Teams New York Jets - Gang Green

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Christian Hackenberg will take over as the Jets' No. 2 quarterback after Josh McCown's year-ending hand injury.

The Jets clearly know Hackenberg isn't ready to play, or else they'd be starting the 2016 second-round pick. We'd be skeptical at this point if Hackenberg ever became ready to play. Instead, Gang Green will trot out Bryce Petty for Week 15 at New Orleans. Petty did show a strong connection with Robby Anderson last year, although all Jets pass catchers inevitably take a major hit.

Final score didn't reflect the actual game. Payton stat whores with the best of them so he is always happy to run up the score. Ingram should have taken a knee at the 1 yard line but no he had to pad his stats. Starts with the head coach.

Jets defence was on fire this morning. It's unfortunate that Wilkerson appears to have turned into a locker room cancer but leaving him behind was the right move. Lee played okay. Williams played well. Adams and Maye continued their good work in the secondary. Skrine was unbelievable as the slot corner.

Unfortunately Thomas couldn't be covered when we needed a stop.

Happy to see Hansen get some playing time and even more happy to see him get some key receptions to keep the drive going.

It is pretty clear that Petty is a backup only. One hopping passes at the feet of your receivers under basically minimal pressure is not conducive to keeping a starting role long term.

Just makes me wonder how bad Hack must be if he is activated for the first time this season given Petty's issues.

5-9 and the Chargers next week. Could easily see the Jets losing out and ending 5-11.

Really impressed with the D today, everyone did their part, even Skrine played well. After the awful effort put up last week, glad they fired up, surely has to say something about the coaching staff as well.

Petty is s***, a couple of better throws towards the end but accuracy was all over the shop. As you say, it has to make you think how bad Hackenburg is because if he is going to play in the NFL, he has to be given a go in one of these two games

And we're going 5-11, will probably go down as the most memorable 5-11 in my lifetime but no way we are winning these tough last 2 games

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
NJ.com reports Christian Hackenberg is still working "exclusively" with the scout team, and splitting reps with second-year UDFA Joel Stave.

Already ruled out as a Week 16 or 17 option at quarterback, Hackenberg doesn't seem to be making progress in practice. The reality is, he's not an NFL player. It appeared that way at Penn State. Two years on the Jets' practice field seems to have confirmed. At this point, Hackenberg seems likely to be cut next year, perhaps even early in the offseason.

Source: NJ.com

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Turtles, NYJets, Celtics, Tottenham
NJ.com reports Christian Hackenberg is still working "exclusively" with the scout team, and splitting reps with second-year UDFA Joel Stave.

Already ruled out as a Week 16 or 17 option at quarterback, Hackenberg doesn't seem to be making progress in practice. The reality is, he's not an NFL player. It appeared that way at Penn State. Two years on the Jets' practice field seems to have confirmed. At this point, Hackenberg seems likely to be cut next year, perhaps even early in the offseason.

Source: NJ.com

Never draft a guy who has "Hack" in his name ;)

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Jets signed GM Mike Maccagnan to a two-year extension through 2020.

Maccagnan was second-guessed in the offseason for releasing veterans Eric Decker, Brandon Marshall, David Harris, and Darrelle Revis, but none of the four proved to be of any help to their new teams. Maccagnan then traded Sheldon Richardson for Jermaine Kearse and a second-round pick, a deal that has paid off well for Gang Green. Maccagnan's drafts have had mixed results with the Christian Hackenberg and Devin Smith whiffs, but he's hit on Leonard Williams, Jamal Adams, and Marcus Maye. He also brought in Josh McCown, who had his best year in 2017. The Mo Wilkerson deal may be Maccagnan's biggest miss.

-------------------------

Jets signed coach Todd Bowles to a two-year extension through 2020.

