Club Legend
Sep 19, 2004
Sydney
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Brisbane Bluetongues
NY Jets

How far will Barton's balls fly after they're cut off and thrown up the field once he gets back to NY :confused: That tackle on Brees was just plain stupid, talk about snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

Tezmyster

Club Legend
Sep 19, 2004
Sydney
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Brisbane Bluetongues
Re: NY Jets

racehorse27 said:
Missed field goal for the chargers, can the jets save Barton's balls.
Bobbett is not required now, the knife can be put away, Barton's balls are offically safe :p

Dec 2, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
To The Knockers

Eric Barton very nearly entered the Jets hall of shame alongside Mark Gastinaeu but,

Stick that up ya!

two visits to SoCal for two wins!

Chad's shoulder has to hold up another week... and we need to tie up Lamont Jordan immediately before the fins get onto him, a future franchise rb for sure.

the NEW YORK JETS proceed to play-off match #18. We've suffered for years but, we'll savour this one.

Onto Foxboro or Pittsburgh....

Re: To The Knockers

I'm really starting to hate the Jets. Last week they gift the bloody Rams a win and this week . . . . well just let me say if I ever run into Doug Brien he'll need that helmet. :mad: I'm sure Keading still has his on if he hasn't escaped from the San Diego area.

But if there's anyone who should hate the Jets it's Marty Schottenheimer. This one's going to burn him for a long, long time.

JeffDunne said:
I'm really starting to hate the Jets. Last week they gift the bloody Rams a win and this week . . . . well just let me say if I ever run into Doug Brien he'll need that helmet. :mad: I'm sure Keading still has his on if he hasn't escaped from the San Diego area.

But if there's anyone who should hate the Jets it's Marty Schottenheimer. This one's going to burn him for a long, long time.

Relax JD. I know you feel shafted about New Orleans missing out but the fact that the Jets won double digit amount of games surely merits something. With the Rams being the only team in history not to have a winning record and make the play-offs is the bother...considering they have a shot at going on to represent the NFC. :eek:

In the meantime, the Falcons better be ready for Bulger & friends.

Woodson said:
Relax JD. I know you feel shafted about New Orleans missing out but the fact that the Jets won double digit amount of games surely merits something. With the Rams being the only team in history not to have a winning record and make the play-offs is the bother...considering they have a shot at going on to represent the NFC. :eek:

In the meantime, the Falcons better be ready for Bulger & friends.
I don't hate them because they're in the playoffs.

I hate them because the Rams are in. How on earth did the Jets lose that one? Then, they come out and beat the Chargers, who I have good $$$'s on. Now I'm really starting to worry about next week. You guessed it, I have $$$'s on your boys to take out the lot. Yes, this week, I really do hate the Jets. :mad:

And if that's not bad enough, I know have to watch a team that's in the playoffs for no other reason than the fricken Vickings couldn't avoid a 3 way tie (2 way head-to-head with the Rams and we'd be in). And then they come out and play like they did today??? Not happy!!!

Re: R U Ready for some SERIOUS STEELER FOOTBALL ??

JeffDunne said:
I have $$$'s on your boys to take out the lot. Yes, this week, I really do hate the Jets. :mad:

I wouldn't like to sound tooooo smug but I can't help but feel comfortable & have alot of faith in what Bill Cowher can accomplish now. We have a team that CAN score and a HUNGRY D that is capable of winning games as they did carry us for a fair few games already this campaign. I recall you saying 'no sweat' when I was getting abit worried a month ago....funny how things can turn around.

The Jets are like one of those HIGH n' MIGHTY Italian soccer teams... you can feel very confident in putting your hard earned on and suddenly then they DO THE BELLY FLOP and SCREW YOU !!! Don't worry, those prima donna's aren't worth sheet !! Just don't back them on the ROAD !!! I know the Jets are better than that and even I rated them a chance... losing to the Pats really let air out of themselves. The emotion and the sheer relief of getting past the Chargers plays right into PITTSBURGH's hands...the Chargers were no way physical enough...the crowd wasn't crazy or 'boo hoo' a factor and with the STEELERS on a fifth Home Field Play-off campaign under Cowher, do you think Cowher will allow his team to go thru the motions to edge out the Jets ??? Pffft !! No Way !! I expect the Steelers to DOMINATE from the get go !! Let me remind you that the build up to the New England and Philadelphia games were seen as ACID TESTS for Pittsburgh and the impressive way we DOMINATED those 'back to back' games against the odds mind you... we have HUNGRY PLAYERS ready to do finish the job and this week is just an appetiser for the MAIN FEAST !!!

