Liftoff

Dmx5PHTWwAAtpYi.jpg

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Turtles, NYJets, Celtics, Tottenham
Were we good or were Detroit terrible? Probably a bit of both. Darnold made some good plays after the horror start but our D was impressive. A pick 6 of our own, multiple intercepts (4?) and constant pressure on Stafford.

We also returned a punt for a TD which I haven't seen us do in a long time (not sure I've ever seen us do it) and a long run for a TD too (62 yds I think it was). An immensely enjoyable start to the season made doubly so by the look on Patricia's stunned face and the Jets fans congregating behind the bench and getting the J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS!!!! chant going in an opposition stadium.

Confuscius

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 21, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NY Jets, Storm, Liverpool, Thunder
Shot ourselves in the foot too many times. Miami dominated field position the first half and every time we got something going we ended it with something terrible. The first pick and Anderson's bad fumble lead to TDs and both ended drives where we were moving the chains.

Then we inexplicably leave points on the field before the half.

Then even after all that if the pyror/darnold mistake doesnt happen we're still right in it. Defence did well all things considered but still a disappointing day

Frustrating but kind of expected game tbh, we may of played better but too many critical errors cost us. The D was solid and apart from a couple of bad throws, Darnold was fine. 2 games in, can't really complain so far. Still would like to know why we kept Skrine but anyways.

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
I'm beginning to really hate the Dolphins. They're a rubbish side but always seem to beat us at home!

Not confident going into today, the Browns D has been very good the first 2 weeks it's just their O continually shits the bed. I'm at home looking after my son today who is sick so I'll get to watch this live for a change.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really? They were just gassed imo, Darnold couldnt put a drive together to save himself, punt punt and punt some more.

Not much you can do when your O-Line sucks and are playing a decent defence. Sam didn't play great but under pressure in your 3rd start, I can give him some slack.

What I can't give slack for is Robbie Anderson not holding to the f***ing football and stupid penalties. In the end though, our D just played poorly in the 2nd half, if we are going to be winning games, they need to play 4 quarters.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
SNY's Ralph Vacchiano reports the "feeling around the Jets" is Todd Bowles' job isn't safe.

Bowles signed a two-year extension this offseason, but that was done to avoid lame-duck status. There's chatter the Jets want to move on from Bowles after CEO Christopher Johnson didn't fully endorse him at a season-opening press conference. The Jets are coming off an ugly loss to the Browns on Thursday night and have been one of the most penalized teams in the league. It's still early, but Bowles is going to be on the hot seat if he doesn't get things turned around.

Source: SNY

It just shows a week is a long time in football. We were on top of the world after week 1 and now we are talking about firing our coach 2 weeks later. And the weird thing, most fans surely would of taken 1-2 to start the season.

The Browns loss falls almost entirely on the coaching staff. Bowles is the only head coach who is either incapable of or unwilling to make adjustments at half-time. Heck, he even had a chance to see Mayfield up close and personal with a drive before half-time. Bowles simply permitted Mayfield to own the middle of the field and to hit his receivers time and time again. Mayfield was victimised more by his receivers' drops than by the Jets defence. Given the resources invested into the defence over the past few seasons, I would expect better from a defensive-minded head coach.

Which brings me to the offence. The offensive-line is below average, that's for sure, but by and large they gave Darnold enough time to make plays (especially if Darnold was prepared to step up into the pocket, which against the Browns he wasn't). Darnold was simply handcuffed by the one-dimensional playcalling from Bates. Screens and runs up the guts are not going to cut it against a Gregg Williams-marshalled defence. Surely you run the same rush to the same side over and over again to set up a play-action pass to Robby Anderson down field. Nup. Let's plough straight into the defensive line over and over again to put Darnold into third and long over and over again.

And then there were the penalties. Into the fourth season of Bowles as head coach and it's the same story. Complete lack of discipline on both sides of the ball. Some really stupid and egregious penalties, then penalties on the offensive line that just kill drives.

We saw how the Rams took a quantum leap forward when they got rid of Jeff Fisher and brought in an innovative, offence-focused head coach with a veteran DC to look after the defence. Woody and Chris Johnson should be looking at the same blueprint. Get rid of Bowles, Bates and Rodgers to save Darnold.

Bigelow

All Australian
Feb 23, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
gpodawund
Expecting a tough game for Darnold

Might be worth putting him on bench and let McCown play and let Darnold see what is going on form the outside.

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Not much you can do when your O-Line sucks and are playing a decent defence. Sam didn't play great but under pressure in your 3rd start, I can give him some slack.

What I can't give slack for is Robbie Anderson not holding to the f***ing football and stupid penalties. In the end though, our D just played poorly in the 2nd half, if we are going to be winning games, they need to play 4 quarters.

Listening to Lombardi on the Ringer NFL Podcast he seemed to think we got spooked once Mayfield came into the game and just went into basic cover 3 defense. Put it down to not having done our homework and not expecting Mayfield to be put in to the game.

If so that's completely on the coaches. Inexcusable.

I agree with Dixie Flatline Bowles has to go. He's got nothing, so uninspiring.

Who would you suggest that is available ?

It's a good question, because there aren't many outstanding candidates.

John DeFilippo is one name that seems to be on top of the lists. Turned 40 earlier this year (April) and has been coaching either at college or in the NFL since 2000 (including a season under Rex Ryan as quarterbacks coach of the NYJ - 2009). Critically, he was the QBs coach at Philadelphia when they drafted and developed Wentz, so he knows what it is like to handle a young QB going through growing pains.

DeFilippo is probably going to be hot property in the off-season (there's even talk that the Vikings could fire Zimmer and replace him with DeFilippo).

Dan Campbell has had a taste of what it's like to be head coach when he was interim head coach of the Dolphins back in 2015 after the Dolphins fired Joe Philbin. He's now the tight ends coach and assistant head coach at the Saints and lost out to Frank Reich in the contest to become the Colts head coach last season. Low profile but he has been a player and a coach in the league since 1999.

I would also be sounding out whether Stanford's David Shaw would be interested. He's had opportunities in the past to go to the NFL, and turned them down, so it would be a long shot, but he's had a consistent record of excellence during his 11 years at Stanford.

Jim Harbaugh is reportedly on thin ice at Michigan. I think he's the kind of coach that would not last long at New York, and I'm sure one of his conditions in becoming head coach is that he is also the GM, which means Maccagnan gets fired and we probably lose Heimerdinger as well (and I think Heimerdinger could well be the next Jets GM if he starts receiving offers to go elsewhere).

Another name on the list of possible head coaches is the Sooners' head coach Lincoln Riley. It would be ironic if he's tempted into the league given he helped to make Baker Mayfield the overall #1 draft pick.

I think there's no doubt that there will be a change of head coach at the end of the season. The Jets' pathetic performance this morning underlines that Bowles is in over his head and that nothing has changed over the last three and a bit seasons with respect to his game management.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back