GM Mike Maccagnan also landed a two-year extension, linking the two together for another three years. The Jets are currently sitting 5-10 and are just 1-5 over their last six games, but Gang Green greatly exceeded expectations in 2017 when most thought they'd be the laughingstock of the league following an offseason roster purge. It turned out the players they released were over the hill anyway. Bowles is 20-27 to this point in his Jets tenure. Keeping them around also likely keeps OC John Morton in tow after a successful first year calling the offense.

Hard to let them go after this season but Maccagnan needs to find a QB in this draft. I could see the Jets moving on from them both in 12 months if we don't draft and develop a good quarterback.

This should also mean that John Morton continues as offensive coordinator. That is a good move.

Procrastinating at work, so I thought I'd come up with a mock off-season for the Jets.

Cuts:

Muhammad Wilkerson (DE)
Matt Forte (RB)
Bryce Petty (QB)
Bilal Powell (RB)
Buster Skrine (CB)

Wilkerson is self-evident. I loved Wilkerson in his first few seasons with the Jets, but ever since Maccagnan gave him a contract extension, he's turned into a lazy self-entitled POS that has not contributed in any fashion. The Jets wouldn't be able to give him away, so cutting him as soon as possible following the start of the new league year (14 March) is the only thing that makes sense. Cutting him costs $9 million in dead money but saves $11 million against the cap.

Forte was a bust of the signing from the get-go and Maccagnan should cop flak for going out and making that deal. He's done as an NFL running back. Cutting Forte costs $1 million in dead money but saves $3 million against the cap.

Petty came in towards the back end of the season and showed that he's not a good enough backup QB. Cutting Petty costs $138,424 in dead money and saves $705,000 against the cap.

I feel sorry for Powell, as he's been misused by the Jets ever since he was drafted. At his peak, he's probably a second tier starting RB at best, but he's also 30 and with the Jets looking to rebuild the offence around a new QB, he's going to be too old to be a feature back in the next iteration of the Jets offence. Give him a chance to latch on with a team competing for the here and now. Cutting Powell costs $883,334 in dead money and saves $4 million against the cap.

There's a fair chance the Jets could ask Skrine to take a pay cut in exchange for a contract extension, but he's made noises that he expects to be paid what he is due under his current contract. If he sticks to that line, in this mock, I see the Jets cutting him and banking the $6 million money saved against the cap (with $2.5 million in dead money).

Other candidates for release include Robby Anderson (WR), Devin Smith (WR), Lorenzo Mauldin (OLB), Jalin Marshall (WR), Ben Ijalana (OT) and Steve McLendon (NT).

Re-sign

Demario Davis (ILB) - seems to enjoy playing in New York and formed a decent tandem with Darron Lee. He's never going to become a top echelon linebacker but defends the run reasonably well. I wouldn't go crazy giving him too much money, but the pairing of Davis and Lee gives continuity in the linebacker corps. I think an offer of three years, $15.5 million is probably enough to re-sign Davis.

Josh McCown (QB) - really enjoyed playing in New York and had his best season for some time with the Jets. Unlike two seasons ago with the Fitzpatrick saga, I would be making it clear to McCown that he's the #2 because the Jets will be finding the QB of the future through the draft or through free agency. McCown will be there to mentor and to step in for the emergency start if for whatever reason the #1 is unable to go.

Morris Claiborne (CB) - not a #1 corner, but does a good enough job as the second corner.

Austin Sefarian-Jenkins (TE) - played reasonably well for the Jets post-suspension and seems keen on staying here. The ranks of TEs behind ASJ with the Jets look thin (Jordan Leggett never played a down last season) and he's been the best TE the Jets have had since the first couple of seasons of Dustin Keller. Re-signing him shouldn't break the bank either.

Quincy Enunwa (WR) - missed the entire season with a neck injury but in 2016, he was a good wide receiver for the Jets. Pairing him with Jermaine Kearse gives the new starting QB a good crop of possession receivers with the threat of Robby Anderson (pending disciplinary action from the league over his arrests and whether the Jets choose to cut him as a result of his off-field travails) deep. I would probably give him a 2 year contract but structure it in a manner that allows the Jets to get out from the contract with minimal dead money if he can't recapture his 2016 form.