Even if the opposition get off to a flying start...it's the second half momentum by Pittsburgh and the COMPLETE STEELER DOMINANCE that will eat the opposition ALIVE !! Those Jets won't know what hit them !!

Dec 2, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney

Woodson said:
I wouldn't like to sound tooooo smug but I can't help but feel comfortable & have alot of faith in what Bill Cowher can accomplish now. We have a team that CAN score and a HUNGRY D that is capable of winning games as they did carry us for a fair few games already this campaign. I recall you saying 'no sweat' when I was getting abit worried a month ago....funny how things can turn around.

The Jets are like one of those HIGH n' MIGHTY Italian soccer teams... you can feel very confident in putting your hard earned on and suddenly then they DO THE BELLY FLOP and SCREW YOU !!! Don't worry, those prima donna's aren't worth sheet !! Just don't back them on the ROAD !!! I know the Jets are better than that and even I rated them a chance... losing to the Pats really let air out of themselves. The emotion and the sheer relief of getting past the Chargers plays right into PITTSBURGH's hands...the Chargers were no way physical enough...the crowd wasn't crazy or 'boo hoo' a factor and with the STEELERS on a fifth Home Field Play-off campaign under Cowher, do you think Cowher will allow his team to go thru the motions to edge out the Jets ??? Pffft !! No Way !! I expect the Steelers to DOMINATE from the get go !! Let me remind you that the build up to the New England and Philadelphia games were seen as ACID TESTS for Pittsburgh and the impressive way we DOMINATED those 'back to back' games against the odds mind you... we have HUNGRY PLAYERS ready to do finish the job and this week is just an appetiser for the MAIN FEAST !!!

Even if the opposition get off to a flying start...it's the second half momentum by Pittsburgh and the COMPLETE STEELER DOMINANCE that will eat the opposition ALIVE !! Those Jets won't know what hit them !!

primadonnas?? i'm insulted. ;)

there was a massive buildup to the Patriots match in Wk 16. It was all over the NY media, an expectation that the JETS could finally make an impact on the AFC leaderboard. There was more pressure on them in the leadup for that match than for the divisional play-off this weekend. we've been to Pittsburgh this season and lost. i'm sure most steelers (including yourself) we're expecting to meet the chargers this weekend.

fwiw, the steelers should win it. they should take out the whole thing. but, last weekend's results is an indication that anything can happen in the play-offs.....

ooooiiiii, stop biting your fingernails!!!

:D :D

Dec 2, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney

from newyorkjets.com

Jets Headed Back to Pittsburgh

By Casey Pearce
As Jets head coach Herm Edwards made his way off the field following New York’s 17-6 loss to the Steelers in Week 14 of the regular season, he had a prophetic exchange with Pittsburgh boss Bill Cowher.

“It was kind of funny, because after the game I visited with Bill,” Edwards said. “He just said, ‘Well, we’ll probably see each other down the road.’ I just said, ‘I hope so.’ I guess we are going to see each other real soon.”

Listen to Coach Edwards’ 1/09 Press Conference, presented by Geico

With Indianapolis’ 49-24 win over the Denver Broncos Sunday afternoon, the AFC Divisional playoffs are set, and the Green & White will head to the Steel City next Saturday afternoon for a 4:30 kickoff.

“It’s a difficult match‑up. They’re a very, very good football team,” Edwards said during his Sunday press conference. “They’re 15‑1. They’ve won a lot of games, obviously. They’re the number one seed in the tournament, but we’re not going to lay down for them. We’re going to get ready to go battle.”

The Steelers entered the playoffs as perhaps the hottest team in the NFL. They haven’t lost a game since Week 2 of the regular season and boast the league’s best defense. Still, the Jets are confident in their ability to keep up with the AFC North Champions.

“Our guys feel that every time we play, whoever we played this year, we’ve always felt that if we play our game, I say that and knock on wood, we have a great chance of winning,” Edwards said. “We have to play smart, take care of the football, take the football away and avoid foolish fouls. If we do that, we can beat anybody.”

When the two teams met earlier this season, the Jets trailed by just four points late in the contest until Jerome Bettis’ halfback pass iced the victory with three minutes left.

“We played fairly well until the fourth quarter,” Edwards said. “Then they made some plays to win the game, and we weren’t able to match them.

