Travel New Zealand

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by footylover18, Oct 16, 2008.

Put it out there
  1. footylover18

footylover18 Club Legend

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Accidently posted this in the General Discussion board.

Anyone been there for a holiday?

Care to suggest places to go etc? im going around the middle of the yr next yr

the skiing is supposed to be pretty good, milford sound looks incredible...

ill be going with my gf.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. thegreenmachine

thegreenmachine Cancelled

Carlton
    Other teams:
    There's only one!
    Been there before but not for a few years now. Been there twice before. Although my memory is more vague now, I still remember where I went and what the place was like as a spectacle. I've heard the landscape itself is quite different depending on where you go.
    And let me tell you mate, I ****in loved it and cannot wait to visit there again.:thumbsu::)
    If you're looking for advice on where to go, then I will tell you about where I remember going when I went there. I spent the majority of my time in Wellington, the capital of the country, or around the middle of the North Island, around Hamilton and Taupo. Taupo itself is a good place to stay as a holiday.
    Below I have provided a map of the country itself, of the major places in the country, got it off google maps. Sorry that part of it has not been included.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. JSFish

JSFish Norm Smith Medallist

Richmond
    Other teams:
    I've been to Queenstown on the South Island, and around the North Island for a couple of weeks. Stayed at Wellington, Auckland, Taupo, Rotarua, and the Bay of Islands.

Queenstown is fantastic, absolutely loved it.

Wellington is a good little city but **** me it's windy. Don't stay there for too long.

Auckland is nice also.

Really enjoyed Taupo, water in the lake is amazingly clear, same as everywhere in NZ actually, some good things to do.

Rotarua is definitely worth going to, Zorb Balling is great fun, and there are lots of geysers etc to visit. Smell isn't great, but we stayed just far enough out to avoid it.

Bay of Islands as a concept sounds good, and it's good fun, but it's a bit more of a shithole than you'd expect.

4. Bomber Bears

Bomber Bears Cancelled

Essendon
    Other teams:
    North Sydney, Liverpool, NSW
    I love NZ, freat country. In the North Island i have done the Tongariro crossing hike (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tongariro_Alpine_Crossing), which was good but pretty hectic conditions up the top, also been around Wellington which seemed like a decent city, caught the ferry across between the islands, down Kaikoura way and been to Christchurch on about 3 seperate occasions, due to having family living there. Great country to visit.

5. Bomber Bears

Bomber Bears Cancelled

Essendon
    Other teams:
    North Sydney, Liverpool, NSW
    Definately going to the snow there next season, probably to Queenstown, and i think i might go over there during the summer.

6. maccas_no1

maccas_no1 Suspended

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Glenelg, MUFC, Triple 8
    I went in April this year did Auckland, Hamilton (Hamilton 400) Rotaura and Bay of Islands, going back April next year and doing the whole North Island by motorhome, looking forward to it.

7. Chief

Chief Admin

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Anyone gotten any new experience with NZ in the last 8 years?

Might be going around Xmas time. Brochures show lots of LotR related stuff to do with the kids, sort of like half of England was "Harry Potter was shot here! (extremely minor scene which was cut from the final movie)"

Last edited: May 22, 2016
  8. isamedthegiants

isamedthegiants Club Legend

GWS
    Other teams:
    It's s great place.

Go, you'll love it. People are lovely, scenery fantastic. Great place to visit.

9. Jordie_tackles

Jordie_tackles Norm Smith Medallist

Melbourne
    Other teams:
    MCFC, COBC, GWFC, TFC
    Good, went caravanning around the South Island, enjoyed the Marlborough wine region, enjoyed Milford sound, lake wanaka and Queenstown.

10. jason pm

jason pm Brownlow Medallist

Brisbane Lions
    Other teams:
    Fortitude Valley Diehards
    Going to NZ for the first time with a couple of mates (Based in Queenstown) in November and doing the Routeburn Trek, we'll have a few spare days after the trek.

I've already booked in a Bungee jump, tandem skydive, jet boat and white water rafting, any other suggestions?