Other re-signings include Mike Pennel (NT), Dakota Dozier (OG), Chandler Catanzaro (PK), Rontez Miles (S)

Restructures

James Carpenter (OG) - had a down season compared to previous years, but that wasn't helped by the fact the Jets didn't properly replace Nick Mangold at centre.

Brian Winters (OG) - a homegrown talent at guard, but needs to prove he can stay healthy.

Free agency acquisitions

The Jets have the financial power to make an offer to Kirk Cousins that would blow any other offer out of the water (except potentially the Cleveland Browns). However, I am pessimistic that the Jets would land Cousins in free agency. I suspect that Cousins will accept less money to sign with a team perceived to be closer to contending, so I project him to sign with the Broncos.

None of the other remaining free agent QBs are compelling enough for me to mock any of them to the Jets. Keenum can't take Thielen, Diggs or Shurmur with him and Bridgewater hasn't played for two seasons. The Bengals saw McCarron back up a mediocre starting QB for two seasons and never made him a starter, so I don't see why the Jets should rush to make McCarron a starting QB. Brees will either re-sign with the Saints or retire from football. Bradford spends as much time in the rehab facilities as he does on the practice field and has never outperformed his contract.

The Jets have mountains of cap space at the moment (especially after the cuts), and there's a requirement to spend a minimum amount of the salary cap.

So, assuming the Rams don't lock up Trumaine Johnson on either another franchise tag or a long-term deal, I would overpay him to bring him to New York. He's not a top five cornerback, but he's still a very good cornerback, so matching him with Claiborne, with Adams and Maye as safeties, would give the Jets a reasonably strong starting defensive backfield, which should help the linebackers in particular. I would offer a five year, $58 million contract to Johnson.

If Johnson does not become available or signs with another team, my second choice would be Malcolm Butler. He's a free agent and did not play a defensive snap in the Super Bowl for reasons that have never been made clear, but he's been public about saying his 'goodbyes' to his teammates. He's a good CB, so would be an upgrade on what the Jets have at corner. Having said that, I think it's likely he follows Patricia to Detroit, due to his familiarity with the defensive scheme Patricia will want to run in Detroit.

Third choice would be Bashaud Breeland. He plays across from Josh Norman for the Redskins, and is much lower profile than his teammate. However, he's only 26 so he's young enough to still be a contributor when the Jets are in position to contend again. The Redskins will reportedly let him test free agency. He's a competent cornerback who should be reasonably priced.

It appears that the 49ers will part ways with Carlos Hyde. He's 26 years old and would be a very good option for running on first and second downs in particular, though he wouldn't be so useful as a pass-catching running back. I would test his interest in joining the Jets by offering him a 4 year contract worth $24 million dollars in total (with probably half of that as guaranteed money).

If Hyde re-signs with the 49ers or signs elsewhere, then I would look at signing Isaiah Crowell from the Browns or possibly Rex Burkhead of the Patriots. Burkhead is slightly older than Hyde and probably isn't the type of player to handle every down duties. I would offer Burkhead a two year contract worth approximately $7 million.

It's not inconceivable that the Jets release Carpenter during the off-season. Regardless of whether they do or not, I would make an attractive offer to Andrew Norwell of the Panthers. He's 26 and has four years experience under his belt. He went undrafted, so this represents his first and possibly only opportunity to make bank. Offer him a five year, $62 million contract and see how we go.

I wouldn't be averse to bringing Sheldon Richardson back, and there were rumours a few months ago that he was interested in reuniting with the Jets, as he didn't want to leave in the first place. More recently, there are rumours that the Seahawks may franchise tag Richardson, in which case I would look elsewhere. Although Wilkerson was a disruptive cancer by the end of his tenure with the Jets, having three strong defensive linemen to rotate would appeal, as it would keep all three reasonably fresh as the season continues. If the Seahawks don't franchise tag Richardson, I would offer him a five year, $60 million contract.

