Teams New York Jets - Gang Green

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 31, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
Bit behind on the draft class this year, what kind of qb is darnold
Safe

Not a super high ceiling but should have a solid floor.

Young, he is only 20. Hopefully get to learn through 2018.

No. 3 – New York Jets – Sam Darnold (QB)

After being rumored as the No. 1 pick in the draft, Darnold “slips” to No. 3. After trading away quite a few draft picks, the Jets may have just landed the quarterback they would’ve taken as the first one off the board. Darnold is considered a “green” quarterback who could use some developing, so falling in with the Jets is the dream scenario where he’ll be able to learn from veteran Josh McCown. The Jets need to rebuild the offensive line around him, but Darnold’s stock shouldn’t take a massive hit going to the Jets instead of the Browns. He’s unlikely to play right away and might not even play at all in 2018.

Man I just didn't even consider until the last day or so we'd get Darnold. Will need to do some research on him (because recycling and regurgitating other people's opinions will be very useful for my future comments). I was in on Rosen, he was the guy I really liked so I am stoked he went to a non AFC East team. Also extremely happy the Bills traded up for Allen.

We took our shot and it's paid off so far, we'll see how it all turns out.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
2560057.png

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Turtles, NYJets, Celtics, Tottenham
Mayfield seems like an utter campaigner Johnny Football mk2. He'll get the punk smashed out of him pretty quickly in the pros can easily see him being a massive bust. His highlights seem pretty gimmicky too how will that translate to the NFL?

Rosen's comments were hilarious but kind of expect that from US athletes. I'm happy with Darnold if for no other reason than he seems to have a decent (if not massive) head on his shoulders. The NY market would not have been a good fit for Mayfield, Rosen maybe but I like the fact we seem to have landed a down to earth kind of guy. Hopefully he had the ability to match.

So Darnold is not at training camp as there is an impasse between him (via his agent) and the Jets over his contract. The wage is slotted, so the issue appears (according to NFL.com) to be about provisions in the contract that enable the Jets to recover money if Darnold is injured engaging in certain activities outside football.

ESPN in the meantime reports that the issue appears to be about offsets and the capacity of the Jets to void guaranteed money if he faces fines from the NFL for disciplinary issues on or off the field. ESPN reports that Mayfield and Allen (who shares the same agent with Darnold) have void language for suspensions only.

Darnold is represented by Jimmy Sexton of CAA, who represented Joey Bosa when he was drafted by the Chargers and held out on signing his rookie deal with the Chargers until training camp was well underway (ESPN reports that Bosa held out for 31 days over offsets and a partial deferment of a signing bonus worth $17 million to Bosa).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Bit of a surprise...

============

Todd Bowles brushes off Jamal Adams’ comments about last year’s Jets
Posted by Mike Florio on August 8, 2018, 12:15 AM EDT
ap_18218707845667-e1533701732850.jpg

AP

Jets safety Jamal Adams had some strong comments about his rookie year with the team. His low-key (at least when talking publicly) head coach tried his best to downplay Adams’ remarks.

“[E]verybody was used to losing,” Adams told Bleacher Report. “You can always tell that vibe. I came in, and it was like everybody wanted to do the bare minimum. They didn’t want to go above and beyond. They didn’t want to take that extra step.”

Adams minced no words, and it’s unmistakable that the attitude he perceived traces back to the coaching staff.

“Me and Jamal have talked about that,” coach Todd Bowles told reporters on Tuesday. “Jamal is a very young player and he is a very smart player and he speaks from his heart and no different, we talked about it. He didn’t mean a lot of things that came out wrong, but from a necessary standpoint when you give everything, and you demand people to be like you, everyone is not like you. Some people learn differently, and some don’t, but we talked about it and it is just part of being a young player. He will learn over time things to say and what he really means and what not to say. We dealt with it and we moved on.”

It’s not clear what “came out wrong”; Adams’ words were as clear as they could have been. But what else was Bowles supposed to say about comments that ultimately reflect poorly on Bowles, since he ultimately was responsible for the team?

“I have talked to him today and I have talked to him another day, but it is just part of being a young player,” Bowles said. “It’s a process and I talk to all of our young players about that and they will get better. Obviously, there are going to be some bumps in the road, but you move on.”

