Newlands fallout: If you could decide the penalties

Remove this Banner Ad

I suspect the same would happen here. The issue would still linger in the background yes, but it wouldn't be nearly as much of an issue as it seems right now because time and punishment would have lessened its impact.
This is very naive.

I was thinking

Warner - 12 months but never to be selected again
Smith - 6 months , loses captaincy permanently.
Bancroft - 6 months
Lehmann - resigns or removed
Full review of team management structure

We will be more then competitive here against the Indians. There spin bowlers who trouble us so much on the sub continent are far less effective here .
Our pace bowling remains first class and will trouble there line up in our conditions

Its not all doom and gloom on playing front , regaining the public will be the tough one

Whole team and coaching staff banned for life and must take part in a program where they get regularly pelted by rotten fruit and vegetables by the public. Stripped of test ranking/demoted to associate status and only be allowed as a full member country again after a 5 year probation period. Stripped of all accomplishments including all WC victories.

I think that's a fair punishment.

Remove Smith from captaincy and tour.
Remove Warner from vice-captaincy and tour.
Remove Bancroft from tour.
Figure out a way to get Lehmann+Saker out once everything has died down.
Ask the ICC to create clear distinctions between what is and isn't allowed, and ask them to enforce heavier penalties for those break the newly agreed to code of conduct from then on.

What has actually been done has little to do with what happened, and much to do with public relations.

Whole team and coaching staff banned for life and must take part in a program where they get regularly pelted by rotten fruit and vegetables by the public. Stripped of test ranking/demoted to associate status and only be allowed as a full member country again after a 5 year probation period. Stripped of all accomplishments including all WC victories.

I think that's a fair punishment.

Love to know the suggested punishments you had with Pakistan and South Africa for match fixing.

12 Month International ban really turns into a 14 Month ban because at this stage there's nothing scheduled for April and May next year. Then you're straight into a World Cup and then Ashes.

Really in two minds over this one. For me it would have been a bit of a copout to ban them just for a pretty quiet six months.

You will think smith and Bancroft will look to play country cricket in 2019 in order to get some cricket, unless they rush smithy in for the tour to Pakistan.

Warner will just be off playing t20

Best thing ive read. The ability of Australians to turn on our own is startling.

I honestly hope India sweep us over the summer. After all thats what the media and Australian public wanted.

If i was Steve Smith, id retire from Test cricket and just focus on making cash playing the 20/20 circuit once the ban is over. See how much we enjoy watching a noncompetitive test team for the next 5 years just so we could sit on our high horse.

As an Australian supporter, I can't agree with this post, but I can certainly sympathise with its sentiment.

The witch-hunting for what amounts to cricket's version of a summary offence is an absolute disgrace. Our cricketers have IMO been jailed for a year over a summary offence (forgive the analogy).

Part of me thinks that if India wins this summer (IMO a very real possibility), it would well and truly serve CA right for bowling to pressure from sponsors (many of whom are leaving anyway) and a public that would have mostly moved on to other outrages. Also, if India wins this summer you'll see a whole chorus of complaints from the same people who wanted Smith/Warner/Bancroft rubbed out, plus reduced revenue/attendances/ratings. At this point I would just engage in a spot of schadenfreude at the complainers. Wasn't the absence of Smith/Warner/Bancroft what they wanted in the first place? If so, they own this loss because let's face it, Smith would very likely have scored runs aplenty against the Indians.*

*N.B: Warner isn't realistically playing internationals after this, while Bancroft's loss to the side will be covered by Renshaw/Burns at least.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back