Teams New York Jets - Gang Green

Remove this Banner Ad

In regards to Paxton Lynch, we would probably need to trade up to get him. If we drafted another rookie QB, it would really make the QB situation interesting. I'd imagine they'd draft Lynch with the intention of starting him from day 1, but then what happens with QB2 and 3?
Smith will get cut, Petty deserves some more time to develop, I have no idea if Fitz would be happy to sign on as a back up after the year he had.

In an ideal world, I'd start with Lynch from day 1 with the knowledge you have a capable back up in Fitz if he finds he is not quite ready. Petty could then continue to develop with the aim of becoming the outright number 2.

Re-sign Fitz and start him for a season. Sit Lynch behind Fitz to learn how to be an NFL quarterback. Cut Genot. Petty is the third string QB.

With the schedule on the docket for next season, I can't see the Jets reaching the playoffs, so you might as well feed Fitz to the wolves and allow Lynch to sit on the bench for a season.

Thanks Brick for all the memories. Never missed a snap through injury in 10 years. Stud left tackle for all but the last couple of seasons.

Leaves a big hole at LT. Not sure who to replace him with.
The Jets traded for Ryan Clady who restructured his deal to make it happen. I wouldn't bother with Fitz. I'd try to pry away the #1 from Tennessee by dangling Wilkerson and some picks for Wentz.

Agree with Superstar swan. I don't think Tennessee needs to add Wilkerson to its roster as its set of defensive linemen are not the biggest problem facing the Titans.

My consistent view is that the Jets should look at drafting Paxton Lynch if he makes it past the Rams or if the cost of jumping above the Rams isn't too high. Let him sit for a season behind Fitzpatrick and then jettison Fitzpatrick in 2018 if Lynch is ready.

Anyone think we should look for a punter or kicker down the draft?
Our special teams suck and P and K is a fair reason why imo.
P and K is also one of those positions where you can take one and they can give you a decade of good service.
Punter for me. If we can get someone who can consistantly give us good field position and give our defence a decent chance

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone think we should look for a punter or kicker down the draft?
Our special teams suck and P and K is a fair reason why imo.
P and K is also one of those positions where you can take one and they can give you a decade of good service.

Ryan Quigley signed a one-year deal with the Eagles. That actually improves our punting.

Tom Hackett is reputedly the best punter available in the draft this year. He won the Ray Guy award with the Utes and he's brilliant at directional punting (given he's a Victorian, he uses the drop punt a lot in his punting).

However, I'm not sure that the Jets will actually spend a draft pick on a punter, given it's a position you can fill with street free agents relatively easily.

Pretty sure Nick Folk is under contract to the Jets and he should be fit enough to play week 1 after he finished his season early with an injury.

I just don't see Maccagnan taking a punter or kicker with a draft pick, given the Jets only have six picks to play with this draft.

The point is more about who is sitting two seats down from Mangold. I've seen it postulated online elsewhere that the Jets may have some locker room trouble to smooth over if Fitz-magic isn't brought back by the front office given he seems to be very popular amongst his teammates.

Didn't see that. I'm not against bringing back Fitzmagic for next year's starter, but it depends on what we pay him.
I'd be happy enough to go with Fitz QB1, Petty as back up, First round draft pick as QB3. It allows the two young QBs to sit for another year and develop, and by then at least 1 of Petty or new QB should be ready by start of the 2017 season.

Unless they want to have 2 long-term prospects on the bench or they aren't sold on Petty, then I wouldn't want to use a first round pick on a QB

Conversely, how many fourth round QBs have been successful, franchise-level QBs? Not many (and Brady was a sixth round pick. :p ).

Petty is having to transition from a spread offense into a pro-style offense. That's not an easy thing to accomplish.

I'm sick of the Jets rolling out mediocre QBs. If the front office has done their homework and believe that Lynch is the guy, then I'm right behind them. However, I would not be pleased if Maccagnan selects some like Cook or particularly Hackenberg. Neither of them scream franchise guy to me.

Carr, Dalton, Wilson. 3 quality QBs taken outside the first round. The talent is there if you look hard enough.

Dalton isn't a quality QB. He's a game manager made to look good by the cast of players around him. The jury is still out on Carr, IMO. Wilson should have been a Jet had Terry Bradway been listened to the year he was in the draft.

All three of them were taken by the third round, as well (a lot of drafts pre Carr's year had him going in the first round, so the Raiders did well to grab him at the top of the second).

Petty is a fourth year project who may or may not ever come good. In my view, if there's a QB prospect available in the first round that Maccagnan likes, then the fact the Jets have Petty on the roster shouldn't stop Maccagnan from turning in the pick.

The longer the fitz saga continues, the more i think we will live to regret it. I have a feeling that last year was a flash in the pan and we are going to be stuck paying well above fitz's out put.

Im happy to have him back bit it has to be at the right price

Remove this Banner Ad

Back