New Zealand Tour of India 2021 (3 T20's and 2 Tests)

Remove this Banner Ad

Averaging 19 this year and 34 in the last 5 years. With the quality currently waiting in the wings his position is very very shaky.
If India were smart and had some backbone they'd drop him for Mumbai.

This test could have easily turned against them. They are playing with fire if they play Kohli/Rahane/Pujara all together

That’s slightly unfair I feel.

What is it that generally gives India the most advantage when they are at home?

It’s not their batsmen.

They have two spinners in that team who’s records sit alongside anyone that’s ever represented their nation, on a pitch that suited them.

For all the talk about players missing from India’s team, they could regularly field a third string top six and still win most test matches at home. Hell, Bangladesh do it - field 2-3 decent spinners and a fairly ordinary batting order and it’s still enough to win a fair few home tests.

New Zealand did have an opportunity in this match but it was because they earned it as much as it was because Kohli and Sharma weren’t there.
Their batsmen clearly play a big part in it. Their top batsmen are usually good at playing spin.

They were probably missing Rahul and Pant more than Kohli tbh

Not too mention their best 2 pacemen not playing

also fair play to NZ, they could have easily wasted time intentionally or for longer periods. But in the spirit of the game they just got along with it. Yes they had instances where they checked with the umpires on the light but I don't think they did anything outside the 'rules' of the game. Have seen other teams look to waste much more time especially with bad light around.

In a way thats a reflection of their character in cricket in general.

also fair play to NZ, they could have easily wasted time intentionally or for longer periods. But in the spirit of the game they just got along with it. Yes they had instances where they checked with the umpires on the light but I don't think they did anything outside the 'rules' of the game. Have seen other teams look to waste much more time especially with bad light around.

In a way thats a reflection of their character in cricket in general.
They were trying to waste time yesterday.

It's amazing that with a bit of reputation, what some teams can get away with.

Their batsmen clearly play a big part in it. Their top batsmen are usually good at playing spin.

They were probably missing Rahul and Pant more than Kohli tbh

Not too mention their best 2 pacemen not playing

I think their quicks level out a bit at home. Yes Pant missing was a big out that’s true, but I stand by it - it’s generally visiting teams’ inability to cope with spin that undoes them so there was still a tonne of merit in this result, albeit they still struggled with spin

India have noone but themselves to blame for dropping points at home.

You don't name an under strength side vs the top ranked side at home, regardless of how great or incredible your home record is. It's not like you're playing Sri Lanka or Bangladesh at home. Now the Kiwis are in a position to take the series with a win at Mumbai and deservedly so if they do.

I think their quicks level out a bit at home. Yes Pant missing was a big out that’s true, but I stand by it - it’s generally visiting teams’ inability to cope with spin that undoes them so there was still a tonne of merit in this result, albeit they still struggled with spin
If India had their full batting lineup they could have easily batted New Zealand out of the match in the 1st innings. Not to mention India's pacemen were petty meh this game.

I'd love to play India with this squad and in a 2 match series. Still not an easy task for sure, but if New Zealand is the best team as I've been told by many they are, then surely they will feel a bit flat if they don't win in Mumbai. They won't get any better shots winning there than now.

Great effort from the boys especially as they had no warm up matches. That was Taylor's 1st cricket match (any format) since the WTC final, and Somerville's 1st since about March. Some of them were rusty but we got a meritorious draw against the world's 2nd best team in very tough conditions. Real shame Conway is injured. The only change should be Wagner for Somerville, but I'd also like to see Phillips for Nicholls (although that won't happen).

Enthralling day's play, NZ with an amazing 1st session then India's great fightback and NZ tail hanging on for the draw. Latham/Somerville/Ravindra with fantastic knocks under immense pressure, especially Ravindra. Great finish to a really good test match.

Awesome watch last night, nothing beats an enthralling Test Match. The no 11 for NZ really did look solid especially coming in under those circumstances.

Great effort from the boys especially as they had no warm up matches. That was Taylor's 1st cricket match (any format) since the WTC final, and Somerville's 1st since about March. Some of them were rusty but we got a meritorious draw against the world's 2nd best team in very tough conditions. Real shame Conway is injured. The only change should be Wagner for Somerville, but I'd also like to see Phillips for Nicholls (although that won't happen).

Those are the changes I’d do, although I’d consider Mitchell instead of Phillips as the change for Nicholls. Henry’s been a walking wicket against spin for a while now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Awesome watch last night, nothing beats an enthralling Test Match. The no 11 for NZ really did look solid especially coming in under those circumstances.

Agreed. I know very little about him however he seemed to have a rock solid defence, much better than a traditional number 11 (with all due respect to them of course). Didn’t really look too fazed and I was impressed that Ravindra didn’t look to farm the strike - he was actually happy to take the single off the second or third ball of the over.

Trusting his partner will be able to see out the remaining balls. Credit to them both. Takes a lot of skill and steel to keep out world class spinners on their home deck late on day 5.

A report says that Pujara will make way for Rahane today. Rahane must be a really likable guy.

Lots of Rain in Mumbai for the led-up. Wonder what effect that will have on the pitch. Haven't played a Test at this ground in 5 years so I wonder how much spin it will take. Can't even remember the last test I watched there.

Yes it certainly deserves more than 2 Tests, possibly even 5. The two best teams in the world is surely worthy of more, however such is the volume of cricket played that its difficult to schedule that in. I wish it was different.

Sounding like there is a chance that Williamson will not play because of his elbow.

Rahane, Sharma and Jadeja all out for India

Match has been delayed because of a wet field. No toss done yet.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back