As was the case in each of their six losses this season, the Jets were unable to overcome a series of self-inflicted wounds at Pittsburgh. They hope to avoid such miscues Sunday.

“It was a game for us that was a little bit odd for us,” Edwards said. “That was the game we had 12 penalties, and the second half we had none. We ended up second in the League in penalties. That was the one that really forced us to be second. I thought we were going to end up first again this year. But that was 12 fouls in the first half. I’ve never been involved in one like that.”

The Jets hope that fatigue does not play a factor this week. They won Saturday’s game despite having to play on a short week. Players returned from San Diego at approximately 8 a.m. Sunday morning but were given the entire day off. They’ll also be free to rest up Monday before beginning preparations for the Steelers on Tuesday.

“A lot of football’s been played by these guys,” Edwards said. “To travel to St. Louis and play an overtime game, then have a short week, go to the West Coast, play another overtime game, it takes a lot. It takes a lot of mental fortitude and guys believing in each other. I think our guys need some rest. They’re tired, coaches are tired, everyone’s a little exhausted right now. We’re going to rest up and be ready for a tough Steelers team Saturday.”

Injury Update
After being listed as probable throughout last week, defensive end John Abraham was not able to play Saturday evening. Edwards hopes to have him back this week.

“I expect him to practice again this week,” Edwards said. “It will be probably a game‑time decision again. Hopefully he’s getting better this week. He really was trying to play. He just felt he couldn’t do it, and that was probably best.”

Wide receiver Wayne Chrebet also sat out of Saturday’s win while still battling the after affects of a mild concussion suffered in the Week 17 loss to the Rams. He’s also listed as probable this week, as is linebacker and special teams ace Kenyatta Wright, who is battling an ankle injury.

“I would anticipate Wayne will be ready this week,” Edwards said. “That was more my call than Wayne’s. It’s just I didn’t feel good about it. You know, because I was dealing with the situation where Santana had a little bit of a hamstring. Wayne, you know, just had a slight concussion. We’re only six days out of his last concussion. You go into a game with Wayne up, Santana up, something should happen to Wayne, Santana goes down, we’re in the game with two receivers. Well, that hurts the football team, so you can’t do that.”

Wright was listed as questionable last week but played through pain and played a major role on the Jets’ special teams units.

travel and fatigue will be the killer against a fresh steelers outfit.

Re: Cowher Power

Good read that mcgarnacle.

I honestly thought the Jets were a strong chance against the Chargers based on a sturdy D. I just couldn't split them come game time and was hoping for a HARD PHYSICAL game but that didn't exactly materialise. Anyway, as you pointed out mcgarnacle, that the travel and fatigue will be the killer against a fresh steelers outfit would justify how I feel about feeling content about where the situation is atm. I still think the Jets along with Dallas :eek: and Jacksonville were very amazing wins. The Buffalo win was extra special also.
Nothing tops the way we handled the Pats and Eagles though but as everyone knows, it's play-off time and anything can happen....the Steelers have been there four times under Cowher and scrapped past the Colts to make it to the SB just once. Now, it's a different squad and the expectation still remains... the only pressure is if the Jets can actually take it up to Pittsburgh and maintain that effort to put the 'real time pressure' on... under the Steelers get in that 'real time pressure' situation, it's more about the Steelers coming out ready to do what they have been doing most of the campaign. Just to underline some of Bill Cowher's trademark remarks...'WE CONTROL THE TEMPO in this STADIUM !! :)

mcgarnacle said:
fwiw, the steelers should win it. they should take out the whole thing. but, last weekend's results is an indication that anything can happen in the play-offs.....

ooooiiiii, stop biting your fingernails!!!

:D

Fingernails are clean btw :D :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

bgs05

Debutant
Mar 26, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
jets.....

i gotta say the jets are stuffed. i dont know much about the daft but i know of the players they got rid of. just when we get a solid team we get rid of so many good players, and the free agencey pick ups?

dropped-
Anthony Becht, TE (an awesome player, has great size and skill)
Sam Cowart, LB (a solid defender, plays the game well)
Jason Ferguson, DT (one of our best defensive lineman, had a big future at nyj... guess not)
Toby Gowin, P (punter, who cares)
LaMont Jordan, RB (strong half back, we would need him when curtis retires)
Kareem McKenzie, OT (havnt seen much of him)
Santana Moss, WR (probaly our best wr, and a good punt returner ie-touchdown against steelers in playoffs)

pickups
Derrick Blaylock, RB (havnt seen play)
Jay Fiedler, QB (ok qb, his not gonna be good in future though)
Barry Gardner, LB (havnt seen play)
Lance Legree, DE (havnt seen play)

resigns
Chris Baker, TE (no replacement for becht)
Jonathan Carter, WR (nothing special)
Oliver Celestine, S (havnt seen play)
Josh Evans, DT (nothing special)
Jonathan Goodwin, G/C (nothing special)
Kenyatta Wright, LB (havnt seen play)
Dave Yovanovits, G (havnt seen play)

can someone tell me how we did in draft, and kinda explain our cons from the draft.

