Remove this Banner Ad

Carbine Chaos

See my Chess
Apr 1, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Demons, Everton
What team that’s never won in a SENA nation plays the world champions and is expected to suddenly win 2 in a row?
I didn’t say I expected them to win. I understand what constitutes a ‘good’ performance is relative.

I just want a consistency competitive Bangladesh outfit, but I feel like I’ve been pining for that for around a decade now. They put it together in bursts, but at what point does that not become enough?

Plugger35

The umpires are always right!
Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
Boult gets his 300th test wicket, Bangladesh 7 wickets down now.

PhatBoy

Hall of Famer
May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Is it just me or do Bangladesh batsmen as a rule play the hook and pull a lot more than the other Asian sides?

Their very first test standard batsman Habibul Bashar was chronic for it and they seem to have a lot of guys who compulsively play it

Plugger35

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Make that 8 wickets down, Bangladesh could be bowled out before stumps.

Plugger35

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Is it just me or do Bangladesh batsmen as a rule play the hook and pull a lot more than the other Asian sides?

Their very first test standard batsman Habibul Bashar was chronic for it and they seem to have a lot of guys who compulsively play it

Most of their batsman are quite short so playing the pull and hook would be a necessity for them as a lot of balls would be bouncing up around their chest/head.

philreich

Hall of Famer
Mar 2, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Surely the only reason to not enforce the follow on here is to make sure the game goes into day 4.

PhatBoy

Hall of Famer
May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Surely the only reason to not enforce the follow on here is to make sure the game goes into day 4.

Worth remembering the third best batsman ever to play for their side is retiring at the end of this match and there are 3 days of cricket left in which to give him another innings

philreich

Hall of Famer
Mar 2, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Worth remembering the third best batsman ever to play for their side is retiring at the end of this match and there are 3 days of cricket left in which to give him another innings
Fair point - OK set them 650.

Plugger35

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Bangladesh bowled out for 126 with Boult getting a 5'fer.

That will probably be stumps so we might have to wait until tomorrow to see if the follow on has been enforced.

Costanza_

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
West Ham United

If there is rain around (forecast isn't terrible but might lose play Day 4) I imagine they will send them back in and make a certainty of it. Especially needing to win to draw the series. Taylor seems like a top bloke. Genuine, humble, soft spoken. I can't imagine he would want the team to give Bangladesh even the slightest chance of holding out for a rain-affected draw.

As an aside, I've only recently started paying more attention to non-Australian tests. It's nice reading along with these slow moving threads that aren't full of hysterical calls to execute players for a dropped catch, accusations of systematic cheating when an umpire doesn't give an LBW, or paranoid Victorian or WA fundamentalists making non-stop garbage posts about players outside their state.

PhatBoy

Hall of Famer
May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
If there is rain around (forecast isn't terrible but might lose play Day 4) I imagine they will send them back in and make a certainty of it. Especially needing to win to draw the series. Taylor seems like a top bloke. Genuine, humble, soft spoken. I can't imagine he would want the team to give Bangladesh even the slightest chance of holding out for a rain-affected draw.

As an aside, I've only recently started paying more attention to non-Australian tests. It's nice reading along with these slow moving threads that aren't full of hysterical calls to execute players for a dropped catch, accusations of systematic cheating when an umpire doesn't give an LBW, or paranoid Victorian or WA fundamentalists making non-stop garbage posts about players outside their state.

I think that’s one of the things that has ensured I never really lose my lack of love for the Australian team. The chat that emanates from many of the people that follow them is intolerable so it only serves to further push me to watch non-Aus cricket. And I love it. It’s so much easier to just appreciate what’s on the screen in front of you.

And the flip side of every team’s apparent inability to travel means that a lot of potentially one sided series actually become really entertaining - cricket in almost every country can offer something and even THIS sort of match up which everyone thought would be NZ 2-0 by an innings both tests can occasionally offer up a surprise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Passenger

Bugman & Programmer Extraordinaire
Mar 25, 2003
AFL Club
West Coast
Feels made that Trent Boult went 14 tests without 5-fa. Was still bowling well with a bowling average of 26 over those tests with five 4-fa's.

Game day threads are an absolute cesspool. Football ones aren't much better.

Jamurp

Premiership Player
Apr 26, 2011
AFL Club
Melbourne
Where to for NZ when Boult and Southee eventually retire? Jamieson still very young, but wondering who replaces them. NZ cricket seems in such a good spot though that someone goes out, and someone else comes in and is able to fill the void (think Young/Conway).

PhatBoy

Hall of Famer
May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Where to for NZ when Boult and Southee eventually retire? Jamieson still very young, but wondering who replaces them. NZ cricket seems in such a good spot though that someone goes out, and someone else comes in and is able to fill the void (think Young/Conway).

Mat Henry is in by default but I don’t rate him very highly

magpiemaniac44

Club Legend
Aug 19, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
San Antonio, Melbourne Stars
Hopefully Lockie Ferguson can get his body right, I think he has the potential to be an elite all format player.

Jamurp

Premiership Player
Apr 26, 2011
AFL Club
Melbourne
Hopefully Lockie Ferguson can get his body right, I think he has the potential to be an elite all format player.
agree about Ferguson, sort of bowler who could be effective in Australia too, but yeah, whenever he bowls he cops an injury it seems, doesn't look great for him in tests.

Santana

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 28, 2008
Is Ferguson even trying to play tests? Hasn't played an FC in almost 2 years. He's 30 now, he'd be better suited just focusing on white ball stuff.

Costanza_

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
West Ham United
Much better effort so far than their first innings. Doubt they will make NZ bat again, but a fighting 300-350 and taking it into Day 4 would salvage something from the test.

And they'll still be flying home with a 1-1 result in their pocket.

PhatBoy

Hall of Famer
May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Much better effort so far than their first innings. Doubt they will make NZ bat again, but a fighting 300-350 and taking it into Day 4 would salvage something from the test.

And they'll still be flying home with a 1-1 result in their pocket.

Without Tamim, Mushy and Shakib they have literally two even semi-proven test performers in Mominul and Das - Shanto has had an ok start to his career but he’s still only a dozen tests in. This is an absolutely threadbare batting line up so anything above 300 would be a good effort

PhatBoy

Hall of Famer
May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Wow did anyone else see the footage of the impromptu coaching session Southee and Jameson had with Bangladeshi quicks?

PhatBoy

Hall of Famer
May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
No. What sort of coaching session?

Well I don’t know how much of a
‘Practical’ component there was but Southee had Ebadot and Taskin listening intently while he showed them some wrist position and release stuff and Jamison was talking to the other quick who’s name escapes me and just passing on some tips about getting the ball to swing. It was good to see

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad