New Zealand vs Bangladesh (2 Tests)

Remove this Banner Ad

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
One step forward, two steps back...

Not really. No one expected them to go close to winning a test let alone actually winning one. What everyone expected probably in both games is what’s happened in this one. After the first test anything else is really irrelevant to what they would have been hoping to achieve for this series.

If they had 4-5 tests and they won the first and then the next 3-4 were complete drubbings that would be a step backwards but a 1-1 draw with a flogging in the second test doesn’t send them backwards IMO

to1994

Club Legend
Jul 8, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
It's nice that after how poorly the board treated Ross Taylor (and Brendon McCullum) in 2011/12 he's essentially been given a farewell summer which is fair enough with all he's given NZ Cricket.

I remember when Mike Hussey retired from Test Cricket, the selectors immediately removed him from the ODI side which he was gutted about, he'd planned to finish up by playing a last game in Perth.

There's a balance between honouring older players and doing what's best for the team moving forward, but in an era where senior players in their prime are prone to dropping off for T20 leagues it's important for long term moral to do right by your greats.

Not really. No one expected them to go close to winning a test let alone actually winning one. What everyone expected probably in both games is what’s happened in this one. After the first test anything else is really irrelevant to what they would have been hoping to achieve for this series.

If they had 4-5 tests and they won the first and then the next 3-4 were complete drubbings that would be a step backwards but a 1-1 draw with a flogging in the second test doesn’t send them backwards IMO
Reverting to type instantly does send them backwards because it is what happens every time they produce an outstanding performance. They’re not new to the international scene any more and it’s not good enough. Why aren’t expectations for them higher by now? Because they haven’t done enough with any consistency to earn any.

It’s not just this game, it’s a pattern they’ve exhibited for years now.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Reverting to type instantly does send them backwards because it is what happens every time they produce an outstanding performance. They’re not new to the international scene any more and it’s not good enough. Why aren’t expectations for them higher by now? Because they haven’t done enough with any consistency to earn any.

It’s not just this game, it’s a pattern they’ve exhibited for years now.

What team that’s never won in a SENA nation plays the world champions and is expected to suddenly win 2 in a row?

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Even today in two microcosmic periods Bangladesh have done something they may not have previously in a non Asian test: they fought back even when it was clear the game had gotten beyond them. NZ were basically 1-400: they took 5-150. Not great and it owed a lot to NZ’s push but hey, it looks a lot better than 1-600.
They’ve then slipped into 36 all out territory at 4-11 with all their remotely dependable batsmen missing (and remember their all time best batsman and two of the next best 3 ever are not playing this game) and they’ve at least gotten out of ‘complete embarrassment’ territory thanks to these two.

What team that’s never won in a SENA nation plays the world champions and is expected to suddenly win 2 in a row?
I didn’t say I expected them to win. I understand what constitutes a ‘good’ performance is relative.

I just want a consistency competitive Bangladesh outfit, but I feel like I’ve been pining for that for around a decade now. They put it together in bursts, but at what point does that not become enough?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Is it just me or do Bangladesh batsmen as a rule play the hook and pull a lot more than the other Asian sides?

Their very first test standard batsman Habibul Bashar was chronic for it and they seem to have a lot of guys who compulsively play it

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
Is it just me or do Bangladesh batsmen as a rule play the hook and pull a lot more than the other Asian sides?

Their very first test standard batsman Habibul Bashar was chronic for it and they seem to have a lot of guys who compulsively play it

Most of their batsman are quite short so playing the pull and hook would be a necessity for them as a lot of balls would be bouncing up around their chest/head.

Costanza_

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
West Ham United
Worth remembering the third best batsman ever to play for their side is retiring at the end of this match and there are 3 days of cricket left in which to give him another innings

If there is rain around (forecast isn't terrible but might lose play Day 4) I imagine they will send them back in and make a certainty of it. Especially needing to win to draw the series. Taylor seems like a top bloke. Genuine, humble, soft spoken. I can't imagine he would want the team to give Bangladesh even the slightest chance of holding out for a rain-affected draw.

As an aside, I've only recently started paying more attention to non-Australian tests. It's nice reading along with these slow moving threads that aren't full of hysterical calls to execute players for a dropped catch, accusations of systematic cheating when an umpire doesn't give an LBW, or paranoid Victorian or WA fundamentalists making non-stop garbage posts about players outside their state.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
If there is rain around (forecast isn't terrible but might lose play Day 4) I imagine they will send them back in and make a certainty of it. Especially needing to win to draw the series. Taylor seems like a top bloke. Genuine, humble, soft spoken. I can't imagine he would want the team to give Bangladesh even the slightest chance of holding out for a rain-affected draw.

As an aside, I've only recently started paying more attention to non-Australian tests. It's nice reading along with these slow moving threads that aren't full of hysterical calls to execute players for a dropped catch, accusations of systematic cheating when an umpire doesn't give an LBW, or paranoid Victorian or WA fundamentalists making non-stop garbage posts about players outside their state.

I think that’s one of the things that has ensured I never really lose my lack of love for the Australian team. The chat that emanates from many of the people that follow them is intolerable so it only serves to further push me to watch non-Aus cricket. And I love it. It’s so much easier to just appreciate what’s on the screen in front of you.

And the flip side of every team’s apparent inability to travel means that a lot of potentially one sided series actually become really entertaining - cricket in almost every country can offer something and even THIS sort of match up which everyone thought would be NZ 2-0 by an innings both tests can occasionally offer up a surprise.

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
Feels made that Trent Boult went 14 tests without 5-fa. Was still bowling well with a bowling average of 26 over those tests with five 4-fa's.

Game day threads are an absolute cesspool. Football ones aren't much better.

Jamurp

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2011
AFL Club
Melbourne
Where to for NZ when Boult and Southee eventually retire? Jamieson still very young, but wondering who replaces them. NZ cricket seems in such a good spot though that someone goes out, and someone else comes in and is able to fill the void (think Young/Conway).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back