Dec 2, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
Re: jets.....

bgs05 said:
i gotta say the jets are stuffed. i dont know much about the daft but i know of the players they got rid of. just when we get a solid team we get rid of so many good players, and the free agencey pick ups?
an NFL organisation doesn't "get rid" of all their players. the concept of free agency means that it is inevitable that players will come and go.

- departures
Anthony Becht, TE (an awesome player, has great size and skill)
could not catch a pass if his life depended on it. an inflated asking price considering his performances since he was drafted as a 1st rd pick in 2000 - a good decision to let him go to the Buccs.

Sam Cowart, LB (a solid defender, plays the game well)
his injury early in the 2004 season gave last season's 1st round draft pick Jonathon Vilma the opportunity at MLB and he shined. Vilma was the NFL's defensive rookie of the year in 04. Cowart at 29 or Vilma at 23?? i'll take the young turk thank you. Unfortunately, Cowart wasn't prepared to warm the bench on the sidelines so off his gone to the Vikes.

Jason Ferguson, DT (one of our best defensive lineman, had a big future at nyj... guess not)
this departure is a big loss. could play nose tackle as well and has a great personality off the gridiron. the money and the opportunity to be reaqquainted with his old defensive coach in Dallas were the clinchers. i thought along the same lines as you, particularly after the great year our defense had last season. the jets had arguably the best d-line in the competition with J Abraham and Ellis at DE, and D-rob partnering Fergie in the middle.

Toby Gowin, P (punter, who cares)
punting is an important facet of the game. he was dreadful though and good riddance. we're currently working on developing Ben Graham to fill the void. Denver's Micah Knorr has also been given a contract so it will be a battle between these two for the active punter on the roster next year. Knorr will be the clear favourite. also, opportunity in the draft for a kicker to replace the out-of-favour Doug Brien with clear outstanding candidate Nugent a 3rd round prospect.

LaMont Jordan, RB (strong half back, we would need him when curtis retires)
his averages are impressive but, his contract was up and he wasn't prepared to warm the bench for another couple of seasons. whether Lamont would be as impressive as no. 1 RB is another matter. curtis is a future hall of famer and the rushing leader last season and we should get another couple of seasons out of him.

Kareem McKenzie, OT (havnt seen much of him)
was our best young offensive lineman, the Giants offered him a packet to head to Jersey. O=line will be a Jet priority in the draft.

Santana Moss, WR (probaly our best wr, and a good punt returner ie-touchdown against steelers in playoffs)
traded for Laveurne Coles who returns to the Jets after a stint with the Redskins. Apparently, Chad was the catalyst for this decision. He and Laveurne have had great success together in the past which he struggled to replicate with Santana. Although Moss is quicker and more of an asset on deep routes, LC runs more precise routes which Chad prefers. LC is older and has a chronic toe condition so I'm a bit wary of this deal. wasn't enough to fail the medical though.

- arrivals
Derrick Blaylock, RB (havnt seen play)
back-up for Priest Holmes at KC, his averages are greater than Jordan's and he has more attempted carries to his name as a 2nd RB. will be back-up the great one.

Jay Fiedler, QB (ok qb, his not gonna be good in future though)
purely back-up for Chad. Quincy Carter's future is still uncertain at the Jets as far as i know so he'll be 2nd string and Brooks Bollinger at no. 3.

Barry Gardner, LB (havnt seen play)
back up covering the departure of Cowart

Lance Legree, DE (havnt seen play)
former Giant, can also play DT as was hastily signed as cover for this position after the departure of Fergie to the Cowboys.

Chris Baker, TE (no replacement for becht)
depending on how the 1st rd of the draft transpires, could be a no. 2 again should Heath Miller still be around at 26 or the Jets trade for a higher pick. Miller is a fantastic prospect as a 'catching TE' (which was foreign to Becht) and is a good blocker. otherwise, Baker has received quite a rap from Edwards and the 'dinger' as being capable of starting at TE.

