Teams New Zealand Warriors

Remove this Banner Ad

Link

The new owners of the Warriors are wasting no time in making their presence felt, announcing the imminent culling of the club's U-20 team.

Just a day after declaring they'd be making no "radical changes" following the formal acceptance of their ownership bid, Auckland Rugby League Chairman Cameron McGregor told Newshub there are plans to withdraw the side from the Jersey Flegg Cup, formerly known as the NYC Cup.

Link

Warriors coach Stephen Kearney is anticipating another emotional week for his NRL side as they head to Christchurch to take on Manly on Saturday.
Less than two weeks after the terror attacks in the New Zealand city, the Sea Eagles will host the Warriors at Christchurch Stadium.

A heavy-hearted Warriors belted Canterbury in their season-opener in Auckland last week, but were fell back to earth when routed 34-6 by Wests Tigers at Campbelltown Stadium on Sunday.

"I thought it was a big week for the footy club last week as I said after that game, for a number of reasons," Kearney said after the loss to the Tigers.

All the best, Pete. One of the all time great servants of the game in New Zealand.

Link

Sir Peter Leitch, aka the Mad Butcher, is recovering in hospital after heart surgery last week.

Over the weekend, Leitch said on his Facebook page that he was recovering in hospital after "battling" for his life.

"I'm not gonna comment individually as I was not at the game ... but I've been [in] hospital battling for my life the last few days ...," he said in the comments section of a post.

"I'm just bloody grateful I woke up today."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just watched the Eels game, and was imagining Aucklander spitting feathers at that yellow card! Was that the most innocuous sin-binning ever? I thought it was just play on, or, if anything, a pen to the Warriors. But with hindsight, it looked like the turning point. Poor refereeing, and also, not for the first time this season, we saw 6-agains just dry up after half-time. If refs can't be consistent over 80 mins, what hope is there? Some wonderful scores, though.

Well done Warriors.:thumbsu:

I must admit I shed a tear yesterday. The farewell to Blair and just the way they've conducted themselves over the last few months, plus to top it off with a fantastic win when it looked like they might have gone down a bit too easily. Todd's done an amazing job and I wish him well at the Cowboys.

The hub really seems to have worked as they looked far more galvanised than they'd done for many years. Bound to be some great scenes when they get home and hopefully, there's a bit of a celebration for them.

Fantastic to also see the clubs and people saturating social media with gratitude too. Makes me incredibly proud. Hopefully, this is the dawning of a brand new Warriors.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back