So does Bowles agree with what Adams said?

“I didn’t really read it,” Bowles said. “No, and I really don’t discuss in-house business outside, so it really doesn’t matter.”

What if guys who were on the team last year take what Adams said the wrong way?

“You can’t take back what you said, if you said it,” Bowles said. “But you move on, you learn from your mistakes and you go from there.”

The mistake apparently wasn’t believing it. The mistake was saying it out loud to someone not within the Jets family. And chances are that what Bowles has said or will say to Adams privately will be a lot more blunt and pointed than what Bowles said publicly.

Keen to see how much time Darnold gets in the preseason games.

Will Bridgewater get on the field ?

First pre-season game is this Saturday (Australian time). Bowles has confirmed McCown will start, but I suspect he'll play one series and then give way to Bridgewater (he's currently 2nd on the depth chart) and Darnold might get a quarter (the fourth).

The big one will be the third preseason game. Generally that's the game where the starters for the first game of the regular season get the most playing time. If Darnold is playing a lot in that game, then he'll likely start against Detroit.

If Darnold is playing a lot in the fourth preseason game then it's a fair assumption that McCown will start the regular season.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Report: Jets open to trading Teddy Bridgewater
Posted by Charean Williams on August 8, 2018, 7:46 PM EDT
pft223-e1533771958103.jpg

AP

The Jets are open to trading Teddy Bridgewater for the right price and under the right circumstances, Manish Mehta of the Daily News reports. But in order for the Jets to generate a market for the quarterback, they need Bridgewater to prove in the preseason his surgically repaired knee can hold up to contact.

Bridgewater played only nine snaps last season after sitting out the 2016 season, so no one has seen him take any real hits since 2015.

Bridgewater signed only a one-year deal with the Jets, who also re-signed Josh McCown and drafted Sam Darnold in the first round. Darnold is the quarterback of the future and possibly the quarterback of the present.

So why wouldn’t the Jets try to get something for Bridgewater, who wants to start again and signed with the Jets believing he would get that chance?

The Jets are expected to give Bridgewater a significant workload in the preseason opener Friday, but the team also wants Darnold to get his share of snaps. It would prove a win-win for the Jets if both quarterbacks play well.

They could give Darnold the starting job for the season opener without reservation, and seek to trade Bridgewater, who would have a much improved market.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Josh Norman on Sam Darnold: It’s so crazy to see what he’s doing at an early age
Posted by Charean Williams on August 14, 2018, 3:10 PM EDT
pft254-e1534273828694.jpg

AP

Sam Darnold already has impressed his teammates and his coaches. Now, it’s opponents who are saying good things about the Jets rookie quarterback.

Pro Bowl cornerback Josh Normanraved about Darnold after joint practices between Washington and the Jets.

“How do I want to word this?” Norman said, via video posted by Kimberly Martin of the Washington Post. “Someone asked me about him the other day and I was like, ‘Yeah, whatever; he’s just a guy.’ Then you go out here and see him making these throws and you’re like, all right. That’s not so much a college-level throw. He’s putting them on the money.

“It’s like, dang. You get rookies in here and you try to mess them with a little bit and bait them a little bit into thinking they’re throwing a route, and you can make a play, and he’s not having it. It’s so crazy to see that at an early age. Dak [Prescott] has that; Carson [Wentz] has that. So it’s like, man, they must come in here not wanting to screw it up, and he’s so far impressed me, and I didn’t want him to. I wanted to break all rookies. He’s been doing a great job.”

The Jets listed Darnold third on their depth chart last week before their preseason game against the Falcons. After Darnold went 13-of-18 for 96 yards and a touchdown, the Jets rewarded him with first-team reps. There is optimism in New York that the Jets have their starter not only of the future but of the present.

Norman sees why.

“I gave him some cheese,” Norman said. “He held it, and he was going to throw it, and he pulled it back, and I jumped back real fast and I was like, ‘You little devil. OK, I see you working really good right now.’ I couldn’t bait him like I wanted to and he saw it, and he read it out, and he read it out like a vet. You tip your hat to a guy like that, learning at an early age when guys are messing with him and when they’re not. It’s pretty awesome.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back