New Zealand Tour of India 2021 (3 T20's and 2 Tests)

Remove this Banner Ad

Who in world cricket at the moment is actually challenging India at home?

Yes it was a poor innings with the bat but they did just scratch out a draw against Ashwin/Axar/Jadeja which is better then most.

Considering we can't even beat India playing their B team in Australia I don't want to think about how poor we are going to go against them, especially if Lyon is past it.

Yes that’s true. The lineup that won here at the Gabba last season I wouldn’t even call their B team, it was more like a third string XI. Washington and Natarajan were essentially their net bowlers for that tour. Yet the still got the job done, India’s bench strength is considerable.

New Zealand were outstanding to conjure a draw on day 5 of the first test. Absolute credit to them. They’d be bitterly disappointed that they folded so meekly in their first innings, especially when I thought they could ride that wave of momentum from Ajaz’s 10 wickets.

Well that didn't last long, couldn't even make it through the first hour but at least we put up a better fight than we did in the first innings.

Ajaz Patel should get the MOTM award too despite his team getting thrashed, that wouldn't happen too often.

NZ lost 5 for 5 this morning and it’s all wrapped up in under 45 minutes. A very average batting display this Test, their 20 wickets fell in only 85 overs for the match.

What pettiness is this. A bloke gets all 10 wickets in an innings and he still doesn't get the man of the match just because he ends up in the losing side.

Yeah it was surprising that Ajaz didn't get it, people will remember his 10 wickets in an innings more than they will remember Agarwal's ton.

That being said it would have been odd for a player from a team that got thrashed winning the MOTM, it usually goes to a player from the winning team.

I really do not think it matters that much who gets MOM at the end of the day.

Should have Ajaz have gotten it? Probably, but a big reason he even got a 10er was because of how bad most of his other teammates were, which is reflected in the end result. Agarwal's 1st innings really set up India for the win, hell he almost out scored NZ himself in the match. Both would have been worthy winners, but as I said, it's just a MOM award.

Yeah it was surprising that Ajaz didn't get it, people will remember his 10 wickets in an innings more than they will remember Agarwal's ton.

That being said it would have been odd for a player from a team that got thrashed winning the MOTM, it usually goes to a player from the winning team.

plenty of MoM has gone to players in losing teams. Brian Lara basically made a career out of it.

I thought it was really poor form not to give Ajaz the MoM. I mean really. Agarwal got some good runs in the first innings and the 2nd innings was complete junk time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who in world cricket at the moment is actually challenging India at home?

Yes it was a poor innings with the bat but they did just scratch out a draw against Ashwin/Axar/Jadeja which is better then most.

Considering we can't even beat India playing their B team in Australia I don't want to think about how poor we are going to go against them, especially if Lyon is past it.
They could pick a 2nd xi that beats most test sides in India and is super competitive possible even beating the best sides.

There depth is incredible but not unexpected

I mean, he's only got 14 wickets for the test with 10 in an innings.

Think this is another manifestation of the 'who gives a fu** about bowling' thing that permeates cricket from time to time.
That and a home town decision . Could you imagine Ashwin taking a 10fa and not getting it despite what an opposition player did ?
Its a shocker .

Actually my biggest takeaway from this series is, watch out for NZ now that they actually have a spinner! (currently with a better average and economy rate than Nathan Lyon).

As if the Kiwis were ever beating India in this match after the latter got kissed on the d*** with both tosses and NZ missing their two best world-class bats. They never should have played Somerville instead of Wagner either, big mistake.
India did show impressive batting depth though, but I feel like everyone already knew that about them.

Young
Latham
Williamson
Conway
Nichols
Blundell
Mitchell / de Grandhomme
Jamieson
Southee
Wagner / Ferguson
Boult / Patel

This is the makings of an extremely well-rounded team in different conditions.

Not sure missing 2 first choice batsmen is an acceptable mitigating factor for losing all 20 wickets in approx 85 overs for the test. India missing ~5 of their first XI players as well.

This was insipid from New Zealand. Even Ajaz showed more with the bat than some of his teammates, not out in three consecutive innings by him.

Not sure missing 2 first choice batsmen is an acceptable mitigating factor for losing all 20 wickets in approx 85 overs for the test. India missing ~5 of their first XI players as well.

This was insipid from New Zealand. Even Ajaz showed more with the bat than some of his teammates, not out in three consecutive innings by him.

No actually what is insipid is India getting rolled 2-0 in New Zealand as a basically full strength team against a country you have a massive economic, population, and systemic advantage over in a sport

Take Steve Smith and Manus Labuschagne out tomorrow and select Ashton Agar instead of Josh Hazlewood and who do you think becomes favourites for the test at the Gabba?

Geez it's really inspid when your population is just a few truckfuls of sheep compared to another nation and getting blown away in ONE match, without your best batters, in conditions you barely ever play in against the hardest team to beat at home. Okay then.

Actually my biggest takeaway from this series is, watch out for NZ now that they actually have a spinner! (currently with a better average and economy rate than Nathan Lyon).
Looooooooooool comparing the numbers of a 100 test match player to a 10 match player. Okay dude

Weird last couple of posts from you. Coping for New Zealand's missing players when India was missing more.

No actually what is insipid is India getting rolled 2-0 in New Zealand as a basically full strength team against a country you have a massive economic, population, and systemic advantage over in a sport

Take Steve Smith and Manus Labuschagne out tomorrow and select Ashton Agar instead of Josh Hazlewood and who do you think becomes favourites for the test at the Gabba?

Geez it's really inspid when your population is just a few truckfuls of sheep compared to another nation and getting blown away in ONE match, without your best batters, in conditions you barely ever play in against the hardest team to beat at home. Okay then.

One of the most nonsensical posts I’ve in a long time. Who is “you” and “your?”. I’m not Indian.

Okay then.

Always amusing to see the chip on the shoulder Pakistanis have when it comes to India and its cricket.:p

Always amusing to see the chip on the shoulder Pakistanis have when it comes to India and its cricket.:p
It's actually more that NZ are probably my 2nd favourite team these days haha.
In hindsight i was a little harsh on India's performance here (their batting depth is close to brilliant and Siraj is shaping up very nicely along with Axar)

But i stand by what i said about NZ not doing too badly....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back