News from the Melbourne Football Club

Remove this Banner Ad

dee_girl9

Premiership Player
Jan 20, 2001
don't know. Too drunk to know, too pissed to care!
Other Teams
Melbourne ...HELLO i mean how easy?
okay well there have been some recent developments at the club over the last two days regarding the playing list for season 2001 and also the captaincy group for this year.

1. Darren Jolly has been promoted to the Seasons list after Daniel Breese injured his knee playing for Sandringham. Scans revealed that Breese would need a full knee reconstruction and would miss the full year.
frown.gif

2. Late yesterday (21-3) Schwarta announced that he will not be vice captain at the club this year.
Although, David's pre-season has been interrupted as he struggled to overcome injury, he told his teammates that he had not lost his hunger for the game, and was keen to commit himself to the Club's vision of once again playing finals football. (thanxs MFC website for that quote)
The club will name its new vice captain at the season launch on March 27th.

The injury ans suspension list looks a bit like this as of monday the 19th
Injuries:

There were no injuries from Saturday's match in Hobart.

Ingerson Knee Available
Whelan Quad Test
Johnstone Groin 2 - 3 weeks
J.McDonald Knee Available Round 4
Simmonds Ankle Available Round 4
Powell Osteitis Pubis Mid - season

Farmer Suspension Available Round 2
(thanxs again to the mfc website for that info)
and of course Brent Grgic was fined the mandatory $1200 for giving the ump an earful of dirty words in Hobart on the weekend. Although he was just trying to tell the ump what a fantastic job he was doing, but they didnt want to know (how rude!)
rolleyes.gif

anyway that is pretty much the latest news for now, ill try and keep u posted on any breaking news.
Chow !!!

just another thing about Schwarta
dont be surprised if this is his last year. in light of the news about his resignation of the vice captaincy role, and his loss of hunger for the game i wouldnt be surprised if he said at the end of the season that he's done. About three years ago in an interview he said that he would probably play for about 4 more years, and by my calculations that time is almost up. he has had an interrupted pre season this year with injuries, and the loss of a close family friend.

i know that it is hard to believe but i think things are starting to catch up to David, and with everything he has been through with his injuries and all, im not surprised if he says that it is all over at the end of 2001. I know it is hard to believe the melbourne footy club without such a champion like David, but we as supporters would have to face the facts, that he isnt going to be around foreva.

The good thing is that he is going to concentrate on footy and his goal this season is to repeat the success of last year, and go that extra step.

Schwarta, mate we hope this isnt true, and that u r not going to retire but no matter what u r an absolute legend, and a great asset to this club. hopefully you'll do well this year.
smile.gif

I think it is a good move by the club to remove Schwarz as vice captain.

------------------
The Melbourne Football Club: Tradition, Heritage, Excitement

I just get annoyed with him. He makes silly comments that are detrimental. With Neitz, he is quiet, takes things in his stride and won't say anything to motivate the opposition. One in particular I remember is when Schwarz was on the Footy Show, he said "I never tip Fremantle". I still like and respect him, I am just glad he was not captain.

------------------

i never thought i would say this Dees 01 but i am in total agreeance with u.

The thing that i admire about David is that he is brutally honest, and he doesnt care what people think about him, he says what he feels. Unfortunately, like u said it motivates the opposition. but u have to admire him all the same, he is a champion of the club.

Who should be the new Vice Captain then? Chell maybe, but i think Woey will get him some how, i just have a feeling he will

------------------
this is my team and these r my boys, and if u mess with them, i'll kick your arse !!!

I am glad we finally agree dee girl! I think Woey should get it. He deserves it and he sets a good example.

------------------

oooh, dees01, i alos agree that woey should get it!!!
biggrin.gif

i think its REALLY sad to see dave go, and i hope soooo much that he plays another yr after this one, it just won't be the same without him! but just like with lyon, viney and stynes, we got along with it, and this is onely one star player, i'm sure we'll be fine!
we'll miss ya schwarta!

GO DEES!!!

------------------
I luv shane woewodin. and the mighty dees whether or not you like it!!!

can i just remind people -
smile.gif
faces please, the guy isnt dead u know, he just stepped down from the vice captaincy. im sure that when he does retire he'll be in the media or something. and if hes not then he'll be at his pub. which mind u is pretty damn good. for those who dont know where it is, its the The Crockford Bay Hotel, on the cnrs of crockford and bay sts Port Melbourne.

go down and see the guys, i dont know if hoppy or matty febey r in it with him still but its a good pub. they have pretty good aftermatches sometimes after the games aswell so head on down there if u can

------------------
this is my team and these r my boys, and if u mess with them, i'll kick your arse !!!

this sadeness me greatly and i must say that although i haven't followed the club for a very long time i believe that indid Schwarta is undoubtfully a legend no matter what he says or does, deep down he is very passionate and he deserved to be the vice captain! if he decides to retire than its up to him let just hope that his last year which will possibly see Febey retire too, be a good and memorable one for those guys!

------------------
Footy. It was just a sport.
But now it's also a business.
However, according to the fans it's a religion,where the people rule!

The Mighty Melbourne Demons- My passion, My obsession!

I love David and wish him well.
I would have had him as captain. (so what if he motivates the opposition - he also movitivates Melb into action, no so Neita..who although a nice guy, is no leader.) IMO.
David will make a good coach one day, but I feel he needs a break away from the game.
I love his honesty...and that's the reason why I like r/l as well, because there they have a different culture to ours. (mind you there's good and bad points about this though).
Has David a knee injury again...that's the whisper I heard and not a back injury.?
Cheers guys.
GO DEMONS
GO STORM

Whatever injury Schwartz had, he doesn't have it anymore. He got through 3 quarters in Tasmania angainst Collingwood, so he should be a certainty to line up against Richmond in round 1.

i was a bit surprised to hear on the footy show yesterday that he doesn't think he could get through 22 weeks of training... he looks fitter than he did last year so its a bit surprising but come to think of it i went to training a fair bit over the summer and not once have i seen him train.
In any case i respect his decision and as he said just becuase i dont have the title doesn't mean i dont have a leader roll!

GO DEES!
smile.gif

------------------
Footy. It was just a sport.
But now it's also a business.
However, according to the fans it's a religion,where the people rule!

The Mighty Melbourne Demons- My passion, My obsession!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Actually David doesnt look fitter than last year, he looks a lot more laxidazical this year, and now we know why. Look i wouldnt be surprised if he cant make it through the season, he has placed a lot of wear and tear on his body over the years and its catching up with him. I saw david last pre season and he was on fire. he was motivated to get to training and get into things.

And it is a hamstring injury not a knee injury that has been holding him up.

------------------

Going by what he said on The Footy Show, I will be surprised if he goes on after this year. Which will be sad.

------------------

[This message has been edited by dees01 (edited 23 March 2001).]

The Trent Goodrem thread makes more sense than this one.
It looks as though there were only 2 demon posters in 2001 - but unusually a 50/50 gender balance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back