Teams New York Jets - Gang Green

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Report: Todd Bowles and Mike Maccagnan have been at odds for years
Posted by Darin Gantt on December 6, 2018, 4:10 PM EST
gettyimages-488075996-e1544130599355.jpg

Getty Images

As it turns out, the Jets aren’t just losing football games, they’re coming apart at the seams.

According to Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News, the team’s 3-9 record is matched only by the organizational rift between General Manager Mike Maccagnan and coach Todd Bowles.

The report suggests that Bowles is almost certainly gone after this season, and that Maccagnan may get a chance to hire a coach more in line with his philosophy. They were hired at the same time to replace Rex Ryan and John Idzik, and while it might seem that they’d be singing off the same sheet of music, they’re painted as being mismatched from the start.

The Jets set up a system in which both reported directly to ownership. That led to some natural turf wars, as they often disagreed.

Mehta outlines a numbers of points where the teams two top decision-makers diverged on personnel choices. The coaches apparently wanted Maccagnan to trade up to take running back Alvin Kamara in the 2017 draft, but Maccagnan thought it was too high a price to pay to move up (the Saints gave their 2018 second-rounder in the trade). He did give them the wide receiver they were clamoring for (ArDarius Stewart) 12 picks later, but Stewart is already gone.

Maccagnan is given credit(?) for the decision to burn a 2016 second-rounder on quarterback Christian Hackenberg, who never played a snap for the Jets, and that might have been because he was no good and it might have been part of a petty point-proving by the coaches who didn’t want him.

Regardless the personnel particulars — and it’s important to remember that sources will eagerly promote their own agendas at the expense of the other — having the two at odds serves no one’s best interest.

Whether they start with another clean slate or hire a coach Maccagnan trusts, the important part is having a clear organizational philosophy, and building a structure in which they work toward common goals

Check out Darnold's touchdown pass to Anderson in the fourth quarter. Amazing work to scramble, buy some time and then throw a dart to Anderson in the end zone.

Jets came to play today, despite the coaching (not sure how we could let Josh Allen rack up over 100 yards rushing, but whatever). Special teams (but for Roberts' muffed punt) brought it. Darnold brought it.

Whomever is coaching the Jets next season has a nucleus of some good young players to work with and to shape. Many more pieces need to be added, but if the Jets can hire the right head coach and coordinators, then the future looks bright.

Turns out that had the Jets lost to the Bills, they would be picking first overall had the season ended today, with the 49ers and Raiders both winning. Jets' strength of schedule is easier than the strength of schedules for the 49ers, Cardinals and Raiders.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
If Jets can get Jim Harbaugh, Mike Maccagnan likely would stay
Posted by Mike Florio on December 24, 2018, 10:19 AM EST

GettyImages-879061780-e1545664659537.jpg

Getty Images

The Jets plan to make a run at Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh. If they can land the man who has said he’s not leaving Michigan, what would the Jets do with G.M. Mike Maccagnan?

It’s believed that Maccagnan is on board with the move, primarily because he has no other choice. If he resists, he could join coach Todd Bowles as a former employee of the organization. Instead, Maccagnan hangs around and tries to co-exist with a guy who had a very hard time co-existing with Trent Baalke in San Francisco.

Regardless, the effort is coming. CEO Christopher Johnson, who is filling in for his brother Woody as the team owner serves as the U.S. Ambassador to the United Kingdom, personally has been doing the research and making the calls and coming to the conclusion that Jim Harbaugh may be the right guy to help the Jets get to where they haven’t been in 50 years, and counting — and to work with a potential franchise quarterback who has shown increasing signs of promise in his rookie season.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Jets say coaching candidates who want total control are “off the table”

Posted by Josh Alper on January 1, 2019, 6:56 AM EST

GettyImages-853070100-e1546343760966.jpg

Getty Images

The Jets made the expected change at head coach on Sunday when they fired Todd Bowles shortly after the end of his fourth season with the team, but they say they aren’t shaking things up much beyond that.
General Manager Mike Maccagnan remains on the job and CEO Christopher Johnson said on Monday that the operating structure that was in place with Bowles will remain the same. That means Maccagnan and the new coach will both report directly to Johnson, who ruled out hiring a coach who is interested in total control of the football side of the organization.
“I think that would be the wrong person for the job,” Johnson said, via ESPN.com. “That would be off the table. … Look, a lot has not gone well here. Like I said, part of that is my fault and I’ll take the blame on that. I need to do a better job, but I don’t think the organizational structure is at fault.”
The Jets have reached out to Cowboys defensive backs coach/passing game coordinator Kris Richard, Chiefs offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy and Buccaneers offensive coordinator Todd Monken and reportedly have interest in talking to former Lions head coach Jim Caldwell as well. The last three of those names would seem to be a close fit with Johnson’s desire to hire a coach that has “a plan in place to develop” Sam Darnold in 2019 and beyond

Bigelow

All Australian
Feb 23, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
gpodawund
Jets say coaching candidates who want total control are “off the table”

Posted by Josh Alper on January 1, 2019, 6:56 AM EST

GettyImages-853070100-e1546343760966.jpg

Getty Images

The Jets made the expected change at head coach on Sunday when they fired Todd Bowles shortly after the end of his fourth season with the team, but they say they aren’t shaking things up much beyond that.
General Manager Mike Maccagnan remains on the job and CEO Christopher Johnson said on Monday that the operating structure that was in place with Bowles will remain the same. That means Maccagnan and the new coach will both report directly to Johnson, who ruled out hiring a coach who is interested in total control of the football side of the organization.
“I think that would be the wrong person for the job,” Johnson said, via ESPN.com. “That would be off the table. … Look, a lot has not gone well here. Like I said, part of that is my fault and I’ll take the blame on that. I need to do a better job, but I don’t think the organizational structure is at fault.”
The Jets have reached out to Cowboys defensive backs coach/passing game coordinator Kris Richard, Chiefs offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy and Buccaneers offensive coordinator Todd Monken and reportedly have interest in talking to former Lions head coach Jim Caldwell as well. The last three of those names would seem to be a close fit with Johnson’s desire to hire a coach that has “a plan in place to develop” Sam Darnold in 2019 and beyond

Is that dual reporting common in the NFL ?