If Richardson falls through, then I would look at signing Star Lotulelei (taken one pick after Richardson in the 2013 draft, coincidentally) but on a four year, $35 million contract (he's a year older than Richardson).

Regardless of whether ASJ re-signs with the Jets, I would be keen to sign Trey Burton. Having a 1-2 punch at tight end with Burton and ASJ would be super useful for whomever quarterbacks the Jets and if ASJ leaves, Burton is a very good replacement. See if he'll bite on a 3 year, $22 million contract.

I'm tipping that the Jaguars franchise tag Allen Robinson. If he isn't tagged, I would make him an offer as I think he has WR1 potential, but his injury history probably keeps me from backing up the truck. If Robinson is off the market, I would prioritise Jarvis Landry over Sammy Watkins. As Landry has been more productive with the Dolphins than Watkins has been with the Bills and Rams, Landry is going to command a bigger salary. I would offer him a five year, $73 million salary to see if we can outbid other teams that will undoubtedly be interested in him.

I would offer a four year contract to Watkins, worth about $25 million.

Ryan Jensen is the best available free agent centre on the market. He's a former sixth round pick for the Ravens. Personally I think it's highly likely he re-signs with the Ravens, but if he's squeezed out, I would test his resolve with a five year, $48 million contract.

In summary, I think it's realistic to see the Jets sign the following players:

Trumaine Johnson (CB) - alternative: Bashaud Breeland (CB)
Jarvis Landry (WR) - alternative: Sammy Watkins (WR)
Star Lotulelei (DT)
Carlos Hyde (RB)

On to the draft.

As the Jets were unable to beat out the competition for Kirk Cousins, finding a new starting QB will be at the top of the wish list for Maccagnan. Personally, from my research so far, I like Baker Mayfield out of all the QB prospects. However, if you take a look at Maccagnan's draft history (from a limited sample size) he seems to prefer the big-armed statues for QBs, so that probably means that Josh Allen would be the Jets' pick at #6.

The Jets have two picks in the second round (one courtesy of the Richardson trade with Seattle). With the holes on the roster the Jets have, I could see the Jets taking Isaiah Wynn out of Georgia with the 37th overall pick, if he's still available. His college background is as a tackle, but he physically profiles as a guard and could be shifted to centre with the right training.

From my research, I think the running back class has some depth to it. Not every running back is a Saquon Barkley (whom I would select if the Jets snag Kirk Cousins in free agency, but would require a trade up to make sure of it). In the second round, with the 49th pick, if he's on the board and the Jets have signed a veteran running back in free agency (not necessarily Hyde, but someone who can carry the ball 20 times a game), I would draft Ronald Jones from USC. If Jones is not available and/or the Jets have not signed a veteran running back after cutting Forte and Powell, then the Jets are probably looking at a Nick Chubb type of player.

Mar 31, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Turtles, NYJets, Celtics, Tottenham
Quite a few reports suggesting that the Jets are prepared to pay more than any other team for Cousins and that the Jets are likely to guarantee the majority - if not all - of his contract.

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york/j...oot-at-qb-with-kirk-cousins-their-focal-point

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/02/17/will-kirk-cousins-get-a-fully-guaranteed-contract/

Unless the Jets invest in the O-line it probably doesn't matter who they get at QB. Honestly I'd rather they fix that first through trades/draft, extend McCown for a year, draft a QB and try and get an edge rusher via FA/trade.

Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Unless the Jets invest in the O-line it probably doesn't matter who they get at QB. Honestly I'd rather they fix that first through trades/draft, extend McCown for a year, draft a QB and try and get an edge rusher via FA/trade.
Agree...Mccown was very handy this year but while we are not seriously contending for a ring in the next year or so, id prefer to take care of and build a strong foundation of an o line and continue our impressive defence unit before investing on a Qb just yet...as we have seen, qbs can be found anywhere anytime where it usually takes an extended period of time to build the rest of the roster

Turns out the Jets declined the option on Ijalana's contract in mid-February, making him a free agent. This saves the Jets $4.7 million on the cap.