Josh Evans, DT (nothing special)
was injured early in the 2004 campaign but, is required due to the departure of Fergie

Jonathan Goodwin, G/C (nothing special)
coming along. we need to maintain our offensive-line stocks.

Kenyatta Wright, LB (havnt seen play)
purely a special teams specialist and a popular player with the Jets and fans alike.

Dave Yovanovits, G (havnt seen play), Jonathan Carter, WR (nothing special), Oliver Celestine, S (havent seen play)
quite frankly you need some guys who are going to make up the numbers, otherwise why would they remain as a 3rd string guard or 5th string WR etc.

can someone tell me how we did in draft, and kinda explain our cons from the draft.
begins early tomorrow morning. Jets have needs at TE, O-line, DB and DE - not necessarily in that order. important to monitor the John Abraham situation too. is yet to sign the tender designating him a Jets 'franchise' player. he is injury prone and has missed our last two post-season campaigns but, is an asset as a blind-side pass-rusher.

BTW, good to see another member of gangreen on the boards.

J-E-T-S! JETS! JETS! JETS!

bgs05

Debutant
Mar 26, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood

i understand the explanations of why these jets players had to leave. always contracts would cause players to go with new and better contracts being offered at other clubs. but i just hate it when a player leaves the jet family, you grow to love them, now i dread to the day when they line up against us.
thankf for the help.
GO J-E-T-S! JETS! JETS! JETS! (nice)

Hey Jets fan... I wouldnt panic too much your team still looks good. Blaylock is a worthy replacement for Jordan... who wanted the big money. You needed to draft a kicker as last year your kicker cost you a meeting with New England... Apparently the guy you got is pretty close to automatic. You also spent 3 picks on your secondary which should shore up your defense. There isnt much missing from your team... Vilma is a great player so Cowart was a waste of space I think (or that was the view held)

Go the Cowboys!!

bgs05

Debutant
Mar 26, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood

i couldnt stand brien, will never forgive him for not one but TWO! failed attempts to win the game. but this new kicker of ours, this nuggent (i think) so far im only hearing good things about him, some say possibly the new janikowski?

GO JETS!!!!!!!!!!

Dec 2, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney

bgs05 said:
i understand the explanations of why these jets players had to leave. always contracts would cause players to go with new and better contracts being offered at other clubs. but i just hate it when a player leaves the jet family, you grow to love them, now i dread to the day when they line up against us.
thankf for the help.
no worries.

changes need to be made. if the comp wasn't won with the exisiting players, improvements need to be made.

bgs05 said:
J-E-T-S! JETS! JETS! JETS! (nice)
that's the chant!

Jimmy

Club Legend
Jan 20, 2004
7th ave
Other Teams
1 and only Sturt
IM going to the Jets game tomorrow

First NFL game...im pumped...should be an awesome experience....anyone else here seen a game live?

May 25, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Denver Broncos, Storm, Pompey
Re: IM going to the Jets game tomorrow

Jimmy said:
First NFL game...im pumped...should be an awesome experience....anyone else here seen a game live?

Man that will be awesome, i'ld love seeing Tomlinson in action!! Also see Ben punt.. i've never been to the states, but im planning to go over either for next season or the season after that to see a Broncos game.

Enjoy it mate.

runmachine

Debutant
Feb 3, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Denver Broncos!

camsmith said:
Man that will be awesome, i'ld love seeing Tomlinson in action!! Also see Ben punt.. i've never been to the states, but im planning to go over either for next season or the season after that to see a Broncos game.

Enjoy it mate.
Yep seen a couple,Denver v LA Raiders at mile high MNF in 94 and a raiders v jets game at the LA collisium also in 94.We're also looking at getting over to Denver to catch a game, hopefully next year as well.

May 25, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Denver Broncos, Storm, Pompey

runmachine said:
Yep seen a couple,Denver v LA Raiders at mile high MNF in 94 and a raiders v jets game at the LA collisium also in 94.We're also looking at getting over to Denver to catch a game, hopefully next year as well.

Your lucky then.. to say you've been to the old mile high stadium... something i'll never be able to do :p

At the moment im just saving up money, once i have enough then i guess i have to start looking for mates who wanna come along. Not a cheap country to experience:D

Stealth bomber

Premiership Player
Aug 6, 2000
Denver, Colorado
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
GB Packers, STL Cards, PHI Flyers

I've been to Lambeau Field probably a dozen times. In all kinds of weather :)

Would rather go to a college game, to be honest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back