It didn;t seem to work well at the Browns before Dorsey got there

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Is that dual reporting common in the NFL ?

It didn;t seem to work well at the Browns before Dorsey got there
That is the standard around the NFL. Some clubs, the HC reports to the GM who reports to the CEO or Owner directly. Done clubs the HC is the GM. Some clubs the GM is more a cap/contracts guy, and they still both report to owner or CEO or VP of Football Operations. Some clubs have different titles and different front office set ups.....as in, sone are real simple like the patriots (which is ideal), and some clubs have a complicated structure so as to ensure a transparent due process and share workload around, but these often end in power struggles and firings.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
ESPN's Jeff Darlington reports ex-Dolphins OC Dowell Loggains is expected to serve in the same capacity for Adam Gase with the Jets.

Yikes. Gase coordinates his own offense, so Loggains is more of an adviser/sounding board. It's still an extremely uninspiring move for a Jets team that is going against this offseason's grain of bold coaching hires. Loggains has never been anyone's idea of fun on offense, from Tennessee to Chicago to Miami.
Related: Jets

Source: Jeff Darlington on Twitter

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports ex-Broncos coach Vance Joseph is a "strong possibility" to serve as new Jets coach Adam Gase's defensive coordinator.

Rapsheet also reports Joseph is "still in the mix" for the Bengals' head-coaching job. Unceremoniously fired by the Dolphins, Gase is nevertheless preparing to double down on his Dolphins staff with Gang Green, with OC Dowell Loggains also rumored to be making the move north to Florham Park. While Loggains is as uninspiring as they come, Joseph would be a perfectly fine choice as defensive coordinator.
Related: Bengals, Jets

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Report: Offensive coordinator choice was issue for Matt Rhule with Jets

Posted by Josh Alper on January 10, 2019, 8:15 AM EST

GettyImages-1052072032-e1547126136787.jpg

Getty Images

Shortly before word broke that Adam Gase will be the new head coach of the Jets, there were multiple reports that Matt Rhule would remain the head coach at Baylor.

The two developments were not unrelated. The Jets interviewed Rhule and the reports of his return were accompanied by a report that talks about him moving to the Jets fell apart because of disagreements about the coaching staff that Rhule would put in place.

Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News reports that Rhule’s choice for offensive coordinator was a particular sticking point. There’s no word on who Rhule had targeted for the job beyond that it is a current NFL assistant. Rich Cimini of ESPN.com reports that former Buccaneers offensive coordinator Todd Monken was floated as an option by the Jets. Monken also interviewed for the head coaching job.

Given the importance of developing quarterback Sam Darnold to the Jets’ future, it’s easy to understand the weight they’d place on the choice of offensive coordinator. It’s also easy to understand why a head coach would balk at not having the assistants that he feels are necessary for success and it all adds up to that responsibility falling on Gase and his assistants.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
give it a chance first guys....

---------------

Alshon Jeffery thinks Adam Gase will turn Sam Darnold into MVP candidate
Posted by Curtis Crabtree on January 11, 2019, 1:05 AM EST
GettyImages-503184568-e1547185881874.jpg

Getty Images
Philadelphia Eagles wide receiver Alshon Jeffery only spent one season with Adam Gase as his offensive coordinator in Chicago. That short stint left a strong impression with Jeffery and has him predicting big things for Gase and quarterback Sam Darnold in New York.
According to Matt Lombardo of NJ.com, Jeffrey believes that Gase can help mold Darnold into one of the best quarterbacks in the league with the Jets.

His impact will be huge,” Jeffery said. “I think Darnold will excel. Knowing the Adam Gase that I know, and the potential the Jets are looking for, I’m pretty sure Sam is going to be a Super Bowl MVP. He can win a Super Bowl.

“Darnold will be an MVP in this league working with Gase. The way Gase works with quarterbacks, the next year and over the years to come, I expect big things coming from those two.”

Jay Cutler posted the highest passer rating of his career in 2015 when Gase was the offensive coordinator in Chicago. Jeffrey had caught 54 passes for 807 yards and four touchdowns in just nine games as he battles injuries all season.

Getting the most out of Darnold out of the next few seasons with be among Gase’s top priorities now after being hired as the head coach of the Jets. There may be no more singularly valuable commodity in football than a highly productive quarterback on a rookie contract and Gase will be charged with maximizing that value with Darnold.
Jeffery has faith that Gase will be able to do just that.

“That’s my guy,” Jeffery said. “I love Gase. He’s someone that you definitely want to play for. All he ever wants to do is win.”

Pretty funny the pump up they give Gase despite being their second choice coach behind Rhule.

edit: Gase looks like he's buzzed off his head on ekky's lmao :tearsofjoy:

Back