New Zealand Tour of India 2021 (3 T20's and 2 Tests)

Nuggetz

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 4, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
They're not mutually exclusive. Still absolutely diabolic umpiring.

They had more than enough time. They even had doubts to review it hence took their time. Easy to say on replay that it was a poor decision when live they even had doubts it could be overturned.

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
S'roos, New Jets, Cronulla
They had more than enough time. They even had doubts to review it hence took their time. Easy to say on replay that it was a poor decision when live they even had doubts it could be overturned.
I've written above that it was clearly missing and that was before I saw a replay. I also made comment on how bad it was from NZ. It was an extremely poor decision from the umpire and then another by Latham and Young.

Nuggetz

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 4, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
I've written above that it was clearly missing and that was before I saw a replay. I also made comment on how bad it was from NZ. It was an extremely poor decision from the umpire and then another by Latham and Young.

You made the comment watching on TV. Enough players thought it was worthy of a significant appeal and even the batsmen thought there was a likelihood it was out hence the delay on their review.

If not, then they would've reviewed it straight away. It looked bad on tv but not according to people on the field, including the nz batsmen who didn't review it straight away.

Santana

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 28, 2008
The Black Caps getting screwed by the umpires again, no surprises there, should have reviewed it though.
I really wish you could rate posts with one of those roll eye emojis at times like this.

Not sure what Latham was doing there. Surely he can see there's a good chance it's missing leg and he even looks over at the countdown clock just before it expired.

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, New York Yankees
Watching it live I wondered if it was turning too much, possibly missing leg. I thought it’d end up being umpires call so at least worth the review, no idea what they were both doing. By the time the two batsmen converged there was only 6-7 seconds left. Amateur stuff really in taking that long to decide. And it’s cost him his wicket.

Park cricketer

Club Legend
Nov 29, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
India deserve to lose this test for resting 5 first team players for a series against the top ranked side in the world and the reigning WTC champions. It is bordering on arrogance and I can't understand the decision at all. BCCI probably wanted to rest the players before the test tour of South Africa, a series that might not even happen given the outbreak of the new covid strain there. We might be in an embarrassing situation where we might be losing a test with the likes of Rohit, Pant, Bumrah, Shami, etc., sitting on their backsides and watching the series from their sofa, resting for a series that's probably not going to happen. Terrible short sightedness from the BCCI.

Santana

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 28, 2008
1638137364493.png

Not sure what Somerville adds to this NZ side.

They should have picked Wagner - India only have Jadeja as a left-hander in the top 7. Wagner's capable of bowling long dry spells like a spinner as well.

India deserve to lose this test for resting 5 first team players for a series against the top ranked side in the world and the reigning WTC champions. It is bordering on arrogance and I can't understand the decision at all. BCCI probably wanted to rest the players before the test tour of South Africa, a series that might not even happen given the outbreak of the new covid strain there. We might be in an embarrassing situation where we might be losing a test with the likes of Rohit, Pant, Bumrah, Shami, etc., sitting on their backsides and watching the series from their sofa, resting for a series that's probably not going to happen. Terrible short sightedness from the BCCI.
Do you understand how much cricket
these players have played in the past few months. IPL followed by the T20WC, followed by this. Though I’m not happy with Kohli deciding to take the one game off. Should either have played both or none

Santana

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 28, 2008
Not sure what Somerville adds to this NZ side.
They're playing in India and you generally have to pick 2 front-line spinners. Problem is New Zealand is lacking in the spin department.

They can pick 3 pace bowlers for the next test but I am sure the Mumbai curator will have some fun with that.

Park cricketer

Club Legend
Nov 29, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Do you understand how much cricket
these players have played in the past few months. IPL followed by the T20WC, followed by this. Though I’m not happy with Kohli deciding to take the one game off. Should either have played both or none

There was no need for the likes of Rohit and Pant to play the pointless T20 series and rest in the Test series.

Now RohitSharma will be at home in Mumbai just a few minutes from the stadium, but munching on his favourite snack and watching the match instead of playing in it.

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams

They wouldn’t have had any idea about the new strain etc at the time of making that decision. That’s new information that is very easy now to point at in hindsight.

Park cricketer

Club Legend
Nov 29, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide

It is a minor miracle how much success we have had this year in Test cricket with Pujara, Kohli and Rahane contributing basically nothing. If it was not for the big man RohitSharma and the brilliance of the bowlers, we would've been competing for the 6th place with such a crap middle order.

This is seriously getting embarrassing when the selectors are going to pull the plug on Rahane and Pujara (Kohli won't get dropped anyway).

Park cricketer

Club Legend
Nov 29, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
They wouldn’t have had any idea about the new strain etc at the time of making that decision. That’s new information that is very easy now to point at in hindsight.

Regardless, I still feel we shouldn't be playing an under strength side vs a side like New Zealand in Test cricket. I can understand if the absences were forced through injuries like KL Rahul, but the rest of the players are simply being 'rested'. Could've easily played an all IPL side for the T20 series, resting the Test players.

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Regardless, I still feel we shouldn't be playing an under strength side vs a side like New Zealand in Test cricket. I can understand if the absences were forced through injuries like KL Rahul, but the rest of the players are simply being 'rested'. Could've easily played an all IPL side for the T20 series, resting the Test players.

After India's win at the Gabba, one of the great test victories of all time, there’s a lot of resilience in their squad that they can still get results with some of their best players missing. I still think India wins today, New Zealand are very much capable of chasing that of course however I think the target 50-60 runs beyond them. Time will tell.

Nuggetz

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 4, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
Fascinating day of cricket coming up, India could finish them off quickly with the pitch staying very low and plenty of turn. I hope NZ can show a bit of resistance, first hour will be crucial.

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Still an absolute howler of a decision .

Just because NZ didnt review in time doesn't make it a good decision .

It was terrible decision making all round .

My only rationale for why he gave it out was because it struck so low on the pad. It was difficult to gauge how much the ball was spinning. On replay though, wow. Missing leg stump by a long way. And I wonder is that why the non striker was also so slow/hesitant to say “you gotta review that”.

Back