giants will be starting their third different offensive line combo in as many weeks when they face the Falcons this weekend.

Giants signed OT Isaiah Wilson to their practice squad.
Wilson was the 29th overall pick in last year's draft by the Titans but played just three snaps with the team after a couple stints on the COVID list and a DUI before he was traded to Miami for a seventh-round pick swap in March. Wilson lasted less than two weeks with the Dolphins. He was a first-round pick for a reason, but Wilson's career couldn't have gotten off to a worse start. It's a worthwhile flier for a talent-deficient Giants roster. Wilson is still just 22 years old.
SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
Sep 29, 2021, 1:15 PM ET

NFL: We have not identified an issue with Giants headsets on Monday night

Posted by Josh Alper on November 2, 2021, 2:22 PM EDT

After Monday night’s 20-17 loss to the Chiefs, Giants head coach Joe Judge was asked about burning timeouts early in the game and pointed to communications problems as the cause.

Judge said that “we had to call two timeouts today because we’re trying to send the deals in personnel-wise and we have half the headsets aren’t getting any reception.” He said that the team has had issues with the headsets in every game this season and that “the people involved with that had better get it fixed fast.”

Judge said he didn’t know if those people worked for the team or the league, but the NFL said in a statement that it has found no issues with the headsets that are used by the Giants and the other 31 teams in the league.

“We are looking into the matter with all involved parties; however, we are confident that nothing is attributable to the Bose headset,” the statement said. “We have not been able to identify an issue in last night’s game with the Giants’ communication system. We were not made aware of any issues during the game from the club through our standard communication channels that are used to identify gameday issues.”

Whatever the cause of the Giants’ communication issues, it’s something a 2-6 team doesn’t need to deal with on top of their on-field struggles so finding a solution should be a priority heading into this week’s game against the Raiders.

Sterling Shepard (quad strain) is expected to "miss some time".
The Giants play the Raiders in Week 9 and then go on bye, so it's possible Shepard's absence will only be for one game. The Giants face the Buccaneers in Week 11, in a matchup that would set up very well for Shepard if he's healthy. It's possible the Shepard's timeline puts that game well out of reach, however. Fantasy managers should have a fill-in option in place for at least the next two weeks. It's likely we see more of Kadarius Toney in the slot while Shepard is out, which should help the electric rookie rack up receptions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back