Travel New Zealand

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 19, 2006
nowhere
AFL Club
Essendon
Accidently posted this in the General Discussion board.

Anyone been there for a holiday?

Care to suggest places to go etc? im going around the middle of the yr next yr

the skiing is supposed to be pretty good, milford sound looks incredible...

ill be going with my gf.

Been there before but not for a few years now. Been there twice before. Although my memory is more vague now, I still remember where I went and what the place was like as a spectacle. I've heard the landscape itself is quite different depending on where you go.
And let me tell you mate, I ****in loved it and cannot wait to visit there again.:thumbsu::)
If you're looking for advice on where to go, then I will tell you about where I remember going when I went there. I spent the majority of my time in Wellington, the capital of the country, or around the middle of the North Island, around Hamilton and Taupo. Taupo itself is a good place to stay as a holiday.
Below I have provided a map of the country itself, of the major places in the country, got it off google maps. Sorry that part of it has not been included.
mt

mt

I've been to Queenstown on the South Island, and around the North Island for a couple of weeks. Stayed at Wellington, Auckland, Taupo, Rotarua, and the Bay of Islands.

Queenstown is fantastic, absolutely loved it.

Wellington is a good little city but **** me it's windy. Don't stay there for too long.

Auckland is nice also.

Really enjoyed Taupo, water in the lake is amazingly clear, same as everywhere in NZ actually, some good things to do.

Rotarua is definitely worth going to, Zorb Balling is great fun, and there are lots of geysers etc to visit. Smell isn't great, but we stayed just far enough out to avoid it.

Bay of Islands as a concept sounds good, and it's good fun, but it's a bit more of a shithole than you'd expect.

I love NZ, freat country. In the North Island i have done the Tongariro crossing hike (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tongariro_Alpine_Crossing), which was good but pretty hectic conditions up the top, also been around Wellington which seemed like a decent city, caught the ferry across between the islands, down Kaikoura way and been to Christchurch on about 3 seperate occasions, due to having family living there. Great country to visit.

Definately going to the snow there next season, probably to Queenstown, and i think i might go over there during the summer.

I went in April this year did Auckland, Hamilton (Hamilton 400) Rotaura and Bay of Islands, going back April next year and doing the whole North Island by motorhome, looking forward to it.

Anyone gotten any new experience with NZ in the last 8 years?

Might be going around Xmas time. Brochures show lots of LotR related stuff to do with the kids, sort of like half of England was "Harry Potter was shot here! (extremely minor scene which was cut from the final movie)"

Last edited:

Might be going around Xmas time. Brochures show lots of LotR related stuff with the kids, sort of like half of England was "Harry Potter was shot here! (extremely minor scene which was cut from the final movie)"
It's s great place.

Go, you'll love it. People are lovely, scenery fantastic. Great place to visit.

Might be going around Xmas time. Brochures show lots of LotR related stuff to do with the kids, sort of like half of England was "Harry Potter was shot here! (extremely minor scene which was cut from the final movie)"
Good, went caravanning around the South Island, enjoyed the Marlborough wine region, enjoyed Milford sound, lake wanaka and Queenstown.

Going to NZ for the first time with a couple of mates (Based in Queenstown) in November and doing the Routeburn Trek, we'll have a few spare days after the trek.

I've already booked in a Bungee jump, tandem skydive, jet boat and white water rafting, any other suggestions?

Got back from New Zealand a couple of weeks ago, absolutely loved it, based in Queenstown, what a beautiful part of the world, it was unseasonably snowy while we were there which made the treking even better. What a bloody rush the bungee was, wow, and the skydive. Also the best burger I've ever had at Fergburger, it definitely lived up to the hype.

I'll be going back.

Got back from New Zealand a couple of weeks ago, absolutely loved it, based in Queenstown, what a beautiful part of the world, it was unseasonably snowy while we were there which made the treking even better. What a bloody rush the bungee was, wow, and the skydive. Also the best burger I've ever had at Fergburger, it definitely lived up to the hype.

I'll be going back.

Loved it. Want to go back. But I don't think it gets unseasonably snowy. I went Mid Jan and there was snow on the mountains.

Loved it. Want to go back. But I don't think it gets unseasonably snowy. I went Mid Jan and there was snow on the mountains.
When I arrived I grabbed a taxi to come into town and I said to the driver- I didn't expect to see this much snow and he said- neither did we. The snow was 3/4 of the way down the mountains across from the lake. I haven't researched whether this was unusual or not and have no desire to do so, so I shall take your word for it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone been to the Abel Tasman park/Picton/Kaikoura? Is it worth doing these instead of the Southern part of the South Island?

Like the idea of the wineries and wildlife up there and figure the weather will be a little better than further South. Go in in March.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back