New Zealand vs Bangladesh (2 Tests)

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Where to for NZ when Boult and Southee eventually retire? Jamieson still very young, but wondering who replaces them. NZ cricket seems in such a good spot though that someone goes out, and someone else comes in and is able to fill the void (think Young/Conway).

Mat Henry is in by default but I don’t rate him very highly

magpiemaniac44

Club Legend
Aug 19, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
San Antonio, Melbourne Stars
Where to for NZ when Boult and Southee eventually retire? Jamieson still very young, but wondering who replaces them. NZ cricket seems in such a good spot though that someone goes out, and someone else comes in and is able to fill the void (think Young/Conway).
Hopefully Lockie Ferguson can get his body right, I think he has the potential to be an elite all format player.

Costanza_

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
West Ham United
Much better effort so far than their first innings. Doubt they will make NZ bat again, but a fighting 300-350 and taking it into Day 4 would salvage something from the test.

And they'll still be flying home with a 1-1 result in their pocket.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Much better effort so far than their first innings. Doubt they will make NZ bat again, but a fighting 300-350 and taking it into Day 4 would salvage something from the test.

And they'll still be flying home with a 1-1 result in their pocket.

Without Tamim, Mushy and Shakib they have literally two even semi-proven test performers in Mominul and Das - Shanto has had an ok start to his career but he’s still only a dozen tests in. This is an absolutely threadbare batting line up so anything above 300 would be a good effort

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
No. What sort of coaching session?

Well I don’t know how much of a
‘Practical’ component there was but Southee had Ebadot and Taskin listening intently while he showed them some wrist position and release stuff and Jamison was talking to the other quick who’s name escapes me and just passing on some tips about getting the ball to swing. It was good to see

Costanza_

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
West Ham United
‘Practical’ component there was but Southee had Ebadot and Taskin listening intently while he showed them some wrist position and release stuff and Jamison was talking to the other quick who’s name escapes me and just passing on some tips about getting the ball to swing. It was good to see

There was some footage of Lyon and Root having a chat before play during the Sydney test, looked like Lyon was showing Root how to position his fingers/wrist when bowling. Was also great to see.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
There was some footage of Lyon and Root having a chat before play during the Sydney test, looked like Lyon was showing Root how to position his fingers/wrist when bowling. Was also great to see.

Wow that’s impressive on a couple of scores: Lyon wanting to impart some knowledge and a part timer who probably ends up having to bowl
More than he’d like being willing to try and get that sort of advice on how to improve

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
S'roos, New Jets, Cronulla
Yeah happens alot at international level which is surprising I think. Lyon was doing the same with Joe Root at the SCG for example.

Edit: Wow you guys type fast. Can't believe you managed to have a back and forth conversation about it while I was typing that out haha.

Nov 3, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
West Coast
As an aside, I've only recently started paying more attention to non-Australian tests. It's nice reading along with these slow moving threads that aren't full of hysterical calls to execute players for a dropped catch, accusations of systematic cheating when an umpire doesn't give an LBW, or paranoid Victorian or WA fundamentalists making non-stop garbage posts about players outside their state.

no lukeparkerno1 in any thread is a good thing :relieved:

Jamurp

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2011
AFL Club
Melbourne
Yeah happens alot at international level which is surprising I think. Lyon was doing the same with Joe Root at the SCG for example.

Edit: Wow you guys type fast. Can't believe you managed to have a back and forth conversation about it while I was typing that out haha.
as much as a flog that Warnie is, he's often seen giving advice to touring spinners if they want any, which is pretty awesome really, Wasim Akram is another who often comes down and talks to different bowlers and offers some advice.

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
Not surprising that Bangladesh are putting up a better fight in their 2nd innings, it usually happens when a team is made to follow on as the pitch is flatter and the bowlers aren't as fresh. Still a long way to go before NZ will have to bat again so they wouldn't be too concerned at this stage.

Costanza_

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
West Ham United
It's all happening. Overturned wicket, wicket, dropped catch in the space of 5 minutes.

1641866998140.png

Jamurp

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2011
AFL Club
Melbourne
He’s got a bit of Dickwella syndrome (albeit he has got a test century) in that he is very positive, has lots of good shots but finds ways to throw it away
Dickwella, haven't heard that name is a while, seemed to only play the ramp shot? Reckon Rizwan is the perfect combo of attack/defence player.

Back