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0757387769554146611-4

From a few days ago, it was reported that the Jets were looking to tender restricted free agent Quincy Enunwa, possibly at the second round level (would cost $3 million approximately).

Since I wrote my hypothetical, the Dolphins have franchise tagged Jarvis Landry, but the Rams did not tag either Trumaine Johnson or Sammy Watkins nor the Jaguars tag Allen Robinson. It appears that Johnson will go the 49ers and there's a fair chance that Watkins simply re-signs with the Rams.

Rich Cimini reports that MLB Demario Davis is seeking $8-$10 million a year, while the Jets see him as worth paying $3-$4 million a year. Looks like we're going to have to find a new middle linebacker.

Cimini also reports that the Jets are interested in re-signing Morris Claiborne, and will have some interest in Trumaine Johnson and Malcolm Butler but the Jets are not likely to offer enough money to edge out other interested teams (especially in Johnson).

Re signing McCown and negotiating with Bridgewater.

Get out of here Maccagnan. 90 million dollars burning a hole in your pocket and you can't sign Star (going to Buffalo), Allen Robinson (going to the Bears), Sammy Watkins, Weston Richburg or Andrew Norwell.

Joke.

Yeah, signing Johnson makes me feel a little better.

On the QB front, as the Jets re-signed McCown, I would re-sign ASJ (but apparently they're going to let him walk) and then draft the next guy. I wouldn't bother with Bridgewater.

Jamal Adams is out there trying to recruit Jordy Nelson. :D

Bridgewater to the Jets on a 1-year, $5 million contract. I hope that doesn't preclude Maccagnan from going out and drafting the QB he wants in the draft, because signing McCown and Bridgewater and rolling with one of Petty and Hackenberg as the season begins does not make me excited. I can deal with McCown and Bridgewater on the roster for 12 months if we draft Mayfield or Darnold (not Josh Allen, his accuracy issues scare me).

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Just got pick 3 !!! Franchise altering draft coming up
Are Jets targeting Baker Mayfield?
Posted by Mike Florio on March 28, 2018, 10:26 AM EDT

ap_18073714712380-e1522247166957.jpg

AP

There’s plenty of chatter making the rounds at the league meetings about plenty of topics. Here’s one specific nugget to keep in mind: Some believe the Jets made the trade from No. 6 to No. 3 with a specific plan in mind to land quarterback Baker Mayfield.

It would be a fascinating development, if it happens. The Jets haven’t had a true franchise quarterback since Joe Namath, and Mayfield would instantly bring a Namath-style vibe to New York, if he’s the pick.

The move also would explain the decision to move to No. 3. Few expect Mayfield to be one of the first two picks in the draft. But there’s a good chance Mayfield would have been gone by No. 6, especially if a team drafting lower than No. 6 had opted to trade up and cut the line in front of New York.

Coach Todd Bowles made clear on Tuesday that he’s interested in Mayfield, lack of height notwithstanding.

“You see the player and you see the play,” Bowles said, via Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News. “And you know the guy can play football. He’s a competitor.”

But what height and hand size and other tangible measurements?

“They’re important to a degree,” Bowles said. “Winning is more important. You just have to weigh the pluses and the minuses on that. Quarterback measurables are important. Defensive back measurables are important. There’s a height requirement there as well. There’s a height requirement for linebackers and defensive linemen.”

Bowles added that, for all positions other than slot receiver, slot corner, or punt returner, the player “damn well . . . better be above 5-8.” Mayfield is, which means he still could be a Jet.

Some think he will be, unless he’s the first or second overall pick in the draft.

I would take Mayfield, Rosen or Darnold in this draft. Allen scares me. From the tape I've seen, he loves to force the ball into double coverage. I hope that if the player the Jets targeted isn't there at 3 and the price to move up is too much, the Jets move down and recoup some of the draft capital sprint on moving up rather than take Allen.

Back