Teams New York Jets - Gang Green

Remove this Banner Ad

Genos arm looked a tad off but the the td was an excellent throw.. guess its only pre season 1 so players are expected to be rusty

It's more his decision-making that is the worry than his arm anyway. He doesn't seem to have a high "football IQ" - or just craps his pants when he sees defenses rushing him.

It's more his decision-making that is the worry than his arm anyway. He doesn't seem to have a high "football IQ" - or just craps his pants when he sees defenses rushing him.
although petty wasnt great, he did keep hia head when under pressure,especially when running. some of petty's early throws looked quite good.

having said that, i dont think fitz has to worry about losing starter job anytine soon

Never read too much into preseason anyway, as you've got a bunch of 2nd and 3rd stringers playing against each other at different times in different combos. Our first 6 weeks are brutal anyway, so we will know if we are out of playoff contention within that first 6 weeks. If we go 0-6 or 1-5, we are probably out of contention already. We need to somehow claw 2-3 wins from that first lot. Best chances are probably in the first 4 games, and even those will be tough.

Defense looked monstrous in the first half yesterday when we had our starters our there - but then again the Giants looked terrible. Hard to know what to take from that but I'd be inclined to disregard the second half when Geno, Petty and Hackenberg were on the field. Hackenberg did a couple of stupid things and and couple of good things but what amazed me is when the commentators said he hasn't had any reps in training camp. How is a guy supposed to improve if he's just sitting there watching all preseason? They should probably get rid of Geno and go with Fitz, Petty and Hackenberg - if Fitz gets injured or is terrible I don't think Geno will do much other than downgrade our first round pick by and few spots.

Williams looked awesome can't wait to see him in the regular season - Forte looked ok too

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After reading the Football Outsiders Almanac preview of the Jets, we are quite a strange team when you look at it - our age profile and list management suggests we're in win now mode but our QB situation is built for 3 years away. If we had the QB sorted we'd be a legitimate SB contender I feel, but with Fitz there our best hope is to sneak a wildcard spot especially with Brady in our division. Will be interesting to see how they go, if the D beasts it and Fitz is competent with Marshall, Decker and Forté as offensive weapons we may surprise some.

Alternatively it wouldn't surprise me if we s**t the bed on the back of a horrible season by Fitz and the offense and finish with a top 10 pick

After reading the Football Outsiders Almanac preview of the Jets, we are quite a strange team when you look at it - our age profile and list management suggests we're in win now mode but our QB situation is built for 3 years away. If we had the QB sorted we'd be a legitimate SB contender I feel, but with Fitz there our best hope is to sneak a wildcard spot especially with Brady in our division. Will be interesting to see how they go, if the D beasts it and Fitz is competent with Marshall, Decker and Forté as offensive weapons we may surprise some.

Alternatively it wouldn't surprise me if we s**t the bed on the back of a horrible season by Fitz and the offense and finish with a top 10 pick
I have no faith in Fitz this year, the best we can hope for is he doesn't cost us games, because a guy like him isn't good enough to go out and win them for us. I agree we are a QB short of contention right now, that has been my view for a while. I'd be happy enough to make the playoffs this year, and hopefully win one, but we aren't going to win the division particularly since by the time we play the Pats, they will have Brady back.

I have no faith in Fitz this year, the best we can hope for is he doesn't cost us games, because a guy like him isn't good enough to go out and win them for us. I agree we are a QB short of contention right now, that has been my view for a while. I'd be happy enough to make the playoffs this year, and hopefully win one, but we aren't going to win the division particularly since by the time we play the Pats, they will have Brady back.

Yeah and if you look at our opponents last year compared to this a chunk of the defenses we played were in the bottom 6 in the league (including Miami twice). Interesting to see how he goes this year, if he can keep from turning the ball over and get some movement down the field our D will keep us in a lot of games. Forte could be a key there as it will give us the dual threat option and having Marshall and Decker does give us some weapons. It's just whether Fitz is good enough to take advantage of them. If not we may as well let Petty/Hackenberg fight it out (say if we are 2-6 at the halfway mark) and look for an early draft pick.

Yeah and if you look at our opponents last year compared to this a chunk of the defenses we played were in the bottom 6 in the league (including Miami twice). Interesting to see how he goes this year, if he can keep from turning the ball over and get some movement down the field our D will keep us in a lot of games. Forte could be a key there as it will give us the dual threat option and having Marshall and Decker does give us some weapons. It's just whether Fitz is good enough to take advantage of them. If not we may as well let Petty/Hackenberg fight it out (say if we are 2-6 at the halfway mark) and look for an early draft pick.
I've really liked Petty this preseason, and with Marshall, Decker and Forte, I don't think he'd do any worse than Fitz, and obviously has a lot more upside, but I think Bowles is very much into the "safe" Fitz option, because you know what you'll get. He'll be average, but not the worst QB in the league.

Jets waived: Tommy Bohanan (FB), Jace Amaro (TE), Zach Sudfeld (TE), Wes Saxton (TE), Kenbrell Thompkins (WR), Chandler Worthy (WR), Craig Watts (OG), Mike Liedtke (OG), Tarow Barney (DT), Claude Pelon (DT), Freddie Bishop (LB), Taiwan Jones (LB), Bryson Keeton (CB), Darryl Morris (CB), Kevin Short (CB), Doug Middleton (S), Ronald Martin (S), Dexter McDougle (CB) and Dominique Williams (RB)

Jets waived/injured: Dee Milliner (CB), Trevor Reilly (OLB), Khiry Robinson (RB)

Released: Jeremy Ross (WR), Antone Smith (RB)

Put Breno Giacomini on the reserve/PUP list (misses the first six weeks of the season at least)

Sheldon is suspended for the first game of the season.

The Jets signed Braedon Bowman (TE) from Jacksonville, Brian Parker (TE) from Kansas City, Troymaine Pope (RB) from Seattle and Darryl Roberts (CB) from New England.

The Jets signed Doug Middleton, Craig Watts, Victor Ochi (LB), Freddie Bishop, Claude Pelon, Bryson Keeton and Myles White to the practice squad.

What the * is wrong with this team? Missed FG, missed PAT cost us, the only player doing anything on the opposition was Green and we could do nothing to stop him. We should've won this game, extremely frustrating start to the year especially considering we have to back it up in 4 days time on the road in Buffalo. Infuriating.

Oh, not to mention our inability to score in the Redzone again. We were what, 2nd and inches after Fitzpatrick fell short on the QB draw and couldn't convert a TD. Far too many points left on the field today and just like last year we looked good early only to fall apart as the day wore on. 5 sacks in the first half was phenomenal but we got maybe 1 in the 2nd and couldn't stop Dalton marching down the field

At least the D-line looks like going absolutely unstoppable this year, especially when Richardson is back in the mix. But yeh I agree, today should have been a well fought out home opener win, instead some stupid mistakes and now we are staring at a bad start to the year with our schedule and the ******* Pats got lucky and stole one away.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back